• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why I like the Hogan Signing

Steves89

The separation issue--who are the Pats WRs?   I am  willing to bet that Samuel and Moore draw the  most  attention and this guy will  find the  the open areas.  Hogan is not a top WR---he is what he is.  Solid hands, chain mover. 

Last year I saw struggles with separation and I also saw him displaying serious issues with adjusting to passes in the air. These both surprised me because I had the impression that he was good at blowing by people and catching deep balls. So basically, no, he isn’t good at catching the tough balls.

Glad we got him cheap. Glad he can add vet presence. Good thing is that we won’t need him to be a top receiving option.  He is going to be 6th or 7th in targets. 

Edit: thinking about seperation, it is probably a little harder to separate in the   1.5 seconds before Brady gets rid of the ball. We know that Cam, despite recent emphasis on getting the ball out quickly, tends to hold on to the ball too long. Maybe Hogan will look a little better with a that extra time to run.

7 hours ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Honestly, I'm not expecting much. 

Pats fans say he's a good 3/4 option in a passing attack but struggled mightily when asked to be their #2. 

I really don't foresee him getting a ton of looks his way this year. Players in line to see more targets than him are CMC, Greg, Moore, Samuel, and Wright. In my mind, he's 6th in line to see a target. 1 or 2 a game. Hopefully it was a relatively cheap deal and we can save some money by moving on from Smith.

We'll see. 

Depends on Cam to be honest. 

1 hour ago, imminent rogaine said:

Last year I saw struggles with separation and I also saw him displaying serious issues with adjusting to passes in the air. These both surprised me because I had the impression that he was good at blowing by people and catching deep balls. So basically, no, he isn’t good at catching the tough balls.

Glad we got him cheap. Glad he can add vet presence. Good thing is that we won’t need him to be a top receiving option.  He is going to be 6th or 7th in targets. 

Edit: thinking about seperation, it is probably a little harder to separate in the   1.5 seconds before Brady gets rid of the ball. We know that Cam, despite recent emphasis on getting the ball out quickly, tends to hold on to the ball too long. Maybe Hogan will look a little better with a that extra time to run.

I really don't think u watched anything because all I seen the dude do was make tough catches and at the times u needed them most. There always has to be that one person that can't never be happy, this is u sir!

10 hours ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Honestly, I'm not expecting much. 

Pats fans say he's a good 3/4 option in a passing attack but struggled mightily when asked to be their #2. 

I really don't foresee him getting a ton of looks his way this year. Players in line to see more targets than him are CMC, Greg, Moore, Samuel, and Wright. In my mind, he's 6th in line to see a target. 1 or 2 a game. Hopefully it was a relatively cheap deal and we can save some money by moving on from Smith.

We'll see. 

Your looking at it too statistically. He gives us another player with a skill set. Norv with options is a very good,thing for us and not for other defenses. 

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The separation issue--who are the Pats WRs?   I am  willing to bet that Samuel and Moore draw the  most  attention and this guy will  find the  the open areas.  Hogan is not a top WR---he is what he is.  Solid hands, chain mover. 

Teams won't have the ability to,dedicate their shut down CB to one guy. We have multiple "guys" and areas will open up.

7 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Anybody know if Hogan has any kick/punt return experience? 

That would add even more weight to this signing. 

I still dont think this changes our draft plan though. 

He said in an interview that he has special teams experience. He didn't say what or how much.

8 hours ago, steven8989 said:

I really don't think u watched anything because all I seen the dude do was make tough catches and at the times u needed them most. There always has to be that one person that can't never be happy, this is u sir!

Lol he had 2 receptions a game but somehow he was just nabbing nearly impossible, super difficult, clutch passes left and right.

He had 35 catches on a team where the #1 wr was suspended and their stud TE was out. Those 35 put him neck and neck with the Ravens 4th string rb and also their rookie TE that was in a 4-man time-share. 

Archived