• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Love signed to one year deal.

Jeremy Igo

Just now, USC/panthers_11 said:

But we can't get out of the either contract until after 2019, so as I've told you before picking DT early in this year's draft would be horrible. We need DE and OL much worse. Now picking DT early in the 2020 draft would be the right play. You need your 1st round pick to contribute early. Not sure how that would be possible with Poe, Short, Love and Butler on the roster.

And what if we do part ways with one or both after this season? You want to try to completely rebuild the DL in one off-season? 

I guarantee that a 1st round DT would play more snaps than a 1st round OT would barring injury factors. OTs don't rotate. Except for injury, a 1st round OT might not see a meaningful snap this season. DL rotate a LOT. Far more than any other position group. 

Did you see our DL play last season? Seems like there should be ample opportunity for a talented rookie to break into our DT rotation.

7 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:

I would assume he and Poe would rotate out

Everyone keeps saying this, but from what I remember from watching some snaps from the end of last year, they lined him up at DE and had Butler backup Poe when we went to 3-4 looks.

Hell, at this point, if it weren't for the Dunce Cap presence of Ron Rivera as head coach going into the season, Hurn Dog might have had a possibility of winning GM of the Year for the 2019-20 season.

(Of course, there is the draft and a couple of the "projects" drafted last year doesn't encourage for this year.)

Unfortunately, Mr. Tepper totally approves of the "classy" mediocrity brought to his squad by Coach Rivera, so Hurn Dog is likely SOL.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And what if we do part ways with one or both after this season? You want to try to completely rebuild the DL in one off-season? 

I guarantee that a 1st round DT would play more snaps than a 1st round OT would barring injury factors. OTs don't rotate. Except for injury, a 1st round OT might not see a meaningful snap this season. DL rotate a LOT. Far more than any other position group. 

Did you see our DL play last season? Seems like there should be ample opportunity for a talented rookie to break into our DT rotation.

First off, I don't think we would part ways with BOTH after this season. It is a fact, however, we already have 4 DTs on the roster this season - starters who are both high paid around or over 10 mil, our 1st round pick from 3 years ago and Love, who has been a solid contributor over the last few years. Teams usually don't rotate more than 4 DTs when you have a 53 man roster.

We only have 2 competent OTs on the roster and don't know if either will be able to be an effective LT and Williams coming off a knee injury. I'm not sure how the hell you think a 1st round DT would play more or someone how be a smarter pick than OT (it's not because you're wrong). We obviously also are in dire need of DEs and it wouldn't hurt to draft someone who could play OT or maybe LG, or both. 

Again, a 1st DT would be a garbage pick. DE, OT, versatile OL who can play guard or tackle, and safety are bigger needs. 

IF we do more than transition to a hybrid and skew to more 3-4 it would not be smart to draft DT high. Part of the reasoning was that 3-4 DL are easier to find as well as the OLb than finding top 4-3 defensive lineman. So put that in to practice early and get some later round big 3-4 NT or DE and invest in the OL earlier.

16 minutes ago, USC/panthers_11 said:

First off, I don't think we would part ways with BOTH after this season. It is a fact, however, we already have 4 DTs on the roster this season - starters who are both high paid around or over 10 mil, our 1st round pick from 3 years ago and Love, who has been a solid contributor over the last few years. Teams usually don't rotate more than 4 DTs when you have a 53 man roster.

We only have 2 competent OTs on the roster and don't know if either will be able to be an effective LT and Williams coming off a knee injury. I'm not sure how the hell you think a 1st round DT would play more or someone how be a smarter pick than OT (it's not because you're wrong). We obviously also are in dire need of DEs and it wouldn't hurt to draft someone who could play OT or maybe LG, or both. 

Again, a 1st DT would be a garbage pick. DE, OT, versatile OL who can play guard or tackle, and safety are bigger needs. 

Having two massively overpaid DTs who we can part ways with next year IMO os a huge reason to absolutely consider taking a DT high. It's definitely not a reason to pass on one.

Archived