• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What percentage of music today is Doo Doo?

Jeremy Igo

You really have to search for something worth listening to today. The (free) radio doesn't help anymore. Music has always been money maker. And yet nothing. Why are the Rolling Stones still touring? If Led Zeppelin does a 50th anniversary tour, will it not be the biggest shows of the year?  I hate sounding like an old fug on the lawn, but music is terrible today. No heart. No soul. 

On the FM radio....yeah sounds about right.

I feel fortunate to have discovered some great new music in the past few years.

Kurt Vile's newest album is great. Father John Misty's "I Love You Honeybear" and its follow-up "Pure Comedy" are two of my favorite albums ever. Tame Impala is about to drop a new album...that entire catalogue is great. Francis and the Lights last two albums are great.

Great music is out there, just have to be lucky enough to find it.

There is a lot of good music but like mentioned above you have to put in some work to find it, and in my experience, across all genres there is good stuff.     You don't find it on the radio, especially Charlotte radio, but you sometimes can on Sirius/XM.

On a serious note there's a reason why hip hop is destroying mainstream rock right now.  A lot of sincere, genre-bending, ambitious stuff is being made in that style of music.

Really what's the most exciting thing going on in surface rawk right now, Greta Van Fleet or whatever?  That band that's trying to be a clone of that other band that broke up 40 years ago?

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

On a serious note there's a reason why hip hop is destroying mainstream rock right now.  A lot of sincere, genre-bending, ambitious stuff is being made in that style of music.

Really what's the most exciting thing going on in surface rawk right now, Greta Van Fleet or whatever?  That band that's trying to be a clone of that other band that broke up 40 years ago?

Yeah there isn't much actual rock in mainstream it's just Imagine Dragons type stuff.    Greta is actually a pretty good band and on their latest album they did some more original type stuff that is better than the more Zeppelin-ish stuff.    They also do a lot of jam session 19 minute songs live that are pretty good.  To be fair, Zeppelin was one of the biggest rip off artists of all time with their music.     But everyone sounds like someone, just some more than others.    

I can say there is a lot of good metal going on right now but you have to search for it.     

Dermot Kennedy is one of the very few who is rightfully in the limelight right now. Him and Noah Gundersen are absolute geniuses. If you like soulful acoustic rock please go check them out.

17 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I can say there is a lot of good metal going on right now but you have to search for it.     

The doom genre seems to be doing well right now.  I'm not involved in it myself but it seems like there's a regional or bigger national band coming through Durham or Chapel Hill a few times a month.

lots of good stuff. lots of crap too. it all depends on what you like (what you consider good music) and where you look for it. I don't have a problem finding good stuff to listen to. I've got a good few stations across several genres on pandora. I've got to train the stations a bit but I find good stuff. of course most of the stuff has a little age on it, but a surprising amount is pretty current. 

good  music is always getting made. of course sucky music is always getting made as well. the great thing about this era is that it is so much easier to make good recordings of stuff and get it out there than it was back when I was making it 20ish years ago. I mean lots of junk gets out there too, but the good stuff gets out there as well.

Archived