• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why I like the Hogan Signing

Steves89

Samuel and Wright are slot WRs.  DJ and Smith were the only outside WRs.  Smith could not get separation last year but is amazing coach for the youngsters.  We needed another starter on opposite side of DJ.  So Hogan and DJ are starters with Samuel and Wright rotating on 3 WR sets.  Smith will remain on the rooster unless some late round rookie comes in and does amazing.

1 hour ago, ARSEN said:

Samuel and Wright are slot WRs.  DJ and Smith were the only outside WRs.  Smith could not get separation last year but is amazing coach for the youngsters.  We needed another starter on opposite side of DJ.  So Hogan and DJ are starters with Samuel and Wright rotating on 3 WR sets.  Smith will remain on the rooster unless some late round rookie comes in and does amazing.

Here u go imminent rogaine!

As a Patriots fan, I must say I find the enthusiasm for signing Chris Hogan entertaining.  I’m a bit surprised that the Patriots didn’t resign him, but only because they are so thin at the position and Hogan at least knew the playbook.  The thing I always find interesting about free-agency is that it’s the one time we get to see what Belichick really thinks about players.  

Hogan was not even targeted in the Super Bowl.  North Carolina has a great lacrosse tradition so there’s that of course.  I hope he flourishes on the Panthers.  Just understand that we discussing a receiver who wasn’t resigned by a team that only has two veteran receivers on its roster.

13 minutes ago, Thomas144 said:

As a Patriots fan, I must say I find the enthusiasm for signing Chris Hogan entertaining.  I’m a bit surprised that the Patriots didn’t resign him, but only because they are so thin at the position and Hogan at least knew the playbook.  The thing I always find interesting about free-agency is that it’s the one time we get to see what Belichick really thinks about players.  

Hogan was not even targeted in the Super Bowl.  North Carolina has a great lacrosse tradition so there’s that of course.  I hope he flourishes on the Panthers.  Just understand that we discussing a receiver who wasn’t resigned by a team that only has two veteran receivers on its roster

Don't be a Debbie Downer. If we want to believe we just signed the next Jerry Rice at a million a year then you have no right to shiit all over our dreams. Now pizz off and go win some more Superbowls! Jk.

Hogan was a product of the NE and Brady system. You guys. Come on man. He is solid but he is not a game changer, game breaker or will dictate coverages. You guys be killing me with these all pro expectations. talking about "weapons" lol he is a tool. Not a weapon. 

12 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

Hogan was a product of the NE and Brady system. You guys. Come on man. He is solid but he is not a game changer, game breaker or will dictate coverages. You guys be killing me with these all pro expectations. talking about "weapons" lol he is a tool. Not a weapon. 

ruthless 

24 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

Kinda, thigh no be said he was a game changer. What he does well, is take advantage of those holes created by the first three options. Those guys are very valuable, especially if Moore and Samuel take a big jump.

5 hours ago, KaseKlosed said:

i don't see much of anyone saying anything about him being all pro or anything. he's been mentioned more as a probable replacement for torrey smith (if we move on from him) than anything. at best he's going to be a 2nd option. most likely, though, he's going to be anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th option on passing downs and I think that's going to the reality most people are dealing with. what is exciting, though, is we're getting better from the bottom up. what makes it even better is that we didn't see this one coming. 

but seriously, no one is really thinking that this guy will be a perennial pro-bowler. it's a pleasant surprise and his signing makes our receiving corps better. 

I never saw anyone state he's be a probowler.  Or anywhere close.  Come on man.

What he does is give us depth in a WR group that we haven't had before.  For too long our WR group, top to bottom, has been a joke.  

Our WR1from 2017 has been cut twice.  Once by the Buffalo Bills powerhouse.  He is not currently on a team.

Our WR2 that replaced our WR1 was rated at a 1 year contract after we moved on from him.

Our WR depth has been filled with players that couldn't make other teams, considering not even our former WR1 can.  

Right now, we are getting solid WR3, WR4s, etc.  That IS a game changer.  We don't need every drive production from these guys.  We don't need 700 yard seasons from those guys.

We need guys that are "solid" that we can count on in depth positions.  Guys that can't be easily ignored with everyone's attention only on Moore or CMC.  I can't think of a time where I felt we had that.  

23 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i don't see much of anyone saying anything about him being all pro or anything. he's been mentioned more as a probable replacement for torrey smith (if we move on from him) than anything. at best he's going to be a 2nd option. most likely, though, he's going to be anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th option on passing downs and I think that's going to the reality most people are dealing with. what is exciting, though, is we're getting better from the bottom up. what makes it even better is that we didn't see this one coming. 

but seriously, no one is really thinking that this guy will be a perennial pro-bowler. it's a pleasant surprise and his signing makes our receiving corps better. 

If Hogan is your 2nd options your WR core is in trouble.  Nothing about hogan is outstanding. NE WR room is already thin and now they let Hogan walk without resiging him is a big flag.  Hogan did literally nothing in other systems. Dude wasn't even in the superbowl game plan. Lol However he is going to be an upgrade over Torrey Smith's speed? Which teams have a plan for or is he going to catch jump balls over teams DBs? What weapon does he bring to the table besides being a system WR??? You guys must see something I don't 

2 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

If Hogan is your 2nd options your WR core is in trouble.  Nothing about hogan is outstanding. NE WR room is already thin and now they let Hogan walk without resiging him is a big flag.  Hogan did literally nothing in other systems. Dude wasn't even in the superbowl game plan. Lol However he is going to be an upgrade over Torrey Smith's speed? Which teams have a plan for or is he going to catch jump balls over teams DBs? What weapon does he bring to the table besides being a system WR??? You guys must see something I don't 

The person you quoted didn't say Hogan would be the 2nd option.  He said at best he'd be 2nd, most likely 3rd to 5th.  

At best just means "absolute best case scenario where he starts balling out better than expected"

I think about everyone expects Moore, Samuel, CMC, Olsen to all have more receiving targets/receptions.

Nearly everyone sees him as a system WR that will add solid depth to our roster.  I absolutely love having someone like Hogan in our 3rd to 5th area.

Archived