• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 3-4 defense confirmed.

Jeremy Igo

To end this madness---

As a coach, you  don't  force a player  into  a position and make him go by the  traditional  assignments of  that  position at all times---a good coach is flexible,  and will  move players  around after the pre snap read to play not  only to the  player's  strengths, but in a manner that creates mismatches after subs have  been brought it. The more  a player can do, the more  a coach can change the look.

I will say that the transition to the 3-4 has been right there in front of us-players taken on day 3 are often developmental--so we take Thomas and Haynes--the  future.  We take Carter and Smith--both depth that could become better in the 3-4.

Now look at what we have--players some call busts--Gaulden, Butler, even Poe--could they be better in the 3-4?  Butler could I know--  I really want to see what they do at FS and CB, fwiw.  I also want to see if and how Gaulden fits into this plan.

Frankly, I do not pretend  to be  a 3-4  expert, but if you buy into that theory, you can rationalize it.

17 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

I think what's going to happen is we will be base 4-3, but with Irvin at OLB we would mostly be 5-2 with Luke and Shaq in coverage. 3-4 looks will probably have another OLB or CB/S. Don't think I'd want the 4th guy to be a DE like Addison who I doubt has coverage ability. I'm also not sure I want to see our LBs covering a slot CB. We usually lose that battle. In summary, I think we'll have looks from not only 4-3 or 3-4, but 5-2 as well.

WR.

Of course, the way we looked at times last year...

Dang--dropped the 5-2  on us.  Brain explosion

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

need some help guys.  Let's say we take Burns in the first to play OLB.  We'd still need to draft a DE, right?  Or no?  I don't know anything about the 3-4

Ask black-panthers maybe he can start another thread about it since he thinks he know everything.

Not getting into this debate.. But it sounds like he will play that Elephant role Rivera has been talking about for years.. We will probably run a hybrid system 4/3 base with some 3/4 elements especially on passing downs.   Not a full 3/4 JMO.. But the draft will really show what the plan is..

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I will say that the transition to the 3-4 has been right there in front of us-players taken on day 3 are often developmental--so we take Thomas and Haynes--the  future.  We take Carter and Smith--both depth that could become better in the 3-4.

I see how Smith would be a easy transition to 3-4 ILB at 6’1”  240.  But where does Carter fit at as a short 230 lbs in a 3-4.  I’m not sure he could bulk up enough for ILB. And doesn’t have the length for an 3-4 OLB

4 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

That's changing the argument. Multiple people claiming he never played 4-3 olb when you have Irvin himself talking about it. He was at 4-3 olb of every depth chart for them past his rookie season 

I don't really care about the semantics between OLB and DE, what I was responding to was the argument by that other guy that Irvin was here to replace TD, which won't be the case at all.

Wonder if the 3-4 was Rivera’s decision and preference. Seems like it is since he is completely taking over the defense this year. 4-3 in the past might have been just because the DC at the time wanted it.

I don’t see Butler being a nose tackle. He has the size but doesn’t demand the respect of a double team. KK could, but he’s probably better rushing on his own and that’s if he gets his head out of his ass.

Going full on 3-4, still need important pieces and if Rivera is on thin ice to preform I tend to believe he won’t be going full on 3-4 without the personnel.

4 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

You dont remember. Take it up with Bruce:

"The Seahawks moved Irvin from defensive end to SAM linebacker after his rookie season, when he recorded eight sacks. The past three seasons while working more in pass coverage and run-stopping, he combined for 14. 

"I honestly felt like if I stayed in that [Seattle] system, I don't think I ever would be the player that I think I can be in this league, and that's being a pass rusher," Irvin told hosts Bruce Murray and Kirk Morrison. "SAM outside linebacker is cool, but you can do your job the whole game at SAM linebacker and you'll have two tackles.""

https://m.seattlepi.com/sports/seahawks/article/Bruce-Irvin-thinks-he-was-misused-by-the-Seahawks-6893992.php

Then there is this.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2015-depth-charts-seattle-seahawks

And this

https://emeraldcityswagger.com/2015/04/30/bruce-irvin-might-leave-seattle-what-now/

Oh dang! ...this has to be fake...Scott never wrong , just ask him...

Archived