• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gaulden to Nickel? Rivera says yeah maybe.

Jeremy Igo

41 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

That was hands down the worst pick, both when it was made and now revisiting it almost a year removed.  I expect Gaulden will wash out pretty quickly.

He wasn't athletic enough to play corner, so they talked about moving him to safety.  Yet, he lacks the instincts, range, and physicality to play safety.  So, he has no position...  the talk of playing him at nickel is even more confounding to me bc even at nickel, you dont have to be blazing fast with top end speed, but you have to be quick, explosive, agile, and preferably strong...  none of which describe Gaulden.

The pick was so dumb especially when Ronnie Harrison was there

4 hours ago, frash.exe said:

bc clutching on to these “investments” like they’re rosary beads in the hopes that they will develop slowly into quality starters somewhere is one of the core causes of the mismanagement of personnel by rivera and especially hurney over the years

they did it with otah, jeff king, bersin, sherrod martin, charles godfrey, armanti edwards, mackenzy bernadeau, to name a few. and they’re still doing it with amini.

They knew Capt was not going to be here last yr,when they drafted him. Hoping Corn would pan out but he did not . I think they suspected all this and just didn't want to anounce him being Capts replacement. 

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Norman was/is a subpar NFL athlete and I used to always argue with people on here about that when he was here. The guy had superb ball skills and instincts though and that's why he was an elite zone CB but struggled playing man. A marginal athlete can still excel in a zone system that allows him to sit back and make the most of his instincts and ball skills, but in man coverage there's just nowhere to hide that lack of athleticism.

Which Is why I wish someone would make Josh play FS just once. 

As for Gaulden, try anything to get some value. If he can be a backup S/CB and core STer, at least maybe Colin Jones can move on. 

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Reaction time is more important than 40 speed.  While Gaulden ran a 4.61 at the combine, Josh  Norman ran a 4.66. Norman was benched because he  had  to gamble and guess--when he  got good at it (anticipating the route), he was great.  Not saying this to endorse Gaulden, saying it to give the guy  a chance before attacking him.

That was also literally the only test that Norman didn't perform better than Gaulden at the combine. Norman was regarded(and proved to be) a very solid prospect, whereas Gaulden was regarded(and is proving to be) a borderline NFL player. It was a very poor draft choice and Gaulden is not a good player. 

15 hours ago, Toomers said:

As for Gaulden, try anything to get some value. If he can be a backup S/CB and core STer, at least maybe Colin Jones can move on. 

Why I asked the question earlier...maybe I don't know where to look...but did Gaulden play ST's last season much?

If he can't find a spot on teams, he likely has no place on this team.

15 hours ago, Toomers said:

Jay Gruden called Norman out in the last few days, basically saying they're "expecting better" from him this season.

On 3/26/2019 at 12:43 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

This is what I'm saying.

Too many people just want to bitch no matter what. The staff changes nothing, bitch. The staff tries to change something, bitch. The staff plays a guy out of position (Shaq at nickel for instance), bitch. The staff tries to move a guy to a position that may be a better fit, bitch. The staff cuts a guy because they didn't use him (CJ Anderson), bitch. The staff makes a move to try get better use out of a player, bitch.

I mean, damn...

Welcome to thee light side!

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jay Gruden called Norman out in the last few days, basically saying they're "expecting better" from him this season.

Not sure why he would expect Josh to get better at CB, at this point in his career. If he wants value out of him, watch what he can do with his main responsibility is to read the QBs eyes. Something he does as well as anyone. 

3 hours ago, Toomers said:

Not sure why he would expect Josh to get better at CB, at this point in his career. If he wants value out of him, watch what he can do with his main responsibility is to read the QBs eyes. Something he does as well as anyone. 

I think it's probably more along the lines of not wearing headphones while the coach is talking...that sort of thing.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, kungfoodude said:

That was also literally the only test that Norman didn't perform better than Gaulden at the combine. Norman was regarded(and proved to be) a very solid prospect, whereas Gaulden was regarded(and is proving to be) a borderline NFL player. It was a very poor draft choice and Gaulden is not a good player. 

Both were projected to be picked 4th or 5th round.

Archived