• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What grade would you give Marty Hurney for March?

Jeremy Igo

I'd give him an A-.

Torrey Smith's contract takes up $5 Mil of our cap space, but it may pay off. He definitely fulfills the "veteran leadership" need.

However, I would've given him an A+ if we resigned Thomas Davis to a 1-year contract & released Torrey. It doesn't make sense to release a vet leader who's willing to play for peanuts than keep a vet who's injury prone, hits you with a $5 Mil expense & drops balls easily. 

13 hours ago, panthers55 said:

...only 50 percent done in free agency...

I agree with most of your post except that I'd point out that Hurney didn't exactly say that 50 percent thing about free agency. He said it in regards to free agency, the draft, and seeing how the depth that we have at different positions (most of whom you mentioned) ultimately work out. I think that he used something like "50 percent of the process," which may include free agency, but not solely reliant upon it. Though some might think that it's splitting hairs, I think that it could be a fairly big distinction. 

13 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

That a big assumption. The coaching staff certainly expects more out of Smith, and the rest of huddle. 

Yep, people keep assuming this (and it could ultimately play out that way if we do acquire some one else during the entire process of the offseason), but I suspect that Smith will be more integrated into the regular flow of the game than people think. Even last season---the way that Smith was used, particularly right before he was hurt---suggests that people assuming he'll be a bench warmer may be off base.

As for Hurney in March, I give him an A for getting Paradis at a relative bargain, and retaining Williams on prove-it deal (also a bargain), while also freeing up cap space by jettisoning Kalil. Any other smart free agent pickup this offseason, especially pre-draft, would just solidify and justify an A grade for the whole of free agency.

He gets a short term A.  In other words, stopgaps with limited funding were great,  but you build consistency through the draft.  He had a good draft last year, but that Gaulden pick is starting to look infected. We still do not know if there is a LT on the roster, and that is inexcusable.  (Still mad that we did not play Moton there last season). 

We still need a LG.  He  must  be planning on a rookie there,  or  hoping to (as we  have in the past) to have a 6-man  competition  and hope some  cream  rises  from the toilet  bowl. 

Look for a S, OLB/DE,  OG,  and QB in the first 2 days of  the  draft.  

If Hurney can resist reaching for  some  pulling guard from Dixie College  Tech ,  we  should be  OK.

1 hour ago, MountaineerChemist10 said:

However, I would've given him an A+ if we resigned Thomas Davis to a 1-year contract & released Torrey. It doesn't make sense to release a vet leader who's willing to play for peanuts than keep a vet who's injury prone, hits you with a $5 Mil expense & drops balls easily. 

While I am not defending the Smith signing, its an apples and oranges comparison.

Thomas Davis can't extend his vet leadership to the WR group, where we need it..as we are relying on two very young WRs.  The LB group has leadership in Kuechly. 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

He gets a short term A.  In other words, stopgaps with limited funding were great,  but you build consistency through the draft.  He had a good draft last year, but that Gaulden pick is starting to look infected. We still do not know if there is a LT on the roster, and that is inexcusable.  (Still mad that we did not play Moton there last season). 

We still need a LG.  He  must  be planning on a rookie there,  or  hoping to (as we  have in the past) to have a 6-man  competition  and hope some  cream  rises  from the toilet  bowl. 

Look for a S, OLB/DE,  OG,  and QB in the first 2 days of  the  draft.  

If Hurney can resist reaching for  some  pulling guard from Dixie College  Tech ,  we  should be  OK.

What happened to the old rule that you can't evaluate draft picks for at least 3 years. Frankly I am glad when rookies don't start and play extensively as rookies.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I agree with most of your post except that I'd point out that Hurney didn't exactly say that 50 percent thing about free agency. He said it in regards to free agency, the draft, and seeing how the depth that we have at different positions (most of whom you mentioned) ultimately work out. I think that he used something like "50 percent of the process," which may include free agency, but not solely reliant upon it. Though some might think that it's splitting hairs, I think that it could be a fairly big distinction. 

Given that we will sign a number of UDFAs after the draft and keep making additions cutting folks and signing other team's cuts right up until the first regular game, I think that 50% of free agency still being left is about right.

I give him a B.

Not a fan of not keeping TD for peanuts. He said he wanted to finish out his career and was willing to take close to vet min to do it. 

William's and Paradis are good grades moves on the surface but investing heavily with what cap we had in 2 guys coming off injury makes me nervous. 

Irvin looks good depending on what Ron does with the defense scheme. 

Reid, I thought we overpaid. I know some guys got ridiculous contracts but we could have gotten an as good safety or Reid for less after the initial rush. I dont think as many teams would have been willing to take on the potential distraction and his play didn't look like anything more than average.

Smith for 5m. My biggest problem here is we have all seen Ron play Smith when he's 5th or 6th WR at best and our best players are on the bench. I think as GM you have to consider that. The deal looks ok, but with Ron's love of playing vets, especially poo WR, I have a feeling this could really hurt the development of our WR core. Also have to wonder if RR will keep Smith over a young WR with more talent because he's a  vet.

The deals look good, the prices have been good for the most part. It just feels like we've taken a couple of gambles on that O-line that are boom/bust and could get Cam or QB2 crushed if they go wrong.

Just for March, its easily an A. He needs to finish off strong and plug the remaining holes in the draft and FA. As for TD, it was time for him to go. We have to get faster on defense and that is part of it. I am not a fan of keeping Smith at that price, but that is not finalized yet. 

13 hours ago, The Huddler said:

@pantherclaw

the fug are you pooing my post for? 

Well, you're knocking Hurney for Smith, in a thread about this past March. 

Smith has been on the roster since last year, and he had 2 years left of that contract. 

Common sense said to anyone that can read it/hear it, that Smith was still going to be a Panther this season. And not just a bench warmer either. 

On 3/31/2019 at 10:35 AM, BrianS said:

Anyone still dinging Hurney over keeping Torrey Smith is clearly not paying attention.

1.  The Carolina Panthers spend less money at the WR position than practically any other team in the league.  In fact, only four teams spend less than we do.  As a position group, we're extremely prudent.

2.  What FA's were as good or better and available for less money?  Who could he have signed?  I can't think of a single one.

3.  Smith is *still* on a one year deal.  He can *still* be cut at any point we find someone better for less, or a rookie / PS player steps up and takes that position.

Keeping Torrey at this point is *clearly* the right move.

Hurney this offseason:  A.

As you said, "at this point".

But If I were Torrey, I wouldn't spend any of that cash yet.

A. He did the best with what he had to work with. Only questionable signing was re-signing Daryl Williams with his injury history and lack of a starting role for him. Is he moving to LG or LT? Is Moton moving? Not sure where he fits. Either way he's solid depth, but kind of a steep price for a guy that might not even start.

Archived