• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Carolina Panthers select Brian Burns - Defensive End - FSU

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

I still have bad feelings about this pick.

I literally almost hit my head on this beam at this girl's house when Atlanta didn't take Sweat from jumping up and down.

I just have a feeling Sweat is going to be the better player. I think he has the potential to be a 16 to 18 sack guy in his best years.

I think Burns is maybe only a 12 to 14 sack guy in his best years.

We need our two outside guys to combine for 31 sacks a year to be truly dominant.  Anyone remember how dominant our pass rush was in 96? That's what we need. 

In 96 i was twelve years old so that's kind of foggy lol, I do remember having johnson and hardy in their primes on the ends which was pretty good.

We definitely don't have that kind of tandem now, both of those guys could get after the passer and stop the run, but hardy went nuts and johnson got old.

1 hour ago, The4ManRush said:

He can easily add muscle to that frame and increase his play strength. What I like about him is he knows the areas where he wants to improve. He admitted that all of his moves were based off speed and quickness and to take that next step, he needs to add a power rush to his game. 

Lower body work tops the list for him quads, calf's. He seems to have broad shoulders and looks to have good upper body strength already.

The more I do my research the more I like the player. His instincts are unteachable. He finishes with flair not necessarily malice but he's such a fun althlete to watch. Swagger.

The NFL will definitely ask more of him but that "it" is definitely there and he's a guy you need to play day one.

6 hours ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

I still have bad feelings about this pick.

I literally almost hit my head on this beam at this girl's house when Atlanta didn't take Sweat from jumping up and down.

I just have a feeling Sweat is going to be the better player. I think he has the potential to be a 16 to 18 sack guy in his best years.

I think Burns is maybe only a 12 to 14 sack guy in his best years.

We need our two outside guys to combine for 31 sacks a year to be truly dominant.  Anyone remember how dominant our pass rush was in 96? That's what we need. 

You are living in fantasy land if you are unhappy with 12-14 sacks a year. You would be unhappy with Von Miller.  

I remember 96. Our OLB didnt meet your demands in that year. 

If Burns averages 13 sacks a year he's likely a HOF player. 

19 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

We got 31 from our two outside guys even tho it seems pff took two sacks away.

I'm not living in fantasy. Reggie had multiple 18 sack seasons.

Bruce Smith averaged .72 sacks per game for career regular season. 

Reggie averaged .85 sacks per game

Kevin Greene averaged .70

But those include the ends of their careers on the decline.

If you compare every DE to Reggie White you will always be disappointed. That's like comparing every playwright to Shakespeare. 

Watching our defense over the last couple of years was frustrating.  Our secondary is average at best and you would just sit there and watch the qb’s go through 15 progressions then torch us.  With not only having these new pieces but also scheming a little more in a 3-4 should help us put more pressure on Qb’s.  

I am really excited to see what Burns and Miller can add to the enjoyment of watching a stout Panthers D on Sunday’s.  

Not sure if this is posted already.  It’s from an article on best values of the draft. 

San Francisco 49ers defensive end Joey Bosa is the best outside pass-rusher in this class.

The real debate about pass-rushers started after him. Clelin Ferrell, Josh Allen and Rashan Gary were the next three to come off the board, but it was not until 16th overall that the actual second-best pass-rusher was selected: Brian Burns.

He holds one of the best profiles in the class at his position. Per Football Outsiders' SackSEER formula, which accounts for athleticism, production and projected draft slot, Burns was the best pass-rusher in the class, even ahead of Bosa. 

Additionally, Bleacher Report's Justis Mosqueda identified Burns as one of only four Force Players in this class. This designation is an athleticism filter that strongly correlates to higher average production and rate at which a team retains that player after their first contract. Montez Sweat was the only other first-rounder to pass the filter.

The film only strengthens the case for Burns. Just 20 during the 2018 season, he regularly showed off a wide array of pass-rushing moves and approaches that only Bosa could rival. Burns' technique, versatility and ability to finish plays is phenomenal for a player his age.

That the Carolina Panthers could get someone with his polish and athletic potential in the middle of the first round is a miracle, considering how desperately they needed a defensive end. Bruce Irvin and Mario Addison were not going to cut it.

41 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Not sure if this is posted already.  It’s from an article on best values of the draft. 

San Francisco 49ers defensive end Joey Bosa is the best outside pass-rusher in this class.

The real debate about pass-rushers started after him. Clelin Ferrell, Josh Allen and Rashan Gary were the next three to come off the board, but it was not until 16th overall that the actual second-best pass-rusher was selected: Brian Burns.

He holds one of the best profiles in the class at his position. Per Football Outsiders' SackSEER formula, which accounts for athleticism, production and projected draft slot, Burns was the best pass-rusher in the class, even ahead of Bosa. 

Additionally, Bleacher Report's Justis Mosqueda identified Burns as one of only four Force Players in this class. This designation is an athleticism filter that strongly correlates to higher average production and rate at which a team retains that player after their first contract. Montez Sweat was the only other first-rounder to pass the filter.

The film only strengthens the case for Burns. Just 20 during the 2018 season, he regularly showed off a wide array of pass-rushing moves and approaches that only Bosa could rival. Burns' technique, versatility and ability to finish plays is phenomenal for a player his age.

That the Carolina Panthers could get someone with his polish and athletic potential in the middle of the first round is a miracle, considering how desperately they needed a defensive end. Bruce Irvin and Mario Addison were not going to cut it.

Wow, liking the sound of this. Definitely sounds like, at minimum, we got top 10 value at 16. 

36 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

Wow, liking the sound of this. Definitely sounds like, at minimum, we got top 10 value at 16. 

I have no doubt about it, some places had him rated the same as Bosa but Burns athleticism and profile makes him a good bet to be the most dominant pass rusher from this draft. 

Tbh when I see his tape and combine i dont realy see why the complaints about him being undersized were an issue. He's lean but has great build, not to big up top and not too small down low(no pun intended). He seems like perfect type of athlete you would want at that position.

Archived