• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney tried to trade up into the 20s for Greg Little

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

As stated by Max Henson just now on Twitter.

Hurney says many teams got it wrong about Little. He is a franchise LT.

The fact that he *failed* to trade up says something has changed about Hurney.  He didn't over-extend, he knew what he thought we should pay and stuck to his guns.  Lot of people crapping on our trade up, I dunno, I think they're wrong.  We traded up to only 5 picks into round 2 and got a guy that had first round potential on a lot of boards.  I'm ok with it.

16 minutes ago, rayzor said:

still a weak comparison. again I ask, how much work did hurney do looking at this guy? how many visits? 

Again, more work doesn't guarantee it's the right call.

You're invoking Hurney's history of success with first rounders. I'm referencing his failures taking players that the rest of the league passed on. The reality is that both of those things are valid. One or the other of these things will apply to Little, but we don't know which one.

I hope it's yours, but it could be mine.

Given that this is  Matso's guy and he will be coaching him up I feel optimistic this is going to work out. I don't care about the past, I am all about the now. Hurney isn't making the choices, he is getting the guys that his people tell him to get. Given what Matso has done with lesser talent, why would you think this isn't going to work out?  What happened a decade ago?

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Given that this is  Matso's guy and he will be coaching him up I feel optimistic this is going to work out. I don't care about the past, I am all about the now. Hurney isn't making the choices, he is getting the guys that his people tell him to get. Given what Matso has done with lesser talent, why would you think this isn't going to work out?  What happened a decade ago?

That's the thing I was saying about Matsko and lesser talent...he got a 1st rounder to work with now so if anyone can get him to his full 1st round potential it'd be him.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, more work doesn't guarantee it's the right call.

You're invoking Hurney's history of success with first rounders. I'm referencing his failures taking players that the rest of the league passed on. The reality is that both of those things are valid. One or the other of these things will apply to Little, but we don't know which one.

I hope it's yours, but it could be mine.

there is and has always been a difference in the work he does for first round picks and those after. every pick he's made in the first round aside from cam newton has been picks that other people have passed on. just because it's a pick that others have passed on doesn't mean that those passing on it made a correct one. this was the guy he was going to take in the first round and he was going to do it using the same level of homework he's used on all of the homeruns he's had in the first round. 

i'm not going to have the same level of confidence with the guys he drafts in 3rd and beyond than I do with guys he'd draft in the first. if a guy he legitimately wanted and did due diligence on for the first round slips to the second and he moves up to take him, as long as it's not mortgaging the future, i'm cool with it.

this isn't just some guy that no one wanted and hurney got an itch.

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

there is and has always been a difference in the work he does for first round picks and those after. every pick he's made in the first round aside from cam newton has been picks that other people have passed on. just because it's a pick that others have passed on doesn't mean that those passing on it made a correct one. this was the guy he was going to take in the first round and he was going to do it using the same level of homework he's used on all of the homeruns he's had in the first round. 

i'm not going to have the same level of confidence with the guys he drafts in 3rd and beyond than I do with guys he'd draft in the first. if a guy he legitimately wanted and did due diligence on for the first round slips to the second and he moves up to take him, as long as it's not mortgaging the future, i'm cool with it.

this isn't just some guy that no one wanted and hurney got an itch.

Hope you're right.

You might not be.

To be honest, I rewatched his tape vs Alabama and Mississippi state before the 2nd round and even though he's not a mauler, he held his own and pulled really well. He's a better prospect than McGary and in my opinion only 1 of 2 starting LT prospects, Dillard the other. Even though I did love Ford, he was strictly a LG or RT prospect.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hope you're right.

You might not be.

and again, based on the successes he's had with guys he vetted in the first round...signs are pointing towards me being right.

he's here. he's the new big ugly. you might as well jump on board and be glad that a guy who hits homeruns in the first round wanted to pick him in the first.  don't let your bias against hurney keep him from your sig.

Archived