• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What grade would you give Marty Hurney for March?

Jeremy Igo

Yes, we all know we won't know until the season. But put on your prognostication pants.

In March, Marty Hurney...

- Shored up the tackle position

- Signed a stud center to replace Kalil

- Signed a vet edge rusher 

- Let Matt Kalil walk

Am I missing anything of importance? 

How would you grade it?

Personally, I give is an A. He has set himself up nicely for the draft and not having to reach for anyone which he will do anyways in round 3.

B+

and thats all you can do. however the moves play out is besides the point IMO. considering our current situation he made moves that look to improve the team. nonone has a magic ball. he was smart with money, and made moves with as good of an educated guess as one could have to make the team better

only think knocking down from an A is 5m to torrey smith, but if he contributes and helps give guidance to a young WR room then so be it. plus its my understanding we could cut his ass and lose nothing and get that 5m back. might as well at least have him around for training camp and give the vet presence and then cut his ass. like a place holder so to speak. theres 5m that can be easily accessed

4 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

B+

and thats all you can do. however the moves play out is besides the point IMO. considering our current situation he made moves that look to improve the team. nonone has a magic ball. he was smart with money, and made moves with as good of an educated guess as one could have to make the team better

only think knocking down from an A is 5m to torrey smith, but if he contributes and helps give guidance to a young WR room then so be it. plus its my understanding we could cut his ass and lose nothing and get that 5m back. might as well at least have him around for training camp and give the vet presence and then cut his ass. like a place holder so to speak. theres 5m that can be easily accessed

This.

Also it's tough to judge a month alone especially because the draft and the second free agency period has yet to happen. But given our monetary position and him making the right decision on Kalil he gets a B+ so far. Hurney 2.0 is on the right track thus far. We'll see what April has in store!

Anyone still dinging Hurney over keeping Torrey Smith is clearly not paying attention.

1.  The Carolina Panthers spend less money at the WR position than practically any other team in the league.  In fact, only four teams spend less than we do.  As a position group, we're extremely prudent.

2.  What FA's were as good or better and available for less money?  Who could he have signed?  I can't think of a single one.

3.  Smith is *still* on a one year deal.  He can *still* be cut at any point we find someone better for less, or a rookie / PS player steps up and takes that position.

Keeping Torrey at this point is *clearly* the right move.

Hurney this offseason:  A.

16 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Anyone still dinging Hurney over keeping Torrey Smith is clearly not paying attention.

1.  The Carolina Panthers spend less money at the WR position than practically any other team in the league.  In fact, only four teams spend less than we do.  As a position group, we're extremely prudent.

2.  What FA's were as good or better and available for less money?  Who could he have signed?  I can't think of a single one.

3.  Smith is *still* on a one year deal.  He can *still* be cut at any point we find someone better for less, or a rookie / PS player steps up and takes that position.

Keeping Torrey at this point is *clearly* the right move.

Hurney this offseason:  A.

This

Our Huddle GMs don't know poo. 

Archived