• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns is way too small to be effectiveeeee.....!!!!!!!

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm a guy who worries about being told a player "doesn't respond to yelling".

After hearing that, I wouldn't have touched sweat with a ten-foot pole.

Agree 100% -  that dude is a walking red flag. 

4 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

Unless we go full time 3-4 which we are still I'll suited for he was a bad pick at 16.

He has zero technique. Von was still a technician in college.

I'm so depressed I'm sitting in grey sweat pants.imageproxy.php?img=&key=7e7e9fcd50b54ebe

From the clips I've seen, he's got plenty of technique.

Watched him using stop-and-go moves to make opposing blockers hesitate, varying his speed to lull them, and as much as a spin move might give me flashbacks at least he does it the right way.

2 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

There are lots of guys like that.

Same with any business. 

Some people respond to love, some to praise, some to yelling, some to reason.

That's all it means. The days of grabbing guys by the face mask and spitting in their face are gone.

A good coach inspires and teaches each player with an individual approach.

An adult who's being paid a million dollars to play professional football doesn't need to be coddled like a sensitive third grader.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm a guy who worries about being told a player "doesn't respond to yelling".

After hearing that, I wouldn't have touched sweat with a ten-foot pole.

Actually meant to bring that up. If it's true at all I'm totally with you. I hate assholes. I would hope he'd have grown out of his childish ways but if he hasn't I have no use for him either. Now let me go do a line with LT.

5 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

Stop and go? 

Look man that running around and dodging people is ok in College but not in the NFL. 

Especially against the run.

If I was an opposing OC I run over this guy for 6 yards a carry and we never get to pass rush. 

You can't run around a run block. The blocker will just squat on you and the back will cut off his ass. You have to fight across the face of a run blocker and this twig can't do it. I haven't seen one clip of him with a great jab step/punch and fighting across the face.

He's a liability. 

God I hope I'm wrong but I think he'll be worse than Jason Peter's and Everette Brown.

Wow bro. That only hurt a lot. Please don't do that again. It's just not comfortable.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

adult who's being paid a million dollars to play professional football doesn't need to be coddled like a sensitive third grader.

An adult shouldn't have to resort to yelling to get their point across. I don't care how much money you pay me or the role I'm asked to take on, I'm not going to resort to yelling and I'm not going to put up with it for long myself, culture be damned.

Brown was a mid 2nd round pick and a lot of people forget this.  It is pretty obvious that the Panthers are trying to get faster on defense to match up better against the Saints and Falcons and the Burns pick seems logical.  RR knows defense and the Panthers apparently really liked this kid.  

But is burns really reliable as an OLB as well? How's this 3-4 going to look?

SS                                                 FS

OLB                                 ILB                                      ILB                              OLB

CB                                 DE                                                   NT                                    DE                                 CB

What do you guys have?

5 minutes ago, Turnip said:

But is burns really reliable as an OLB as well? How's this 3-4 going to look?

SS                                                 FS

OLB                                 ILB                                      ILB                              OLB

CB                                 DE                                                   NT                                    DE                                 CB

What do you guys have?

Do what?

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

They are probably influenced by Mario Addison of all people. He came into the league UDFA even smaller than Burns but Burns has first round talent to go with it. Seems the team is keeping it somewhat tight on the 3-4/4-3 and I don't imagine we will convert to always using the 3-4. In terms of 4-3 alignments we used to move Hardy into the middle to bring in smaller but faster edge rushers and if it is a clear pass rushing down/distance it won't matter what his size is he'll be there to get around the edge quickly while KK has the middle being pressured.

(theoretically ofc)

Yep, you have good examples like Addison.  But Addison only gained about 10 lbs (he was listed around 250 at Troy and the official Panther's roster has him at 260 now).  And Addison is also two inches shorter than Burns, so he had less work to do to add to his center of mass/gravity than Burns will at 6-5.

Then you have  counter-examples of highly-rated "undersized" prospects like Vic Beasley and Takkarist McKinley for Atlanta who can't seem to get more than 5 or 6 sacks in a season (the exception being the 2016 season for Beasley when Atlanta used him as more of a tradition 3-4 OLB rusher and he got 15 sacks).

I mean, yeah, experimenting and hoping and praying is a rush and all, but I'd always prefer the player that actually FITS the role when he walks into the door over the "project", every damn time.  It'll be AWESOME if Burns puts on enough weight.  It'll be AWESOME if Burns doesn't lose any speed doing it.  It'll be AWESOME if Burns maintains his quick twitch at a bigger size.  A lot of "ifs" there... will they all come true?

47 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

Von was still a technician in college.

Von also has two inches less height at approximately the same weight, which places his center of mass/gravity lower in his body, which is valuable as a pass rusher, provides more power to pretty much every pass rush technique.  A higher center of mass/gravity allows the OL/OT to get the pass rusher off balance much easier.

Archived