• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My three round mock.

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Finally! We agree on something! Not that we never agree. It just seems like a long time.

I like what I've seen of Grier. He looks like he could be the prototypical pocket passer. He can deliver dimes on a rope from what I've seen. I think that on its face, Grier would be an excellent get in the third round.

Like these other people I don't go off senior bowl and combine. I go by REAL games and this dude can make all the throws and throw with accuracy from the pocket. I've watched him last couple years and hope we get him in the third if he is still there. I think someone will grab him in second but if he is there with either 3rd Rd pick we better take him!

If the Panthers are truly considering Grier as a backup,it may signal a philosophical change in Norvs offense and be an indication of Cams health.  From what I’ve heard/read Grier is considered a West Coast QB, Where short passing,timing and rhythm are key.  Norvs over the top Coryell offense requires a stronger  arm.  Later last season we saw these shorter, higher percentage ,run after the catch  routes due to Cams problems.  This may now be a permanent change and drafting a WC QB would solidify this.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:37 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

I have developed my first mock of this season. 

Here it be.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/2019/03/25/carolina-panthers-2019-mock-draft/

TLDR version

1. Burns - Edge - FSU

2. Deiter - G/C Wisconsin

3a Grier - QB- W by God VU (trade up likely)

3b. Tell - S - USC (if not traded)

I'd go Burns/Ferrell (Ferrell seems a slight reach to me) if available, then Dexter Lawrence, then Ben Powers, then Jaquan Johnson - Go with Jrodan Ta'amu in the fourth. 

If Burns and Ferrell are gone, i go Cody Ford, Winovich/Omenihu, Savage/Thornhill (Thornhill is all over the board), Will Greer and then go best development OT or NT. 

I do like your thinking on Deiter since he's a guy that can play anywhere, but i'd trade back to get him. Too rich at our second, that givces you firepower for Grier too without losing a whole lot. 

53 minutes ago, sml1950 said:

If the Panthers are truly considering Grier as a backup,it may signal a philosophical change in Norvs offense and be an indication of Cams health.  From what I’ve heard/read Grier is considered a West Coast QB, Where short passing,timing and rhythm are key.  Norvs over the top Coryell offense requires a stronger  arm.  Later last season we saw these shorter, higher percentage ,run after the catch  routes due to Cams problems.  This may now be a permanent change and drafting a WC QB would solidify this.

Timing and rhythm are pretty important in the Coryell too, especially Norv's version of it. And Grier's no noodle arm. Remember the bit posted about the velocity of his passes.

With that said, I'll repeat what I've said here before:

There is no quarterback characteristic more overrated by fans than arm strength.

You know who didn't have "cannon" arm strength? Guys like Joe Montana, Drew Brees, Dan Fouts, Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Who did? Among the names that come to mind are Michael Vick, Jeff George, Ryan Leaf and our old buddy Kerry Collins.

Having a strong arm certainly isn't a bad thing (Jim Kelly, John Elway and Dan Marino certainly did) but it's nowhere near as important as fans like to make it.

If you wanna sour on a quarterback because he doesn't have "a gun for an arm"...Well, just take a look above at some of the names you'd have balked at.

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

Finally! We agree on something! Not that we never agree. It just seems like a long time.

I like what I've seen of Grier. He looks like he could be the prototypical pocket passer. He can deliver dimes on a rope from what I've seen. I think that on its face, Grier would be an excellent get in the third round.

What do you think caused his struggles in Mobile? 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Next year would be smarter, much better QB class. I think Allen will do as well this year as any rookie would and the QB class is better. Heck, if Cam isn’t really getting better in the shoulder you can get a real replacement. 

Not disagreeing with you, but if there is.good value for a ab they like, then it's a no brainer. 

5 hours ago, trueblade said:

What do you think caused his struggles in Mobile? 

Could have been several things, the least of which is just being out of his element (so to speak). He wasn't necessarily familiar with the guys or the coaches and didn't get to thoroughly develop chemistry with them. So, perhaps he was just off. That being said, it's not an excuse per se. But, is it really smart to judge a player during one game (or week) as opposed to looking at his full body of work? I don't really think so.

15 hours ago, stbugs said:

Next year would be smarter, much better QB class. I think Allen will do as well this year as any rookie would and the QB class is better. Heck, if Cam isn’t really getting better in the shoulder you can get a real replacement. 

The 2012 QB class was better than the 2011 one too, but it only takes one.

(which is good because Heaven help us the rest of that year's quarterback class would make your eyes bleed)

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We don’t have the #1 overall pick, so not sure how that reference makes any sense here. 1983 was a great QB class and a guy like Marino is the 27th pick. 1984 had 0 first round QBs. Esiason went in the 2nd. Marino in 1984 is a top 10 pick because of the QB class.

If you take a QB this year you are more likely getting a worse one than next year. There may be a QB late in the 1st that would be top 10 this year (Herbert for instance).

If Grier is just improving our backup QB and not a replacement for Cam then I’d rather spend that pick on a DL and wait unti 2020 to find an actual replacement level guy and let Allen handle backup duty. 

Point being it doesn't matter if the class overall is horrible as long as the guy you pick is good.

30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Again, that’s not relevant. Of course, if you pick a stud late that’s great. We are talking about unknowns. Grier “could” be a future HOFer or out of the league before his rookie contract is up.

The only valid point is that you are more likely to get a real replacement level QB in a better QB class because a top class top 10 QB one year could be an end of the 1st QB next year. Drafting Grier early 3rd means he’s likely to not be good enough just based on normal draft odds. I’d rather wait based on future odds. I’d rather take a 3rd round DT (who’d be an early 2nd next year) when that DT is needed more for 2020 (Short and Poe likely gone due to contracts) and pick a real potential QB maybe in the 1st next year, especially if Cam’s shoulder isn’t getting better. 

This was from Verge's source...

Will Grier is gaining momentum from a 6th round pick to what looks like possibly a 3rd round or earlier guy, blew teams away with his game knowledge.

That's a big deal.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

It is?

He was considered a 6th round pick. The only QB drafted in the 6th or below in the past 20 years that mattered is Brady. Do you think he’s Brady?

Since Brady, there are 4 QBs drafted 3rd round of later that have been significant contributors. Nick Foles (as a backup), Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins (numbers not success) and Dak Prescott. 3 of those were drafted in 2012, which was a much better QB class which dropped them down a bit. 2019 isn’t a good QB draft class by most measures. Then there’s Dak.

So, unless you’re telling me he’s Russell Wilson or Tom Brady, he’s almost 99% not a franchise QB. Outside of 2012, there’s Tom and Dak and then every other 3rd round or worse QB. The odds are ridiculously bad. 

I'm not comparing him to anybody till I've seen him play in the NFL.

I am saying that game knowledge is a huge reason why quarterbacks like Brady, Manning, Brees and others have been successful, and successful long term.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:05 AM, ncfan said:

Mack, Miller and Burns all played at around 235 in college as edge Linebackers who bulked up to 250 at the combine 

Miller combine

6'3 250.   4.53 40.   37vert.    126 broad  6.7 3cone

Mack combine 

6'3 251.   4.65. 40.   40vert.   128 broad.   7.08 3cone

Burns combine 

6'5 249.   4.53 40.   36vert.    129 broad.  7.01 3cones

Hell Bruce Irving became best friends with Mack in Oakland. If we draft Burns have Irving link up with Mack for one of those "DE camps" that Von Miller does. 

Archived