• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Carolina Panthers select Brian Burns - Defensive End - FSU

Jeremy Igo

Compare effort between Burns and Sweat. Burns goes hard every down; Sweat takes plays (games?) off. That and the heart issue made it an easy choice IMO. Maybe Sweat turns out to be a good player, but I don't blame the Panthers for not taking a gamble on him. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Compare effort between Burns and Sweat. Burns goes hard every down; Sweat takes plays (games?) off. That and the heart issue made it an easy choice IMO. Maybe Sweat turns out to be a good player, but I don't blame the Panthers for not taking a gamble on him. 

Burns is more of a gamble. Hes a situational guy. He wont be flying by a Duke or Wake Forest guy. He will be getting pounded into the dirt on running plays. 

Let's be real...

Everette Brown was drafted purely on his junior year. His freshman and sophomore seasons were mediocre at best. Burns has had two great seasons at FSU and one decent one.

In fact, Burns had more sacks his freshman year than Brown had in his freshman and sophomore year combined.

Sure there are some similarities such as athleticism but as far as production, Burns puts Brown to shame.

1 minute ago, bobcat91 said:

Burns is more of a gamble. Hes a situational guy. He wont be flying by a Duke or Wake Forest guy. He will be getting pounded into the dirt on running plays. 

Kinda like he did against Jawaan Taylor flying around them? Okay

34 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Yes he was last year and he did this year.. Facts..lol .."Everyone" was blowing smoke up your ass..

Reality check everybody that mattered knew this kid is for real..

You can have the last word.. History is on my side. Keep wasting money on magazines you don't understand... peace.giphy.gif.0fe474462097c627fc3721043ff87f2b.gif

just for example look at how walter rated the pick...

• image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/raidersb_logo.gif

raidersb_logo.gif Oakland Raiders: Clelin Ferrell, DE/OLB, Clemson FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY, SASHI SUFFERIN SUCCOTASH Grade 
    Oh no. OHHH NOOOOO. Mike Mayock, what are you doing? 

This is insane. I joked that Clelin Ferrell could go this high in my live draft blog, but I was only kidding. I speculated this because Ed Oliver and Josh Allen are both clients of Joel Segal, who represents Khalil Mack. It would've been very difficult for Oakland to select one of them. Thus, the Raiders should've either traded up for Quinnen Williams or moved down. The Raiders could've slid down 10 spots and still obtained Ferrell, so the value with this pick is absolutely terrible. He fills a need, but wow, this is bad. 

• image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/Bucsb_logo.gif

Bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Devin White, LB, LSU B+ Grade 
    We return to sanity, which is nice. The Buccaneers had their choosing of Devin White, Ed Oliver or Josh Allen, and they couldn't have gone wrong with either of the three. Bruce Arians said he wanted a "once in a generation-type player," and White could be a perennial Pro Bowler for the next decade. White fills a huge need in the middle of Tampa's poor defense, and he could finally bring some credibility and leadership to the stop unit. This is the right pick, though it's one of three "right picks" Tampa could have made. 

5 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

My concern is when NO and Atlanta go road grader mode and either run his ass over or he doesnt see the field. His speed is worthless at that point. Mr 16 watching from the sidelines 

At OLB in a 3-4 it isn't 

Your lined up much wider and standup rusher.

Its apples and oranges comparing to a 4-3 DE.

I expect to see much more 3-4 this year.

36 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Yes he was last year and he did this year.. Facts..lol .."Everyone" was blowing smoke up your ass..

Reality check everybody that mattered knew this kid is for real..

You can have the last word.. History is on my side. Keep wasting money on magazines you don't understand... peace.giphy.gif.0fe474462097c627fc3721043ff87f2b.gif

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26545631/2019-nfl-draft-pros-cons-every-first-round-pick here is espn...

4. Oakland Raiders

Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson | Highlights

Why they picked him: The Raiders, who had a league-low 13 sacks last season, need a pass-rushing defensive end in the worst way. Introducing the reigning Ted Hendricks Award winner from the national champions. Ferrell goes a tad higher than expected, but he does address a need with 27 career sacks, 11.5 last season.

Biggest question: Surely Ferrell could have been taken later, so why didn't the Raiders trade down and gather some more picks? At 6-foot-5, 260 pounds with 4.8 speed in the 40, Ferrell is a specimen. But is he a Khalil Mack-type edge rusher? That's what the Raiders are still missing. -- Paul Gutierrez

•  

1 minute ago, bobcat91 said:

I agree with you alot, but not here. You dont use a top 16 pick on a situational guy. And Taylor just slid out of the 1st round

Not really situational 

Is Von Miller situational?

Kid is a glue fit in a 3-4 much like the Millers.   I expect we see much more of that and this kid is going to be far from situational.  

Kid is better dropping in coverage than pretty much all of the LBs in this class as well.  Kid is going to be a 3 down weapon 

16 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

My concern is when NO and Atlanta go road grader mode and either run his ass over or he doesnt see the field. His speed is worthless at that point. Mr 16 watching from the sidelines 

He'll see the field, he isn't that small. Plus he has his brother helping him, coaching staff and other players. This is ridiculous. 

22 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Not really situational 

Is Von Miller situational?

Kid is a glue fit in a 3-4 much like the Millers.   I expect we see much more of that and this kid is going to be far from situational.  

Kid is better dropping in coverage than pretty much all of the LBs in this class as well.  Kid is going to be a 3 down weapon 

Hes not Von Miller. Hes a gimmick that we wasted a pick on in the first round. We have the same needs going into tomorrow that we do today. That's bad drafting

23 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Sure there are some similarities such as athleticism 

I don't even know if I would go that far.  I feel like people are just making the automatic comparison because they hear the word "undersized", but they weren't even undersized the same.  Brown was 6'1 263lbs.  Burns is 6'5 249lbs.  Burns is faster.  Burns has FAR more length (which was the biggest problem with Brown).  Burns frame could be a problem, but its a problem that is far easier to overcome than Brown's lack of length.

Two completely different players.  Burns is far more like Leonard Floyd and Aldon Smith as prospects.  Aldon is who I liken him to the most.  Not saying he'll be as good as peak Aldon, but both were very, very similar coming out of school.  Smith had a bit more power to him (but many felt he still needed to add weight), but Burns is faster.  One thing people underestimated with Aldon was how much his length helped him against OTs.  Burns might be on the lighter side, but he's got great length.  He's going to be a great presence on the edge for us.

Archived