• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gaulden to Nickel? Rivera says yeah maybe.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Why not though? What's the risk? There is none. What's the potential reward? Maybe he's a good nickel just like he was in college. Playing him at the nickel wouldn't really be "moving" him. We tried moving him last year. Playing him at the nickel would be playing him where hes most comfortable. It's a no brainer IMO. That doesn't mean it will work, but there's no reason not to try it.

Has it worked yet?

I get the idea, but it plays into one of Rivera's weaknesses, i.e. hanging on to "try hard" players who as often as not just aren't good enough.

I sometimes think Rivera believes every underdog can potentially be Sam Mills. It's a great story when they are, but 95% of them aren't.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Has it worked yet?

I get the idea, but it plays into one of Rivera's weaknesses, i.e. hanging on to "try hard" players who as often as not just aren't good enough.

I sometimes think Rivera believes every underdog can potentially be Sam Mills. It's a great story when they are, but 95% of them aren't.

How is this trying too hard? We spent a third round pick on the guy. It would be foolish to give up on him without actually giving him a shot to play the position he's most comfortable playing. The only way I'll complain is if Gaulden and Corn are the only options we consider at nickel.

He was a good player coming out of college. People trash him because he didn’t see the field in year one, but give him an opportunity and see what he can do year 2. People gave Butler a much longer leash after a few years simply because he was a first round pick. Gaulden was a third round pick just starting year 2....give him a chance after being a professional for a full year and getting into NFL shape. He seemed very eager to prove himself at the end of last season from his tweets so let’s see if he can back it up. 

Hmm let’s just cut a guy after his rookie season then since we get fan points for moving on from mistakes as fast as possible?

we owe him money for his contract for 3 more years. He’s young. Why not test him any way we can til we can’t use him? Why pay him to go play nickel for another team without us trying him there first?

1 minute ago, Ship said:

Hmm let’s just cut a guy after his rookie season then since we get fan points for moving on from mistakes as fast as possible?

we owe him money for his contract for 3 more years. He’s young. Why not test him any way we can til we can’t use him? Why pay him to go play nickel for another team without us trying him there first?

This is what I'm saying.

Too many people just want to bitch no matter what. The staff changes nothing, bitch. The staff tries to change something, bitch. The staff plays a guy out of position (Shaq at nickel for instance), bitch. The staff tries to move a guy to a position that may be a better fit, bitch. The staff cuts a guy because they didn't use him (CJ Anderson), bitch. The staff makes a move to try get better use out of a player, bitch.

I mean, damn...

bc clutching on to these “investments” like they’re rosary beads in the hopes that they will develop slowly into quality starters somewhere is one of the core causes of the mismanagement of personnel by rivera and especially hurney over the years

they did it with otah, jeff king, bersin, sherrod martin, charles godfrey, armanti edwards, mackenzy bernadeau, to name a few. and they’re still doing it with amini.

If he can't earn a spot at the nickle position then it's time to talk about a place on the PS or seeing if he has any trade value to anyone. He was terrible as a safety, to the point it's a legitimate debate if he is worth a roster spot outside the PS. 

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

If he can't earn a spot at the nickle position then it's time to talk about a place on the PS or seeing if he has any trade value to anyone. He was terrible as a safety, to the point it's a legitimate debate if he is worth a roster spot outside the PS. 

This. Moving him to S was a failure, so give him a shot at his more natural position. The guy is on a cheap rookie contract for three more seasons. This is only a mistake if we're treating this move as THE solution at nickelback.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How is this trying too hard? We spent a third round pick on the guy. It would be foolish to give up on him without actually giving him a shot to play the position he's most comfortable playing. The only way I'll complain is if Gaulden and Corn are the only options we consider at nickel.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not necessarily against it.

It would, however, be accurate to say I don't put a lot of faith in it.

We're not talking about a case of "this guy is good here, but I think he'd be even better here". Like most of the past position switches we've seen, it's being considered because the guy isn't very good at his current spot and we're hoping that maybe he'll be better somewhere else.

By all means, give it a shot, but I'm gonna be realistic when it comes to how much of a chance this has of working.

4 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

bc clutching on to these “investments” like they’re rosary beads in the hopes that they will develop slowly into quality starters somewhere is one of the core causes of the mismanagement of personnel by rivera and especially hurney over the years

they did it with otah, jeff king, bersin, sherrod martin, charles godfrey, armanti edwards, mackenzy bernadeau, to name a few. and they’re still doing it with amini.

We cut Hall before his second season after he was a 3rd round pick. I didn't want Hurney back, but he's here so I'm going to try to give him a fair shot.

Reaction time is more important than 40 speed.  While Gaulden ran a 4.61 at the combine, Josh  Norman ran a 4.66. Norman was benched because he  had  to gamble and guess--when he  got good at it (anticipating the route), he was great.  Not saying this to endorse Gaulden, saying it to give the guy  a chance before attacking him.

Archived