• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Carolina Panthers select Brian Burns - Defensive End - FSU

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

He's got an elite, I mean absolutely elite skill set as a 3-4 OLB. He's not Brown 2.0, he's got speed, bend, first step quickness, moves. He'll be absolutely a terror in what Rivera has planned for the defense. 

A+ pick imo. 

I swear to budda if ppl can't understand that comparing a 6'5 elite athlete who produce in college.. To a 6'0 one year wonder is completely stupid.. damm!!

24 minutes ago, tgrfan01 said:

aint going to win many games with cam on his back

ever hear of Matt Paradis, and a returning Daryl Williams?? 4/5 line is completely set for next season and we have solid depth for LG. We are desperate for EDGE Burns is gonna be a stud, he’s special.

4 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

The fact we took him over Burns surely means the 3-4 talk is serious, right? I can’t imagine we took him as a 4-3 rusher with Sweat sitting there. If we are indeed going 3-4 then this makes more sense, no?

exactly.

Fans are evaluating these prospects under the same criteria as previous years but I think we are really going to be running a lot more 3-4 then people think.

Even if it wasn't for the heart condition I could see them liking Burns more than Sweat as a OLB.

High ceiling player at a high value position, I can't complain.

35 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The Carolina Panthers have selected Brian Burns, defensive end from Florida state with the 16th pick in the 2019 NFL draft.

Strengths
  • Basketball athlete with silky hips and sudden feet
  • Upfield burst forces tackles out of pass slides and into gallops and sprints
  • Alters rush speeds with sudden bursts around or inside the pass set
  • Long third step propels him to clearance at the top of the arc
  • Tremendous lower-body flexion for 45-degree edge bend
  • Ability and quickness to shadow scramblers once he finds the pocket
  • Hits well-timed jump-cut counters back inside
  • Capable, smooth spin moves in either direction
  • Quick lateral slides help find the B-gap
  • Arm-over or upper-body turn to quickly bypass edge blocks
  • Fluidity to potentially drop and cover
  • Good speed to pursue as tackler
Weaknesses
  • Thin frame with spindly limbs
  • Frame might not be able to handle enough weight
  • Lacks functional play strength
  • Lacks necessary dog for consistent combat at point of attack
  • Gives away his position when setting edge
  • Allows length to go to waste, catching too many blocks with shoulders
  • Sticks to blocks once he loses his frame
  • Struggles to play through redirect blocks on inside moves
  • Will have issues converting speed to power at top of the rush
  • Needs more strength and force as hand fighter

And with all those weaknesses, this was the choice?

we aren’t playing basketball or soccer.  Those LTs in the NFL will eat this guy alive 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it. We did a TON of work on this guy. Before all this OL talk late, it almost looked too obvious that Burns was THE guy we were targeting. We did our due diligence and we got our guy.

Hurney is money in the first

IMG_20190313_175515.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

I swear to budda if ppl can't understand that comparing a 6'5 elite athlete who produce in college.. To a 6'0 one year wonder is completely stupid.. damm!!

I wasn't comparing them, he's nothing like Brown coming out. Skill set is completely different imo. 

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ed Oliver was considered the potential #1 overall pick for much of the season and he went #9, so might wanna pause on the gloating for the moment.

Nah, fug that. Ppl in here were talking down to folks okay with picking #16 like they never finished the 3rd grade. There was a bunch of belly aching over Pro Bowlers in the top 10 and every prospect we want being picked by the time it got to #16. No edge rushers apparently, yet the only one taken between 9th and 16th was Rashan Gary who a lot of folks were straight on.

They can eat all of the crow and wash it down with my nuts.

Does everyone forget that he has already put on 20 pounds since December? He ran at the combine at almost 250. He destroyed the combine. He has the speed, bend, and length that is rare for a pass rusher. You almost HAVE to take a guy like this because of what he could become.

Archived