• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 3-4 defense confirmed.

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, Trill OG said:

lol he will not be the pick. We still going Dline in round 1 buddy. It's much easier to find a OLB in the later rounds and still get good production.

It wouldn't shock me if we picked him. Hurney has picked LBs before when we had other more pressing needs. Both Luke and Beason were picked in that situation.

I wouldn't be excited about that pick, but Hurney does have a pretty incredible track record with 1st round LBs. Morgan, TD, Beason, Luke. IMO, all four of those guys had HOF caliber ability.

8 minutes ago, Panthero said:

Yep. I see Dexter Lawrence making a lot of sense if we move to a real 3-4. Poe is big enough for NT, but no one else on the roster can hold that down. you need to be 330-plus. I'd take Burns in the first and Lawrence in the second. 

Vernon Butler (6'4" 330 lbs) fits that criteria and was essentially the NT when on the field with Love last season.  He might be moved this offseason with the lack of production, change and nearing the end of his rookie contract though.

2 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

If this is “confirmation “ that we’re going to a 3-4 then you guys must realize that Tepper is giving Ron more than one offseason to put it together... 

I was saying the same thing a few weeks ago, that if a full move was true then Ron and Marty are here for more then one more season. 

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It wouldn't shock me if we picked him. Hurney has picked LBs before when we had other more pressing needs. Both Luke and Beason were picked in that situation.

I wouldn't be excited about that pick, but Hurney does have a pretty incredible track record with 1st round LBs. Morgan, TD, Beason, Luke. IMO, all four of those guys had HOF caliber ability.

I agree with what you’re saying but Morgan was drafted in 2001, Hurney was promoted in 02

2 minutes ago, doogy902 said:

I don't think this necessarily means we'll be strictly 3-4 rather than just being more multiple and being able to adapt our game plan depending on the opponent. NE is a perfect example of that.

No team is strictly a 3-4 or 4-3 these days. I have a feeling we will see more 3-4 than not though.

35 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Igo and Scot are correct. No reason to get bent out of shape. 

Too late--I am bent.

I am not sure  they will clarify anything until  after the draft. I am still struggling to understand what the options are--specifically what they have in mind.

This is RR ninth year as Panthers coach.  The defense has become too predictable with it’s keys, down and distance calls, etc.  He has to make changes to force  teams spend the extra time practicing against different fronts.  It’s been too easy for teams to game plan and run their offense knowing how we’ll react

10 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

If this is “confirmation “ that we’re going to a 3-4 then you guys must realize that Tepper is giving Ron more than one offseason to put it together... 

We've been building for this for a couple years now.  Last year's draft in particular really was a huge warning with the picks of Jackson, Gaulden, Haynes and Carter

Archived