• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Carolina Panthers select Brian Burns - Defensive End - FSU

Jeremy Igo

The ''too small'' talk needs to stop, the man is 20, he will add weight over time. With consideration to his rookie year we're looking at high DPR (designated pass rusher) usage early and often, and should prove adequate vs the run as he develops. 

This was an excellent pick as the ''primary'' skill set that we needed is pass rushing ability, he has that and has the potential / athleticism to be much more than what he is already. 

• Von Miller - 6'3 / 250
  • Brian Burns - 6'5 / 250
  • Mario Addison - 6'3 / 260
  • TJ Watt - 6'4 / 252
  • Bruce Irvin - 6'3 / 250

You look at what Von Miller does in the pass / run game, you can't help but be excited as Burns is bigger than Miller, if you like TJ Watt's game in Pittsburgh and saw his effectiveness versus us think of that when you're trying to question his size. 

If you look at Bruce Irvin who we just added and his career as a EDGE defender / pass rusher and what he has done over his career, you have to like what Burns can be with these high end of guys of similar to equal stature. 

The NFL is changing and people need to let go of the late 90's and early 2000's stereo-types on ''what the proto-type is'' teams play Nickel defense 60(+)% of the time, all this 43, and 34 talk is great for those base looks, but more often than not we're looking at smaller personnel packages. Defending the run is still a must, but generating pressure, and sacks is an absolute must with the passing era that we are in. 

Guys need to be able to get there, quickly, and with the infusion of quarterback mobility you need pass rushers who can also close that gap on the quarterback as well. He will gain weight, and get stronger, playing 250-255 ish seems very reasonable as eventually he'll assume Addison's role who also started in the 250's but put on weight over his time here, for those that don't remember Addison was DPR for us for a while behind (Hardy / Johnson) and also was lighter than the 260 playing weight he carries now.  

We needed a pass rusher, we got him.

More than that he seems like a legitimately good dude, and will be a very nice addition to our locker room.

Also the fact that he is Stanley McClover's brother and has direct ties to the team already will be a big boost for him in adjusting to the NFL quicker.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If we can get an LT now I will be happy.

41 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

The ''too small'' talk needs to stop, the man is 20, he will add weight over time. With consideration to his rookie year we're looking at high DPR (designated pass rusher) usage early and often, and should prove adequate vs the run as he develops. 

This was an excellent pick as the ''primary'' skill set that we needed is pass rushing ability, he has that and has the potential / athleticism to be much more than what he is already. 

• Von Miller - 6'3 / 250
  • Brian Burns - 6'5 / 250
  • Mario Addison - 6'3 / 260
  • TJ Watt - 6'4 / 252
  • Bruce Irvin - 6'3 / 250

You look at what Von Miller does in the pass / run game, you can't help but be excited as Burns is bigger than Miller, if you like TJ Watt's game in Pittsburgh and saw his effectiveness versus us think of that when you're trying to question his size. 

If you look at Bruce Irvin who we just added and his career as a EDGE defender / pass rusher and what he has done over his career, you have to like what Burns can be with these high end of guys of similar to equal stature. 

The NFL is changing and people need to let go of the late 90's and early 2000's stereo-types on ''what the proto-type is'' teams play Nickel defense 60(+)% of the time, all this 43, and 34 talk is great for those base looks, but more often than not we're looking at smaller personnel packages. Defending the run is still a must, but generating pressure, and sacks is an absolute must with the passing era that we are in. 

Guys need to be able to get there, quickly, and with the infusion of quarterback mobility you need pass rushers who can also close that gap on the quarterback as well. He will gain weight, and get stronger, playing 250-255 ish seems very reasonable as eventually he'll assume Addison's role who also started in the 250's but put on weight over his time here, for those that don't remember Addison was DPR for us for a while behind (Hardy / Johnson) and also was lighter than the 260 playing weight he carries now.  

