• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Love signed to one year deal.

Jeremy Igo

46 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol. Let’s not make it look like Hurney is perfect now.

Hurney has been very solid this offseason, but he had:

1 - A bad FA period last year. We will be spending as much money on Torrey Smith, Poe and Searcy in two years as we did on Kalil. I’m still hopeful we get $7m of that back but as of now it’s unfortunately true.

2 - Gaulden and Haynes (still hopeful with 3-4) were bad picks. We could have had a real S and a T that we needed.

3 - Funny you mention depth at WR and OL when Hurney subtracted from the WRs in season in 2017 so we didn’t have a single healthy worthwhile receiver in a 1 score playoff loss at NO. One of our crap WRs dropped an easy TD that cost us the game. We also ignored a great interior OL draft last year and we let Norwell go and we added 0 OL in FA so after Williams went down we were screwed and had a hole at tackle and guard (Van Roten wasn’t good). OL really hurt us last year and it shouldn’t have taken our QBs getting beaten up to decide to do something this year. Just like WR in 2017, we let people go and didn’t refill until after we realized we screwed it up. Knowing we were losing Norwell and Ryan and very possibly Williams (could still lose him after 2018), we shouldn’t have waited until the 2019 draft to address OL. We lost a whole season in part due to that.

I’m glad he’s learning and I’m happy with his FA this year but let’s not act like he hasn’t made a mistake in 2.0 version. Heck, it’s almost like our OL wasn’t poo last year outside of Moton and we weren’t 7-9.

he drafted well last year, and you cant call poe a bad signing.  the whole defense was bad last year and it had a lot to do with coaching.  7-9 was all on cams shoulder, which hurney could do nothing about.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Behind who?

The people who want to lean on Short's Pro Bowl appearance to defend his play weren't paying attention. The guy routinely got handled by single blockers in pass rushing situations and washed out of the play in running situations. We took a $17M cap hit last year for Short to play like a complete JAG. I sure hope we get more out of this year's $17M. If we don't, we better be Short-less by this time next year.

11 minutes ago, JARROD said:

I wish everyone would relax on the whole 3-4 or 4-3 thing. You get the best players you can, draft the best players you can and make adjustments to the scheme based on those players.

the winning teams do it that way. The inconsistent losing teams pick a scheme and then try to make players fit— people are people— you can’t always have the perfect fit at every position for your scheme— in a salary cap world that’s impossible—

so get smarter,.. put the players in positions to succeed by their strengths.

in short— the fronts are adjustable.

I hope all this 3-4 talk is predicated on what we could do personnel wise this offseason. If we draft a guy like Burns, then yeah, more 3-4 concepts would be a good idea. But what if we draft a guy like Ferrell? Probably not. A guy like Sweat who can fit well into either scheme is probably the dream pick. 

Our front seven needs a serious infusion of young talent and it would likely be wise to keep our schematic plans fluid to keep as many names on our draft board as possible. I don't think we're in a position to limit ourselves by committing fully to one or the other at this point.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I can’t? Star left for $1m more per year or $4m less than Poe + Smith. Buffalo’s run D got better. Poe sucked last year, there’s no excuse. We let Norwell and Star go for $23m a year and signed Poe, Searcy, Smith and Cockrell for $20.5m a year.

People point to Matt Kalil’s contract and I agree, it aucked, but those same people ignore that we easily could have resigned our guys for the money we got a bad Poe for, oh and those 17 receptions.

Oh, let’s point out one more thing. The Poe and other signings cost us a comp 3rd or 4th for Star and a 6th for Dickson and we gave a comp 4thto Atlanta for Poe.

Hurney had a bad FA in 2017 in almost every way. The guys we let go, the guys we signed and the comp picks we gave up and gave to Atlanta.

It's impossible to compare Short's and Poe's contract without mentioning the fact that Star's contract contains double the guaranteed money. We can save $10M cutting Poe after this season. 

If Short was THAT reliant on Star for his production, then we paid the wrong DT.

Honestly, I don't think anyone right now would decline the option to take Star and his contract vs. Short and his. I certainly wish we had re-signed Star, but like the Turner/Norwell situation everyone pretty much knew that when Turner signed his deal that meant we were letting Norwell walk. Same with Short/Star. At the time, I agreed with both decisions. In hindsight, I think we whiffed on both.

Did not read the entire thread and until  we see the D in action,  we will not fully understand personnel needs.  However, we need NTs either way.  I was thinking we would draft a NT early it was such a concern, and few are available  in this draft who can play right away.

