• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What grade would you give Marty Hurney for March?

Jeremy Igo

I'm not big on grades (especially at this time of year) but I have thoughts.

Agreed with the decision to let Thomas Davis go. I know a lot of people didn't.

Agreed with dumping of Matt Kalil and Captain Munnerlyn. Doubt anybody disagreed on those.

Like the signing of Matt Paradis and the re-signing of Darryl Williams. 

Concerns?

I do worry a little that we seem to have a lot of important people who are either older or recently injured. Those are the kinds of things that can come back to bite you in the latter half of the season.

The cap, obviously. Whatever "the plan" is, for the love of all that's holy, please don't start restructuring and kicking the can down the road again.

On that topic, I know a lot of people still want to defend the Torrey Smith decision, but five million for a guy who is your 6th or 7th receiving option is just dumb.

Still concerned about three crucial backups, quarterback and runningback being the obvious ones. The other I haven't seen talked about much. I'm desperately hoping for somebody to tell me that we're not going into next season without "insurance" for Graham Gano again. 

Two of those three spots are needs because our leadership did something stupid in the past. They have a penchant for that, which also makes me cringe.

Bottom Line: I've said it before. We really really need to nail this draft.

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Anyone still dinging Hurney over keeping Torrey Smith is clearly not paying attention.

1.  The Carolina Panthers spend less money at the WR position than practically any other team in the league.  In fact, only four teams spend less than we do.  As a position group, we're extremely prudent.

2.  What FA's were as good or better and available for less money?  Who could he have signed?  I can't think of a single one.

3.  Smith is *still* on a one year deal.  He can *still* be cut at any point we find someone better for less, or a rookie / PS player steps up and takes that position.

Keeping Torrey at this point is *clearly* the right move.

Hurney this offseason:  A.

Well said 

Just like most pundits graded him he gets an A.  Keeping Torrey was smart given he has no guaranteed money and is really here to provide stability and leadership. Sure he didn't have a good last year but there is a reason we changed wide receiver coaches. Coupled with a lack of deep ball, what do you expect. Sure I want to sign Love but folks haven't exactly been banging down his door. Seems we will wait until after the draft and then perhaps make a move. Hurney is showing the patience folks criticized him for not exercising in the past. Honestly he did better than I expected and did a great job with little money. Anyone downgrading him is still a long term Hurney critic who is only begrudgingly giving him credit now. 

3 hours ago, mc52beast said:

What grade do you give him if Williams and Paradise don’t come back from their injuries.

Actually still give him good grades since he covered himself. Williams only counts 6 million against the cap and is on a prove it deal. If he plays at all it will have been worth the risk. Paradis is on a 3 year deal but his cap this year is only 3 million. So again if he doesn't play we aren't out much and if he does he is a real bargain. Not only did Hurney sign potentially great players but mitigated their effect if it takes longer to recover than expected.

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

Anyone still dinging Hurney over keeping Torrey Smith is clearly not paying attention.

1.  The Carolina Panthers spend less money at the WR position than practically any other team in the league.  In fact, only four teams spend less than we do.  As a position group, we're extremely prudent.

2.  What FA's were as good or better and available for less money?  Who could he have signed?  I can't think of a single one.

3.  Smith is *still* on a one year deal.  He can *still* be cut at any point we find someone better for less, or a rookie / PS player steps up and takes that position.

Keeping Torrey at this point is *clearly* the right move.

Hurney this offseason:  A.

Numbers 2 and 3 are good points.  We can cut Smith at regain cap space if required.  

Number one is irrelevant.  We spend less because Wright was cheap and Samuels and DJ are on their rookie contracts.  Its not a plan on our part, just the way it worked out.  The question is not how much we spend on WR's but (if we do end up keeping Smith), was Smith a wise expenditure.  Or would we have been better off spending the money elsewhere?  We won't know for certain until the end of the season, but it just seems that 5 million a year is to much to pay for a guy who is probably going to be our fourth receiver.  

I also worry that he will take snaps from some of the younger guys.  

Archived