Exactly... all the panthers have to do is watch the super bowl tape vs Denver and watch how they used ware and Von and mimic that. You’re not asking this dude to set the edge vs a tackle all game. Dwight freeney and Mathis were both smaller guys and they had one job to get the damn QB and get behind the line and be disruptive. Let’s not assume they’re going to ask this kid to be a Bruce Smith, Reggie white style 43 def end. They’ve been saying all offseason were using more 34 elements now...this is just confirming that. High time they mix some poo up on this defense instead of rolling guys out the same way every week

As long as he can prevent Brees and Ryan from sitting in the pocket for 4-5 seconds to calmly scan through progressions, I wouldn't care if he was 200 pounds. I don't even really care if he can set the edge. Take the hit there and force them to do something they don't want to do - like run on 3rd and 4. I'll take my chances on our overall run defense making a play rather than the pass defense getting exposed for big chunks due to a lack of pressure on the QB. 

I just really thought Montez would have been the guy since he was available. Has anyone come out and honestly said why he dropped so far?

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

As long as he can prevent Brees and Ryan from sitting in the pocket for 4-5 seconds to calmly scan through progressions, I wouldn't care if he was 200 pounds. I don't even really care if he can set the edge. Take the hit there and force them to do something they don't want to do - like run on 3rd and 4. I'll take my chances on our overall run defense making a play rather than the pass defense getting exposed for big chunks due to a lack of pressure on the QB. 

I just really thought Montez would have been the guy since he was available. Has anyone come out and honestly said why he dropped so far?

1. his health scare, 

2. his red flags from earlier in his career.

3. Serious rumblings on his coachability and taking criticism from coaches. 

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

1. his health scare, 

2. his red flags from earlier in his career.

3. Serious rumblings on his coachability and taking criticism from coaches. 

The health scare was debunked before the draft started. Everyone stated that concerns were inflated and not as serious as first estimated. 

He has been a top of the first round projection ever since the combine. They knew about his early mistakes then, but it didn't seem to matter. 

I would have to assume that issues with coaching were made from within the Miss State staff that were spread around during the visits and interview process.  

SJZfZqvR_bigger.jpgEverette BrownVerified account @EveretteBrown
FollowFollow @EveretteBrown
More

In 2009 I was drafted as the 1st pick for @panthers and 10 years later @Fire_Burns99 is drafted as Carolina’s 1st pick in the 2019 draft. I’m happy to say that #99 will be coaching #99! Talk about full circle! God is so good! #keeppounding #noleblooded #faith #panthers #noles

D5FcFVJX4AAKqqL.jpg
7:12 AM - 26 Apr 2019

18 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

The health scare was debunked before the draft started. Everyone stated that concerns were inflated and not as serious as first estimated. 

He has been a top of the first round projection ever since the combine. They knew about his early mistakes then, but it didn't seem to matter. 

I would have to assume that issues with coaching were made from within the Miss State staff that were spread around during the visits and interview process.  

Weed issues  as well

The Draft Network 5 best picks:

PICK NO 16: BRIAN BURNS, EDGE, FLORIDA STATE - CAROLINA PANTHERS

Mario Addison has averaged nearly double-digit sacks across the last three seasons, but he will be 32 at the start of the season and his contract expires after 2019. Bruce Irvin was a good veteran addition this offseason, but he’s far from a long-term answer. Edge rusher was a critical need for Carolina both now and in the future and Burns was a tremendous selection to bolster Carolina’s pass rushing arsenal.

For a defense that is looking to be more multiple with its fronts, Burns is a player that helps with that transition. A dynamic edge rusher, Burns’ athletic profile reveals a very capable defender in space. But make no mistake about it, Burns’ bread and butter in the NFL will be his ability to attack quarterbacks and his skill set is tremendous. Blending burst, length, rush variety, bend and vision, Burns is the total package.

48 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Brian Baker, the guy who talked about his coachability used to coach for the Panthers and has a rep for being a stand-up dude.

4 hours ago, ncfan said:

Oh damn why did you bring up the fact that Eric Washington is doing what for the team now? I guess it depends on who actually is the DC lol...ffs we're supposed to be happy this weekend not be reminded of our poo stain DC ;\

Archived