• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gaulden to Nickel? Rivera says yeah maybe.

Jeremy Igo

24 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

hall wasn’t one of marty’s picks

explain to me how it makes sense moving a player to safety bc you didn’t see his athleticism projecting him to play the nickel position he originally was playing in college, and then moving him to nickel the next year bc your plan at safety didn’t work.

this is throwing poo at the wall by ron and marty and nothing else. either they are holding on to a draft pick instead of cutting their losses bc they overvalue their picks or they don’t know what skills a FS is supposed to have.

You're making a ton of assumptions. I think you just want to bitch and moan, so don't let me stand in your way of doing it. 

I'd sum up my thinking thusly...

I'm okay with trying to find ways to fix mistakes. What I'd really prefer to see though are fewer mistakes.

Rather than needing to make a move to try and salvage a bad pick, wouldn't you  prefer we just get it right the first time?

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I hated the Gaulden pick and thought Harrison should have been the pick (I wanted Crosby the T from Oregon instead of Haynes too). There were concerns about Harrison but that’s how Eddie Jackson dropped but it’s not like Gaulden was some athletic marvel to mold. I hate “projects” that don’t really fit in, especially in day 2.

Definitely not a fan of drafting marginal NFL athletes that you're going to try to move to a position they're not familiar with on the 3rd round. Those are late round flier types of picks. If that 6th rounder doesn't pan out, oh well. He was a 6th round pick. But those mid-round picks are where you have to build the meat of your roster. You're not going to to have a roster of all 1st or 2nd round picks. You have to hit more often than not on those 3rd rounders.

43 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Definitely not a fan of drafting marginal NFL athletes that you're going to try to move to a position they're not familiar with on the 3rd round. Those are late round flier types of picks. If that 6th rounder doesn't pan out, oh well. He was a 6th round pick. But those mid-round picks are where you have to build the meat of your roster. You're not going to to have a roster of all 1st or 2nd round picks. You have to hit more often than not on those 3rd rounders.

Drafting "athletes" and then only later deciding what position to play them in was a staple of the Redskins draft philosophy for a while.

I don't remember if Hurney or Bobby Beathard was there during that period or not. I think not, but I could be wrong about that.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Reaction time is more important than 40 speed.  While Gaulden ran a 4.61 at the combine, Josh  Norman ran a 4.66. Norman was benched because he  had  to gamble and guess--when he  got good at it (anticipating the route), he was great.  Not saying this to endorse Gaulden, saying it to give the guy  a chance before attacking him.

Good point.  I forgot about Norman’s time. I am all for giving him a shot at Nickel. I took Norman a couples years to get going.  I don’t want to give up on him yet. I am also hopeful that Perry Fewell can work some magic with our whole secondary.  Tired of it being such a weak link. 

The ironic part about the Gaulden pick....it was reported he was chosen because Brady Hoke coached him at TN and thought he was great. Of course Hoke did not even make it through the season before getting canned. 

And no - I am not suggesting he got fired because of Gaulden but only I am pretty sure Gaulden was picked due to his recommendation 

11 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Good point.  I forgot about Norman’s time. I am all for giving him a shot at Nickel. I took Norman a couples years to get going.  I don’t want to give up on him yet. I am also hopeful that Perry Fewell can work some magic with our whole secondary.  Tired of it being such a weak link. 

Norman was/is a subpar NFL athlete and I used to always argue with people on here about that when he was here. The guy had superb ball skills and instincts though and that's why he was an elite zone CB but struggled playing man. A marginal athlete can still excel in a zone system that allows him to sit back and make the most of his instincts and ball skills, but in man coverage there's just nowhere to hide that lack of athleticism.

I think more so than anything, coaching was a BIG gap for this team all over last year, I respect the sentiment to promote from within, but as we saw with Washington every coach internally isn't ready to take that next step, even in Wilks we saw that as the DC. 

Bringing in more proven NFL coaching is always a plus IMO, Fewell's background with NYG when they were one of the early teams featuring Nickel personnel, and three to four DE's on passing downs, with his work in JAX regardless of Ramsey's tweets, has me encouraged. 

Rivera - DC

Washington - DL / Asst DC (since I don't know the official title)

Sam Mills Jr - LBs (if memory serves)

Fewell - Secondary

This is a solid group manning the defense moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, bull123 said:

So from LY draft we have Moore & Jackson that were right away impact players, good ones...and Thomas that was on the edge

gauldon, Carter, and Haynes...I’ll even include corn in with this bunch

2 LB and 2 secondary guys.....will they improve into impact players TY?...

definitely in our best interests that they do...will they is the question

I think Moore, Jackson, and Thomas are all three gonna be studs. I don't necessarily mean perennial All-Pros but definitely "good starter" types. We'll see on the rest of the class.

Perfectly fine trying him at Nickel.  My question....if that was his natural position, why wasn't he played there last season...or at least tried there?

Looking like yet another wasted 2/3 rd round pick for Marty Hurney.

Pick a good player in the 1st that will have an immediate impact, pick an off the wall player in the 2/3 that may or may not be able to play football, and hope for a home run.

That is what Marty has been doing for a LONG time now.

Either way, I hope he is the best nickel in the league next season.

That was hands down the worst pick, both when it was made and now revisiting it almost a year removed.  I expect Gaulden will wash out pretty quickly.

He wasn't athletic enough to play corner, so they talked about moving him to safety.  Yet, he lacks the instincts, range, and physicality to play safety.  So, he has no position...  the talk of playing him at nickel is even more confounding to me bc even at nickel, you dont have to be blazing fast with top end speed, but you have to be quick, explosive, agile, and preferably strong...  none of which describe Gaulden.

Archived