• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the minimum number of starters the Panthers need from this draft?

Jeremy Igo

Bruh, if Marty can't upgrade at:

1. Edge/pass rusher

2. FS

3. OL or Nickel

then he has no plan and went in with his pants down. Three of those four HAVE to be improved via the draft! We have 2 - third round picks, so should be able to get back into the late second or early third round for another starter. 

Three starters but 5 major contributors. If we draft well we could plug in DE, LG and FS. A second DE and OT who play at times this year are what I hope for as well because we are still razor thin at those positions. I also hope we find a backup to CMC in the 5th or 6th, because Payne is serviceable at best. It's a deep draft and one that can start giving us quality depth.

7 minutes ago, t96 said:

A healthy Cam alone would = playoffs. Add 3 quality starters too and we’re talking SB

I disagree, the defense lost some key veterans and a TON of leadership this offseason. They need starters at DE, S, and LB to make up for the void left by Julius Peppers, Thomas Davis, and Mike Adams. Especially if they are transitioning to a 3-4, DE/LB is a big need. The defense as it stands right now might not even be a top 20 defense. A healthy Cam Newton would be in a shootout in every game and I guarantee that'd lead to an 8-8 season at best unless the defense gets some starters in this draft.

20 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I disagree, the defense lost some key veterans and a TON of leadership this offseason. They need starters at DE, S, and LB to make up for the void left by Julius Peppers, Thomas Davis, and Mike Adams. Especially if they are transitioning to a 3-4, DE/LB is a big need. The defense as it stands right now might not even be a top 20 defense. A healthy Cam Newton would be in a shootout in every game and I guarantee that'd lead to an 8-8 season at best unless the defense gets some starters in this draft.

Leadership is overrated. We still have leaders. Anything lost in leadership is more than made up with youth and speed. We were on pace for 12-4 last year with a fully healthy Cam, and lost essentially no effective starters while already gaining Williams, Irvin, Hogan, Paradis. With Ron running the D and some fresh mixed 3-4 looks and a healthy Cam I think we’re atleast 10-6 and in the playoffs. Add in a great draft and we should be right back in the mix.

3 or bust. Safety because Jones/Gaulden. Edge/DE. I have no idea what scheme we will actually run so I dont know who. OL. William's, Moton, Paradis and Turner are starters but Lason is a backup and shouldn't be starting baring injury. Add in the fact that there are concerns about Williams and Paradis, we need another starter quality OL so if the worst case Larsen gets to fill in.

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

Leadership is overrated. We still have leaders. Anything lost in leadership is more than made up with youth and speed. We were on pace for 12-4 last year with a fully healthy Cam, and lost essentially no effective starters while already gaining Williams, Irvin, Hogan, Paradis. With Ron running the D and some fresh mixed 3-4 looks and a healthy Cam I think we’re atleast 10-6 and in the playoffs. Add in a great draft and we should be right back in the mix.

I just can't agree with any of that concerning the defense. The defense as it stands got worse and won't improve just because Ron decided to move some people around

Archived