• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I suspect the Panthers are desperately trying to trade up right now

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

I agree on the small school OL thing, and if Risner is there, I'd rather have him. He can play anywhere on the line.

I would have no problem with Risner if we go OL at #47. I just don't want Little amd I'll hope I'm wrong if we pick him. I'll REALLY hope I'm wrong if we trade up to draft him.

3 hours ago, ncsfinest21 said:

We have 3 picks in the 3rd. Give up one and maybe next years 2nd for a quality OT like cody ford and get a safety. I think we are good enough at CB with bradberry and jackson. May need depth there though.

3?

If I were the Panthers, I would declare Moton as the LT.  All of this indecision creates chaos.  I am tired of this "lets see who sticks" approach to OL. I am tired of RR explaining the concept of competition to us as if it was his original idea and they do not know what they have until one rises to the top. We get that--it is what you say when you have no friggin plan.  Evaluate talent and bring in people who can get the job done.  Williams was a day 3 pick,  our LG was undrafted from the PS, our LT was a street free agent because our $55m act of desperation got hurt--What is the plan? Cam is recovering from surgery for the second year in  a row and RR is practicing his draft day idioms?

You all laugh at what Atlanta did in the draft yesterday, but they now have an OL with 5 first rounders.  Ryan is not getting dirty.

GMs seem to be wising up to the value of draft picks based on the trades so far. Seems like teams are getting a lot less than what they have in the past, with a lot of 3rd and 4th rounders being dealt for big move ups in the first.  

Past the first 2 rounds, it's such a crapshoot in identifying who is going to succeed at the next level. You want to give yourself as many opportunities to find a gem. Plus veteran salaries for even borderline probowl level talent are skyrocketing while picks in the midrounds are close to/below veteran minimum. 

All this to say if we give up more than a 5th, I will be pissed regardless of the target, particularly given the way the draft has played out so far. 

And final point, can anyone think of a time Hurney traded up for a player and it really worked out? I feel like the outcomes span from colossal, set-your-franchise-back-years level mistake to a push at best. 

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The Carolina Panthers are likely trying like heck to trade up right now. If Burns was no longer on the board last night or if Hurney was able to trade back and acquire a few picks, I suspect Greg Little was a first round possibility. The fact that he is still available in round 2 and the Panthers desperately need a natural left tackle, well, it doesn't take much to realize that Hurney has likely been on the phone all day wheeling and dealing.

No they would’ve just taken Dillard if Burns was gone 

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Good to see you come around. Moton is the best LT we have and the best one we can get. Risner, Ford and probably Taylor could compete with Williams and make the other be LG.

The only laughing at Atlanta is that they used 14, 45 and 76 to get a G they could have had in the 20s (get another 3rd) and a T they likely could have gotten at 45 or using their 4th to move up. They could have had the same 2 and had two 3rds instead of those 2 and no 3rds. They also signed 2 FA guards who with the guarantees they own almost $23M over the next two years. Basically they drafted a starter and have paid the FA Gs as much as we paid Matt Kalil (helps put it into perspective in here). 

I never came around---again, I said they refuse to show any signs that Moton is the LT and if they thought he was going to be the LT of 2019, they should have started him there in 2018----that is still the case, which is why we are riding the fence on LT now--I don't think they know.  I explained that there is a difference between what we think and what they seem willing to do, based on the facts.  Standing behind that very simple concept. 

6 hours ago, luke262 said:

I'd have taken two solid linemen from this draft and wouldn't mind a trade up for a tackle, hopefully keep one of our thirds and grab a safety with that. Then whatever we have left grab the best defensive players available and maybe a late round rb. 

Likely going to be Jalin Moore. Will go ahead and throw that out there. 

I just gotta believe we only trade up for a s, they are flying off the board, hoping a low risk trade but there are only 4 s left worth a dam and one in my opinion is the perfect match with Reid, Adderly. At this point, trading up for a t is moot, could get one in the 3rd but same may be said for s. 

Grab the s in the second than load up the line in the 3rd 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Good to see you come around. Moton is the best LT we have and the best one we can get. Risner, Ford and probably Taylor could compete with Williams and make the other be LG.

The only laughing at Atlanta is that they used 14, 45 and 76 to get a G they could have had in the 20s (get another 3rd) and a T they likely could have gotten at 45 or using their 4th to move up. They could have had the same 2 and had two 3rds instead of those 2 and no 3rds. They also signed 2 FA guards who with the guarantees they own almost $23M over the next two years. Basically they drafted a starter and have paid the FA Gs as much as we paid Matt Kalil (helps put it into perspective in here). 

If they view him as the LT it sets up the draft to be a really good one.  We don’t have move up and get a really good player at 47.  And then get 3 more quality pieces before pick 116. 

Man I have my fingers crossed for H2.0 right now.  If we hit this draft we could be in a really good place moving forward. 

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Not many that could start day 1 at left tackle.

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Not many that could start day 1 at left tackle.

a day one starting left tackle isnt taken in day two

the league has spoken. the actuall scouts and GMs have spoken

a starting LT is taken in the first

Little isnt that good

Archived