• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the minimum number of starters the Panthers need from this draft?

Jeremy Igo

So to answer the OP ... We have Ron Rivera as a coach... we will get 0 starters from this draft... He doesnt start rookies(unless theres a injury).

CMC waited a year

DJ waited 8 games.. 

If we draft DE  (irving and Addison will be our starters)

If we draft OT (Moton and Williams will be our starters)

If we draft S in 2nd (Reid and Gaulden/Searcy will be starters)

None as immediate starters given none at DE or LT beyond what is likely the top 10 picks are plug and play. Now if we go safety/corner or a guy like White falls unexpectedly then we might have an immediate starter in the first.  I would hope we get at least 2 starters eventually from this group. But honestly starting rookies is a crap shoot and you have to suffer with mistakes until things slow down which is often year 2.

2 hours ago, TalonNC said:

So to answer the OP ... We have Ron Rivera as a coach... we will get 0 starters from this draft... He doesnt start rookies(unless theres a injury).

CMC waited a year

DJ waited 8 games.. 

If we draft DE  (irving and Addison will be our starters)

If we draft OT (Moton and Williams will be our starters)

If we draft S in 2nd (Reid and Gaulden/Searcy will be starters)

I agree with this but I think the seat of Ron Rivera's underwear is starting to heated up. Especially when David Tepper enters the room. 

36 minutes ago, Boundary Guru said:

Expect 3 would be thrilled with 4. Needed for this season, 2-3. Long term, 3-4.

^ This.   I would like all day 1 & day 2 picks to start or at least factor heavily in a rotation.  If the first three picks are (in no particular order) OT, DE, FS, I would expect them to compete for starting jobs. If the fourth one is a LG prospect, CB or 3-4 OLB, I could envision that person seeing the filed a lot even if they don't start and hopefully be ready by the beginning of 2020.

Minimum I'd say 1 and that would be a free safety. I don't think we have a legit starter there. It'd be great to upgrade left guard but we could feasibly roll with either Van Roten or Larsen if necessary. Addison and Irvin are likely entrenched as starters on the edge this year although we obviously should get a rookie who will get plenty of reps in anticipation for becoming the starter in 2020.

The expectation is two immediate contributors if you have the normal allotment of picks. 3-4 eventual contributors at regular positions and maybe ST contributions from later picks in a normal draft. Reality is on average a normal draft is usually 1-2 players who contribute significantly and a couple of spot players/backups and some st help. 

Archived