• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sweat could drop out of the first round

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, ncfan said:

1. His heart issue was known

2. It wasnt bad enough to flag him and send him hime and Not let him workout

3. We still met with him at the combine after this came up.  Going over schemes etc etc 

Does his heart condition worsen if he puts on weight, which arguably, he does.  Just a thought,

34 minutes ago, h0llywood said:

He's played 26 games the past 2 seasons and passed every medical exam. 

Hopefully teams do panic and let him drop. Would be a great transition from Peppers to Sweat should he materialize.

To be fair, a college game is not anywhere near as stressful or draining as a pro game.

Fist off a defib is not some high tech thing to have on hand. Almost all places have them, stores, restaurants  etc. It’s as common as a first aid kit.

At first I didn’t think he’d fall to 16 but see it as more likely now. It’s hard to know if it’ll be an issue or not seeing as no one really has information...at this point have to just trust it won’t be a problem if he’s the pick.

6 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If we did pass on him at 16, does he make it past Gettleman at 17? I doubt it. 

Hmm Gettleman the GM for the Panthers when we needed a DT and the best DT in the draft had this heart issue. Then a high potential DE with an amazing workout at a Giants pick of need suddenly are "off some draft boards". 

If the Giants get Sweat at 17 I am totally believing this conspiracy theory. 

When I watched his games, you could tell that Mississippi State was managing his snap counts. I thought it was because of his conditioning, but now I know why. I think the advantage of the Panthers is that we rotate our defensive ends so he won't have to play a ton of snaps. He'd be in a rotation with Mario, Irvin, Cox, Obada and Haynes if all of those guys make the roster. 

So he's still a great pickup to me. He adds a lot of value to that rotation. 

19 hours ago, yasuhara2241 said:

Hmm Gettleman the GM for the Panthers when we needed a DT and the best DT in the draft had this heart issue. Then a high potential DE with an amazing workout at a Giants pick of need suddenly are "off some draft boards". 

If the Giants get Sweat at 17 I am totally believing this conspiracy theory. 

Dave Gettlemen is the man because he can manufacture heart problems in Star players at will,... 

would start to actually look that way if it happens this time with Sweat.

then again, Dave might take him with his 1st pick so,.. we will see.

2 hours ago, The4ManRush said:

When I watched his games, you could tell that Mississippi State was managing his snap counts. I thought it was because of his conditioning, but now I know why. I think the advantage of the Panthers is that we rotate our defensive ends so he won't have to play a ton of snaps. He'd be in a rotation with Mario, Irvin, Cox, Obada and Haynes if all of those guys make the roster. 

So he's still a great pickup to me. He adds a lot of value to that rotation. 

To be fair, Mississippi State rotated all their D Line including Jeffrey Simmons to keep them fresh. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027742/article/2019-nfl-draft-believable-things-amid-so-much-misinformation

6) Montez Sweat may drop, but he won't plummet: Teams seem to vacillate on whether or not the Mississippi State edge rusher, long projected to be a top-10 pick, will fall in the draft. There may be teams who have him off their board due to concerns about his heart conditionthat came to light at the NFL Scouting Combine, which brings to mind the situation that unfolded with former Michigan DT Maurice Hurst last year. A heart condition diagnosed at the 2018 combine helped push Hurst into the fifth round before the Raiders picked him, but I don't expect anywhere near that kind of fall for Sweat. While Hurst was not cleared to work out at the combine, Sweat was and crushed it. He could drop out of the top 10, but it's highly unlikely he falls deep into the second half of Round 1.

Archived