Marty has done an excellent job of putting us in a position where there are no real MUSTS--NT was one before Love signed.

DE?  Addison and Irvin are still decent threats, and Obada and Cox are developing.  Haynes will be better in this situation.  We need a player, but not unless he is elite.  Even if he is, do not expect a ton this season.

FS?  Well, this is our biggest hole right now--Gaulden is probably going to nickel, not FS.  Searcy is a liability, a fringe starter.  We need a fast, smart, hitter.  I swear, I think  we are going to get Rapp in round 2 if he is still there.

LG:  Van Rotten was below average last year--needed more consistency.  He hustled every play, but lacked the talent some plays, the experience others. He  will be better, but we won't if he plays LG.  Look for a LG in round 2 or 3.

WR:  We have ballers and play makers, but do we have personnel for all occasions?  The recent addition was a plus, but we need 5 who can get open and catch it.  Moore, Samuel, Wright, Smith and Hogan.  If we cut Smith, we could  add a WR in the draft late.

CB:  I am not sure this is as big a need as what others think.  If Gaulden goes to Nickel and  we get a healthy Cockrell back, Elder, Doss, and Seymour could be enough.  Bradberry and Jackson are not leaving the field often.

QB:  Kyle Allen's draft busting heroics last year were encouraging, but  we really know nothing more than he looked solid in what was nothing more than a preseason game.  I am not confident Heinicke can handle the grind physically.

OT: This is a bigger need than most seem to think.  I am not assuming they think Moton can play LT as some Huddlers here are ready to bestow upon him the Jonathan Ogden award, but I know Moton can play RT and our RT is coming off surgery and is on a one-year contract.  We need a LT now.  No more  street free agents.  No more sliding over a TE and fullback to help block.  Who do I like?  I would take Ford in the first round if a DE/Edge is not there.  He can play LG for a season and then take the LT position when Moton goes back to the right side--or he can start now and Williams becomes depth.  Williams was not that good, folks, or he would have been given a better deal than he got here.

NEEDS from MHS perspective:

1. DE

2. OT

3. FS

4. OG

5. QB

6.  CB

FUN FACT:  Who is the all-time leader in Panther history in blocking long snaps during FGs and / or extra points?

A: Amini Silatolu 

You are welcome.

When it comes to LG, I hope we plan on allowing Larsen to compete at that spot. I think we were hesitant to do that last year due to Kalil's injury prone nature, but I honestly think that it's pretty dumb to approach building a depth chart with the idea of keeping one of your five best OL out of the starting lineup because you're hedging your bets in case of an injury that may or may not happen. Play your five best OL and if injuries happen, you just have to adapt on the fly but the hesitancy to adapt on the fly during the season shouldn't get in the way of playing your five best OL from the get go.

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope all this 3-4 talk is predicated on what we could do personnel wise this offseason. If we draft a guy like Burns, then yeah, more 3-4 concepts would be a good idea. But what if we draft a guy like Ferrell? Probably not. A guy like Sweat who can fit well into either scheme is probably the dream pick. 

Our front seven needs a serious infusion of young talent and it would likely be wise to keep our schematic plans fluid to keep as many names on our draft board as possible. I don't think we're in a position to limit ourselves by committing fully to one or the other at this point.

Good analysis--let's say we have Ferrell on the board at 16.  Are you suggesting that we draft him and run more 4-3, or  if we draft him it is because we are going to run more 4-3?  Interesting, because you are right--DL needs some work and it must come on day 1 and maybe day 2.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Good analysis--let's say we have Ferrell on the board at 16.  Are you suggesting that we draft him and run more 4-3, or  if we draft him it is because we are going to run more 4-3?  Interesting, because you are right--DL needs some work and it must come on day 1 and maybe day 2.

I think you draft him and we run more 4-3. I think right now we should be open to doing either or when it comes to 4-3/3-4.

I certainly don't want to see us making schematic decisions in April due to guys like Haynes, Obada, Cox, etc. Those aren't guys you build a defense around. Meanwhile, Addison is going into the final season of his contract, Irvin and Love are only on one year deals, and both Short and Poe are 30 years old and may not be worth their hefty cap figures so it's very possible that one or even both might be entering their final seasons in a Panthers jersey. I didn't mention Butler for a reason. I've already given up on the guy. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

This time next year, we could be looking at a VERY different DL.

Archived