• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 3-4 defense confirmed.

Jeremy Igo

32 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Wonder if the 3-4 was Rivera’s decision and preference. Seems like it is since he is completely taking over the defense this year. 4-3 in the past might have been just because the DC at the time wanted it.

I don’t see Butler being a nose tackle. He has the size but doesn’t demand the respect of a double team. KK could, but he’s probably better rushing on his own and that’s if he gets his head out of his ass.

Going full on 3-4, still need important pieces and if Rivera is on thin ice to preform I tend to believe he won’t be going full on 3-4 without the personnel.

Yeah we don't have the personnel to go full 3-4

I think we have the personnel to run the 3-4 already.

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Would make sense. We really only have 1 DE on our current roster. 

- Luke and Shaq would now being playing the 2 ILB spots with Irvin and Addison at OLB

- Kawann Short at LDE, Poe at NT, Vernon Butler RDE

Exactly how we are going to set it up. We will likely have all three linemen play a gap control stop the run first and then rush on obvious passing downs getting outside pressure from OLBs and safeties and A gap.pressure up the middle from ILBs. We don't need Poe to get upfield for example. Just hold your ground and stop the run. You end up disguising the blitz better when you can switch up post snap rather than now where defenses know who is going to blitz on every play.

5 minutes ago, ecu88 said:

Early football had 7-2 fronts, then 6-4 happened, 4-3 front became dominant and now 3-4 is the new hot formation.

What is next 2-4/5? 

The heyday of the 3-4 was in the 70s and 80s.  There was a cooling off before reemerging more recently.

Shaq Thompson is too small to play inside of a 3-4 and doesn't have the pass rush ability to play outside. We need two pass rushing OLB/DE hybrids and a solid LB to play next to Luke. I feel like this switch took the strongest part of our defense and now made it a weakness. 

" The front you use is often dictated these days by the personnel you can find coming out of college. It seems hard to find that many guys who translate to good 4-3 DEs versus those that can play OLB in a 3-4.  That was a major factor in why we talked about the hybrid. As Rivera sees Hurney fill in more of the pieces to play a 3-4-4 straight up I suspect we will use it a lot mixed with 3-3-5 looks against big passing teams.

Just now, panthers55 said:

" The front you use is often dictated these days by the personnel you can find coming out of college. It seems hard to find that many guys who translate to good 4-3 DEs versus those that can play OLB in a 3-4.  That was a major factor in why we talked about the hybrid. As Rivera sees Hurney fill in more of the pieces to play a 3-4-4 straight up I suspect we will use it a lot mixed with 3-3-5 looks against big passing teams.

I hate it man, we've been a 4-3 team forever and its always been our strong suit maybe I just need to adapt lol.

Archived