• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3/4 v 4/3

ericr0319

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So it is easier to figure out and more predictable??? Gee maybe we shift things around to make sure our opponents can't do the same thing.

more to make sure you have the right guys. its how you move your pieces that matters. 

6 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Poe as NT, KK as end. Other end is more question mark. Maybe Cox Jr. 

I bet that Butler and Love are projected to be at the other end. Everyone who was a DE last year will be our OLBs which many times doesn't change that they will be rushing the QB on most downs or on the line playing run defense on obvious running downs.

2 minutes ago, ericr0319 said:

more to make sure you have the right guys. its how you move your pieces that matters. 

Right now we have Shaq who can play inside lb. KK and Butler as dt/de, Burns, Irvin and Addison who can okay DE and LB. Lots of moving pieces that can play multiple spots. Love and Poe as NT. 

26 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Maybe someone with a premium subscription to PFF can find the exact numbers, but it wouldn't shock me if we spent more time in Nickel defense last season than 4-3.

Having 4 defensive backs on the field versus 5 on the field has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are running 3 down linemen with 2 3 techniques and a Zero technique or 4 down linemen with a 1, 3 and 2 5 techniques. Absolutely nothing.

all that says is are you putting another DB in the game versus a linebacker. 

The other thing now is players that can play both, they are a Safety and an OLB or a Safety and a good Corner. Very versatile.

still has nothing to do with whether you have 3 or 4 down linemen and what technique you running.

what if you do a San Diego like last year were they had 7 DB in the game, some playing OLB and at the 3 technique?

whats that? Still a 3-4.

Just now, ericr0319 said:

The differences are really overblown.  You can use many of the same pieces in either scheme. KK can be a DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. Same with Butler or Love.  Poe will be the nose in either scheme. The biggest differences are at OLB which is why we brought in Burns and Irvin and likely will draft or bring in another OLB who can be a DE in a 4-3.  The issue is having DEs in a 4-3 who are athletic enough to play OLB and cover receivers in space if they are not designated to rush on that play in a 3-4. Guys like Poe and Irvin already have played in both schemes. 

Yeah we can talk over/under fronts, one gap versus 2 gap systems but honestly we ran more 3-4 last year especially when Rivera took over at the end. We shut Brees down at BOA using lots of 3 man rushing schemes in December. 

8 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

Yeah but we don't have any 5s except maybe KK and Love. Poe can play the 0 but who is his back up?

Who backs up KK and Love? Cominsky could be a late round 3-4 5 as depth maybe.

I agree. I think Butler would be Poe's reserve but I don't see Love as a five tech. I think we need one. That's where a guy like Dre'Mont Jones could come into play IMO.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree. I think Butler would be Poe's reserve but I don't see Love as a five tech. I think we need one. That's where a guy like Dre'Mont Jones could come into play IMO.

Love would likely be Poe's backup with Butler and KK playing ends, still agree that 3-4 end is a need going into day 2. Wouldn't be surprised if Panthers take one in the third. 

This is likely how we lineup in a 3-4 base

DE - Short

NT - Poe

DE - Love/Butler

OLB - Addison

ILB - Luke

ILB - Shaq

OLB - Irvin/Burns

In nickel which we will be in the majority of the time, the NT comes off the field and it basically turns into a 4-2-5 which is essentially the exact same thing as the 4-3 when we went to nickel.

Cox will be a backup DE. Butler will help out at NT. Haynes and Obada will be backup OLB. Norris, Carter and Smith are the backup ILB who probably only see the field on ST and in case of injury.

We definitely need another interior lineman who can play DE either in the draft or from whatever is left in FA. Possibly the Jones kid from Ohio State if he is there in the 3rd.

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

We have players - maybe not ideal ones - to spread along the DL.  What should be a real flag however is ILB.  Luke and Shaq . . . ok.  Then who?  Mayo is gone.  Jared Norris?

Jermaine Carter and Andre Smith. Two guys we drafted in 4th/5th last year.

Archived