• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What percentage of music today is Doo Doo?

Jeremy Igo

It depends on your tastes. There is something out there for everyone.

However, I still find myself listening to albums that are now dated, rather than actively seeking out new things.

Most of main-stream radio is probably junk. 95% is probably close there. Surprisingly, I've like some of the newer country songs more than anything else I've heard on the radio lately.

Mainstream radio rock bands destroyed the genre sometime around Nickleback and Creed.

Rap continues to force feed us disingenuous performers or the next great white hype. That, as well as some of the lazier approaches to lyrics and production that got mainstream in recent years.

I tend to stay in my lanes, I guess, of metal and lesser commercial hip hop.

I do have to admit that I do like artists like The Weeknd and Bruno Mars, but even they haven't done a whole lot lately.

48 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

The doom genre seems to be doing well right now.  I'm not involved in it myself but it seems like there's a regional or bigger national band coming through Durham or Chapel Hill a few times a month.

Yup, doom has some really good stuff right now and probably the genre of metal I'm mostly following for "new music".    Stuff like Elder, Khemmis, Pallbearer and the recent Sleep album are fantastic.

The good thing about good music is it'll always be good music, tomorrow, 10 years from now, 40 years from now, etc.

It’s fairly bad IMO including the metal genre that has gotten pretty dried up as well.  One band that has surprisingly stayed pretty good is Judas Preist.  Their recent releases aren’t all time epic but very high quality.  Also, Cannibal Corpse has put out some of their best albums starting with Kill which is absolutely amazing.  My favorite CC but these dudes have put out some killer releases lately.  Torture is outstanding in particular.

It really depends on where you look, but I do have to agree that the majority of new music coming out isn't good. There are a lot of reasons for this.

The internet and streaming services have given birth to the mainstream DIY band/musician/artist. If you have a mic and Ableton, you can call yourself a "producer". So the music market is so saturated that it's hard to find the gold nuggets when the majority is crap that wouldn't see the light of day decades ago. And the DIY nature of the industry means good songwriters aren't developed and rewarded like they were decades ago. You can't sell records anymore so there's no monetary benefit to fund a band or artist. The only income a musician can expect is live shows and the margins are so thin that no prudent investor wants in on that action.

And if the artist is talented and works really hard, the only time they'll see any sort of funding or help is after they've already made a name for themselves, and an investor can profit off a brand name. Then the artist will likely stop trying to make "good" music and will just make music that sells to pay back an investor. The old adage of selling out is hyper-focused these days. A mid-level touring act you've probably heard of is likely mired in debt or just barely breaking even to tour.

Most young songwriters with big dreams of being a rockstar toil in obscurity for years, then either quit and get a real job and start a family, or fights for decades to get a little scrap of the limelight.

Toss on that in a strictly theoretical sense, all music is just a regurgitation of what came before it, so everything either sounds oddly familiar or awful.

That should answer your question.

Older guys, I'm generally curious. Were the "classics" that we have now considered good by the general population when they came out or is it only now that they're considered good? I'm 30, so I guess I'm talking pre-90s. I do agree that general radio sucks, but it sells unfortunately. Plus, the stations only play a handful of people that are considered big nowadays (Beyonce, Ariana, Taylor, Miley, Bruno, etc.) and they play them non-stop.

46 minutes ago, Arroz con Panther said:

Older guys, I'm generally curious. Were the "classics" that we have now considered good by the general population when they came out or is it only now that they're considered good? I'm 30, so I guess I'm talking pre-90s. I do agree that general radio sucks, but it sells unfortunately. Plus, the stations only play a handful of people that are considered big nowadays (Beyonce, Ariana, Taylor, Miley, Bruno, etc.) and they play them non-stop.

survivorship bias

basically the fact that they consider that all music made within a range of years was good is because they can’t remember all the garbage that was made during that time.

I do know that Rolling Stone used to have all their reviews trashing Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath albums online but they removed them years ago.

e:

actually never mind

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/led-zeppelin-i-187298/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/led-zeppelin-ii-182340/

1 minute ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

I do know that Rolling Stone used to have all their reviews trashing Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath albums online but they removed them years ago.

This still goes on today, fwiw. A lot of the metal I am into is, like imho or whatever, the best I have ever heard within the different sub-genres. Yet, I still have to read about stuff like Slipknot, Ghost, and other bands I don't care about/don't really consider metal when I try to go out and get "metal" news and/or new bands to listen to. Not only do they not cover it, but they promote way too much other stuff that nobody cares about.

I know a lot of it falls back onto the bands themselves, management, and labels. But, uggghh.

I'm googling "new Wretched album" like way too often. It has gotten so bad it is almost on pace with googling "The Winds of Winter" lol

6 hours ago, Shocker said:

It’s fairly bad IMO including the metal genre that has gotten pretty dried up as well.  One band that has surprisingly stayed pretty good is Judas Preist.  Their recent releases aren’t all time epic but very high quality.  Also, Cannibal Corpse has put out some of their best albums starting with Kill which is absolutely amazing.  My favorite CC but these dudes have put out some killer releases lately.  Torture is outstanding in particular.

Latest Judas Priest is their best since 91's Painkiller for sure, top metal album last year overall which is crazy.    Seen them with Deep Purple last year, still killing it.

I have not listened to terrestrial radio in almost 15 years. I listen to the blues channel as well as Deep Tracks and a couple other stations, but when I'm looking for "new" music, I feel like I'm spending hours just searching and listening.

In the meantime, my vinyl collection, which sat for decades, is getting new additions and I'm having fun dusting off some of those...

Archived