• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

Jeremy Igo

Just now, CatTower said:

Kyle Allen is an undrafted free agent.  Putting up 1 good game when teams don't have any tape to properly prepare to defend you is not a rare thing.  

Grier has the tools necessary to be a starting QB in the NFL.  

If you guys are really happy about having Allen as the backup, you must just be a fan of getting the #1 pick in the draft.  Yikes!

What tools? He has a weak arm, and was apart of a system that's notorious for pumping up college quarterback numbers.

7 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Forrest. Trees. If you thought that was an argument for the success of Ryan Mallet I don't know what to tell you. It was Belichick kicking the tires of a high potential backup, which he does a decent amount. Which we're now doing, with an injured QB, for the first time in 8 years. 

Grier wasn't drafted to be our starting QB now, and probably not even in the future.  He's drafted to be a competent backup, maybe turn him into trade bait, maybe win a game or two if Cam's hurt. People are losing their minds, because a backup QB was drafted, in essentially the 4th round.  We pick again soon, where we can grab a WR, CB, FS, DT, etc. We also have a second, and third wave of FA to get through.  

Again, people are freaking out and treating this as a team breaking decision when a Rashaan Gaulden type pick is what we're talking about. I would've rather they waited to get Grier, but complaining about it being pick 100 is kinda insanity. 

Thank you. I couldn't agree more. Some of y'all will never be happy, no matter what happens. It's hard to read any of this. Most people are crying for a game changing day 1 starter at safety at pick 100...We tried that last year with Gaulden. He still has time, but that's the type of player you get at this point in the draft. Also, he was taken at 85...I like the insurance.

Thanks for being the most rational person in this thread

13 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Citation needed, he isn't close to the top.

If he was anything even top 5 he'd have been offered a spot immediately after being canned. Funny how no one even so much as mentions his name in football nevermind even being a top GM or poo even a GM at all. When GMan was here you heard about him and from other people in the media and poo as if he's done something. And that is GMan lol....

From 2005-2014 

2,465 players were drafted, if we go by a player starting for half his career. Only 629 players drafted had successful careers or were good picks. That's 25% hit rate on draft picks starting 50% of thier careers. 

That's not pro bowl or anything like that, just a normal borderline starter. 

Now stay with me and I'll show you how much of a gamble drafting is in the NFL. 

The average career in the NFL is 3.3 years or 52 games. A player who started for 26 games is a successful pick and that only happens 25% of the time. So 629 players from a 10 year period were able to start 26 games in thier respective careers. 

Now as for probowlers, well let's just say it's way less then 25% and Hurney has a probowlers success rate of 62.5% per draft. So Hurney has a better chance of drafting a probowler each year then most GM's have of just selecting a player in the first that will play 26 games. 

The percentages never fluctuate really, pretty consistent no matter the time period you look at. 50% of first round picks have a av of over 5 (average player). Ect..

Cam isn’t getting any younger, we need a solid option behind him in case he gets hurt again. His shoulder might not even be 100% this season, we need a damn backup. And have for years.

If he becomes a solid backup, this will be a nice pick late in the 3rd round.

Just now, Panthers8969 said:

Ok by that dumbass logic why don’t we draft a qb in the sixth bc every 6th rounder is Tom Brady? Just like every 3rd is Russel Wilson? Oh wait, more often than not 3rd round qbs suck ****

Because he said 3rd rd QBs never start. See the words in the box above the post? That's called a quote. You use those to show what you are reacting to, and what you are referencing. Anything else you need help understanding?

1 minute ago, CatTower said:

Kyle Allen is an undrafted free agent.  Putting up 1 good game when teams don't have any tape to properly prepare to defend you is not a rare thing.  

If you guys are really happy about having Allen as the backup, you must just be a fan of getting the #1 pick in the draft.  Yikes!

I’ve been a diehard before Cam and will continue to be after Cam, it’s still a luxuary pick we can not afford. Not taking anything away from Will, he’s a solid player, just not a good pick. 

48 minutes ago, top dawg said:

"Great safeties and corners," and "many" at that at the end of the third?

Come on, man. 

The outrage over this is hysterical. It’s basically an early 4th round pick... We’ve needed a backup QB since DA looked like trash against the Bucs a few years ago (and he was known as the Bucs killed....). This was a good pick whether he’s a long term option at backup or insurance for Cam’s shoulder. He works for both as far as I’m concerned. 

1 minute ago, CatTower said:

People ITT acting furious that we aren't patching all the holes to fill our most immediate needs. Complaining that we're drafting a value QB instead of a FS is basically saying we should draft as though everything is going to go exactly perfectly as planned. No need to account for contingencies. 

I get the Hurney draft philosophy. He's basically betting on black on the roulette wheel and complainers are like, "that's fugging stupid! We should be betting on 7! That's the best case scenario. If we hit it we'll be rich!" But it's also super low probability. And given that we got a QB with a bum shoulder, I'm not ready to abandon the entire season in the not unlikely event Cam misses time. 

Archived