• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gaulden to Nickel? Rivera says yeah maybe.

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Don't misunderstand. I'm not necessarily against it.

It would, however, be accurate to say I don't put a lot of faith in it.

We're not talking about a case of "this guy is good here, but I think he'd be even better here". Like most have the past position switches we've seen, it's being considered because the guy isn't very good at his current spot and we're hoping that maybe he'll be better somewhere else.

By all means, give it a shot, but I'm gonna be realistic when it comes to how much of a chance this has of working.

I'd feel differently of we were trying to move him from a position he'd played previously to a new position. This is the opposite. We're moving him back to the position he played in college after he failed in the new position that we tried him at as a rookie. It's a difficult enough transition to the NFL without also trying to learn a new position at the same time. Gaulden very well may not end up working out, but we haven't given the kid a fair shot yet. I see this as actually doing that.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We cut Hall before his second season after he was a 3rd round pick. I didn't want Hurney back, but he's here so I'm going to try to give him a fair shot.

hall wasn’t one of marty’s picks

explain to me how it makes sense moving a player to safety bc you didn’t see his athleticism projecting him to play the nickel position he originally was playing in college, and then moving him to nickel the next year bc your plan at safety didn’t work.

this is throwing poo at the wall by ron and marty and nothing else. either they are holding on to a draft pick instead of cutting their losses bc they overvalue their picks or they don’t know what skills a FS is supposed to have.

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If he can't earn a spot at the nickle position then it's time to talk about a place on the PS or seeing if he has any trade value to anyone. He was terrible as a safety, to the point it's a legitimate debate if he is worth a roster spot outside the PS. 

You have  them  compete for  jobs,  so  debate is not necessary.   I  get what you are  saying, but there are a lot  of CBs who  can't  play  FS and vica  versa.  I  have been saying (for weeks) that  they might move  Gaulden to nickel--at least to  get a look.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd feel differently of we were trying to move him from a position he'd played previously to a new position. This is the opposite. We're moving him back to the position he played in college after he failed in the new position that we tried him at as a rookie. It's a difficult enough transition to the NFL without also trying to learn a new position at the same time. Gaulden very well may not end up working out, but we haven't given the kid a fair shot yet. I see this as actually doing that.

Which brings up another point...

Ron and Marty really need to stop with the whole "draft a cornerback to play safety" and vice versa thing. It hasn't exactly produced stellar results.

1 minute ago, frash.exe said:

hall wasn’t one of marty’s picks

explain to me how it makes sense moving a player to safety bc you didn’t see his athleticism projecting him to play the nickel position he originally was playing in college, and then moving him to nickel the next year bc your plan at safety didn’t work.

this is throwing poo at the wall by ron and marty and nothing else. either they are holding on to a draft pick instead of cutting their losses bc they overvalue their picks or they don’t know what skills a FS is supposed to have.

It's a 90 man roster at this point. Even if he is a complete and utter dud, he is worth a shot because he is already on the roster and he is cheap. I'm not sure anyone would argue it was a terrible pick, it's just he is here so see if we can make lemonade out of the lemon. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which brings up another point...

Ron and Marty really need to stop with the whole "draft a cornerback to play safety" and vice versa thing. It hasn't exactly produced stellar results.

100% agreed. The only position changes that seem to have a decent degree of success from the college to NFL level are OT to OG and DE to 3-4 OLB.

Safety and CB are very different positions with very different responsibilities. If it was an easy transition you'd see a lot more aging CBs slide over to S to extend their careers.

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's a 90 man roster at this point. Even if he is a complete and utter dud, he is worth a shot because he is already on the roster and he is cheap. I'm not sure anyone would argue it was a terrible pick, it's just he is here so see if we can make lemonade out of the lemon. 

90 man roster or not, i think it’s been proven that safety and cb are not just these interchangeable positions that you can slide whoever you want back and forth on.

so draft a nickel corner bc he looks like he can play nickel in the nfl based on your evaluation. or draft a free safety bc he looks like he can play there at the pro level.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

100% agreed. The only position changes that seem to have a decent degree of success from the college to NFL level are OT to OG and DE to 3-4 OLB.

Safety and CB are very different positions with very different responsibilities. If it was an easy transition you'd see a lot more aging CBs slide over to S to extend their careers.

I think that's more of a Marty thing than a Ron thing, but Ron clearly goes along with it.

Hurney was doing that before Rivera got here, most famously with Charles Godfrey and Sherrod Martin.

To me,  this told the league about the Panther draft:

1. DL  (assumed--75% DL, 20%  OL, 5% other)

2. FS (If we need a starter and it aint on the roster, we have to go FS  early--Abrams, maybe?)

3. QB (When RR says  Cam's shoulder is  "trending upward" that is either a scary fact or pre-draft bluffing.)

3. OL (I think we grab a G here, one capable  of starting. Left side of line is going to be suspect again with unproven or weak  players)

Ya'll really in here bashing a guy that was drafted and played out of position as a rookie, on a team with NO PASS rush....

The Huddle is an amazing place. 

Then when the team looks to course correct there is more bashing...like damn we are cash strapped, and have other draft needs.

It makes PERFECT sense to look at the kid at his college position, beyond that who is to say this wasn't part of the conversation his rookie year, while also giving him a chance to actually get on the field & play FS since the NICKEL POSITION was always going to be Munnerlyn, and Elder had a year ahead of him on the team already. 

Archived