• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns is way too small to be effectiveeeee.....!!!!!!!

Jeremy Igo

14 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Who is gonna play 3-4 DE in 3-4 sets, I wonder?  KK Short and Kyle Love, I guess?  Will Butler be used as a DE in a 3-4 or as a 0-tech?

I'm assuming, due to skill set and size, that Mario Addison, Bryan Cox, and Efe Obada won't be involved when using the 3-4?

Who will be the OLB in 3-4 sets opposite of Burns?  I'm assuming the answer to this question will be Marquis Haynes?  Bruce Irvin?

Lack of personnel or not knowing what they can do is why I'm worried that we'll only sprinkle in some 3-4 and Burns is situational and not a starter. First round picks should always be a starter.

3 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

I think a big difference is Von Miller played pretty close to his combine weight. Played his last season at A&M at 240. Burns was around 220. He put on nearly 30 pounds for the combine. 

Miller also demonstrated his fantastic strength on tape at A&M. He’s always played with it and it’s what sets up his speed and sets him apart. Guys like Mack and Miller transition from speed to power so well.

None of that means Burns won’t succeed. Just means he needs to play at 250. Not show up to test at 250. And he won’t only win with speed in the NFL. Ask Vic Beasley. 

He played 2018 at 235, gained 15 ilbs for the combine. Hired a nutritionist because of the weight knocks against him. 

9 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Player A

Run Defense - Natural strength allows him to set a firm edge and squeeze gaps. Doesn't consistently find the football and shed blocks to regularly finish. Effective slashing through gaps but lacks the lateral mobility to consistently work towards the sideline

Player B

Run Defense - Outstanding contain player and does well to maintain outside leverage and force runs back inside. Does well to set the edge and squeeze gaps. Highly effective at using his length to keep blockers away from his frame. Finds success slashing through gaps by getting skinny and dashing through.

Player C

Run Defense - Not an ideal candidate to regularly be tasked with setting the edge against offensive tackles and has noticeably better success vs tight ends. Eyes are often in the backfield, causing his pad level to rise and the lack of leverage is detrimental to his ability to maintain his fit. Has most of his success defending the run slashing gaps and filtering through contact. Offers outstanding range to close down distances and make plays outside the numbers. 

all three were in this draft, two taken before Burns. Take a guess which is which. 

I'll answer this for you. 

Player A is Gary

Player B is Burns

Player C is Allen

6 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

I'd say c is Burns A is Ferrell and B is Gary.

See above. 

But player A is Gary, player b is Burns and player C is Allen.

There is a reason that most had Burns top ten and Hurney didn't think he would make it to 16. He's got all the skill sets and traits you want in an OLB/DE. He also fits perfectly into what Carolina is looking to do. His two biggest weaknesses are mass (he has the frame to add weight and get to 255-260 in year two/year 3.) Speed to power conversion, which can be taught and added strength to his frame will also help. He is just now joining a NFL weight program and his nutritionist will help him on this as well.  

6 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

I am assuming only 5 techniques were in play. Because we drafted this guy as a 5 not a 7. Only 2 other 5s taken last night.

No we drafted him to be a pass rusher. He's going to play OLB and DE. Panthers announced him as a LB. Gary will also be playing LB for GB.

1 hour ago, Sub Zero said:

Burns is a jigsaw puzzle with elite athleticism and pass rush ability.. If you want to do a multiple front hybrid scheme defense.. (Which is what we are doing) He is the perfect piece to have..

I'm going to post this again and add the caveat..

If we want to do the things that Rivera has in mind for this defense.. You "need" a player like this.. You can't do a hybrid front scheme without a Hybrid front player.. That is what Burns is..

32 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Haha, no first rounder so u come in here talkin shet.  I liked the no call btw

What was I talking poo about? Lol. I didn’t knock him at all, except for maybe the weight, which it appears I may have even been off base about. 

25 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Burns played at 235 

Miller played at 240 at a&m

Only 5 pound difference 

Ahhhh. Must have been earlier years at 220. That’s still a bit light but if he can play around 250-260, he’ll be fine. 

8 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

He played 2018 at 235, gained 15 ilbs for the combine. Hired a nutritionist because of the weight knocks against him. 

Got it.

Mainly what I was getting at is, everyone wants to compare the young rusher to Von Miller. I realize he’s the standard at pass rusher and his athletics jump off the charts. In reality, they’re nothing alike body wise. A more appropriate comparison is Jevon Kearse, even though Burns is a bit lighter. 

2 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

What was I talking poo about? Lol. I didn’t knock him at all, except for maybe the weight, which it appears I may have even been off base about. 

Ahhhh. Must have been earlier years at 220. That’s still a bit light but if he can play around 250-260, he’ll be fine. 

Got it.

Mainly what I was getting at is, everyone wants to compare the young rusher to Von Miller. I realize he’s the standard at pass rusher and his athletics jump off the charts. In reality, they’re nothing alike body wise. A more appropriate comparison is Jevon Kearse, even though Burns is a bit lighter. 

Kearse was light as heck as a rookie. Think he weighed 235-240 as a rookie. 

1 minute ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

I think you guys put too much on NFL strength programs and his nutritionist. 

College strength programs are just as advanced and programs like FSU, Alabama and Clemson have nutritionists assigned to players. Hell we had guys assigned people back in the 80s.

That's why it's concerning to me when a guy comes in light. 

Jason Taylor is the only guy I can remember coming in light and staying light. But he was always considered an exception. 

Was just talking about Kearse, played as a rookie at 240ish. Also, Why does Burns specifically mention he hired a nutritionist to help him gain mass for the draft process? 

2 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

He weighed 262 at the combine. 

Yes he did, Titans made him loose a bunch of weight as a rookie because of his eating habits. Let me see if I can find the article. 

Found it. Here

The chiseled, 6'4" Kearse is still
listed at 265 pounds on the Titans' roster, but in recent weeks
he has dropped almost 20 pounds. Strength and rehabilitation
coach Steve Watterson, concerned that Kearse's eating habits
were no match calorically for the rigors of the NFL, has started
him on a daily regimen centered not in the weight room but in
the dining room of Kearse's suburban Nashville town house. 

Just now, carpanfan96 said:

Yes he did, Titans made him loose a bunch of weight as a rookie because of his eating habits. Let me see if I can find the article. 

Oh no, I’m not doubting you. I was yooounnng when Kearse came into the league lol. I was just saying at the combine, he was a bit heavier, but body and athletic wise I think he’s a much better comparison for Burns than Miller. 

Archived