• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what is the Panthers single biggest need now?

Jeremy Igo

26 minutes ago, TheRed said:

On page 2 you said you dont think his shoulder will ever be fixed.

I'm not making declarations about the certainty of his future. You are. I know there's a chance he may never be the same QB. But I'm not betting against a player like him. 

It won't be. There will always be damage to his shoulder. The only question is can it last seasons at a time. No one knows the answer.

45 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Stop exaggerating. There are next gen stats that show this isnt true.

LOL what?  Did you watch the games the second half of the season last year?  I dont need next gen stats to tell me what my eyes already see.  I have a better arm than Cam had at the end of the year last year, this is just a fact.

We're really in BPA territory. We've shored up a lot of stuff this offseason (at least on paper, reality is a bit less predictable) and there are holes, but there are holes in every team. The best player available will always help your team and is a lower risk than targeting a specific player/position and hoping that they are the answer.

As to a backup QB, I've said it before but it bears repeating, if Cam's shoulder is shot then we're better off doing the ride or die with who we have now than dropping big bucks on a FA backup QB. Of course, if the team already knows that Cam's shoulder is shot, sneaking in a 1st round QB is not the worst idea.

I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that, though, and that Cam will be up for comeback player of the year at the end of this season.

37 minutes ago, Snake said:

From what I'm hearing Cams shoulder is 100% better. I would say FS and DT are biggest needs.

What are you hearing?  There hasnt really been any update about his shoulder as far as I know.  I guess Rivera has talked about it a little, but thats it.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I know this is the company line, but I don't think it is 100% accurate. Maybe in a sense of veteran leadership. But Irvin and Peppers are completely different players. No way Irvin can do the things asked of Pep.

I think Irvin will be far more productive than Peppers was last year.  Mortality smacked Pep in the mouth last year.

49 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It's almost as if the shoulder is an extremely complex piece of anatomy and the outcome is uncertain.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It won't be. There will always be damage to his shoulder. The only question is can it last seasons at a time. No one knows the answer.

No one knows the answer, yet you've decided his shoulder will never be the same. You aren't being consistent between posts.

We can spare ourselves the condescension, and just plainly state that neither of us are medical professionals. So stop making declarations in one breath, and then trying to talk down to others about how complicated all this is in another breath.

If you truly want this team to be successful then support Cam, and leave it at that. Stop trashing his clothing line unprompted, and stop feeding this paranoia that established anti-Newton posters like bull123 happily yuck up.

You are better than this f*ckery.

8 minutes ago, TheRed said:

No one knows the answer, yet you've decided his shoulder will never be the same. You aren't being consistent between posts.

We can spare ourselves the condescension, and just plainly state that neither of us are medical professionals. So stop making declarations in one breath, and then trying to talk down to others about how complicated all this is in another breath.

If you truly want this team to be successful then support Cam, and leave it at that. Stop trashing his clothing line unprompted, and stop feeding this paranoia that established anti-Newton posters like bull123 happily yuck up.

You are better than this f*ckery.

Seek help. 

I don't think we should play the if Cams shoulder only lasts half a season game.  If Cam can't go the whole season we ain't winning poo anyway. Might as well fix everything else and hope his arm holds up. IMO Backup QB is the last thing we need

Not sure why no one is talking about the fact that we need a NICKEL CB. FS can be found for relatively cheap.  No so with a good nickel corner.  

Hell if we could get a stout Nickel CB or another good outside CB and move Donte to nickel I might even be fine with Searcy as FS.  

Well maybe not fine.  But I still think we need a GOOD nickel.  I’m hoping Fewell can work some magic in that secondary.  Would be great if he could transform Corn. Not sure if that’s possible though this year.  He looked lost last year in limited time.  

I'm in the no new backup QB camp. Allen can play if Cam's shoulder goes to hell. Heinicke or whatever his name is got an extension as well. Trying to struggle to 8-8 with a better backup who isn't going to lead us to the SB will ruin our draft. Dropping like a stone down a draft where we'll need a new franchise QB is insane. If Cam's shoulder is shot, then I want to lose as many games a possible to draft his replacement. If Cam misses games early, middle, or late in this season due to his shoulder, then I'm done with Cam. We need to move on at that point and draft a QB at the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Not sure why no one is talking about the fact that we need a NICKEL CB. FS can be found for relatively cheap.  No so with a good nickel corner.  

Hell if we could get a stout Nickel CB or another good outside CB and move Donte to nickel I might even be fine with Searcy as FS.  

Well maybe not fine.  But I still think we need a GOOD nickel.  I’m hoping Fewell can work some magic in that secondary.  Would be great if he could transform Corn. Not sure if that’s possible though this year.  He looked lost last year in limited time.  

Several have mentioned CB, including me; I agree with you. We either need to add a nickel CB or add an outside CB and push D Jackson to nickel. Obviously, its probably easier to add a nickel in the draft if we wait until after the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Pass Rusher (DE/OLB) or Free Safety in my opinion. 

Backup QB this season is a no for me. If Cam is permanently injured, then we solidify the rest of the team and move on from Cam after the season. That'll free up the cap to either pursue a real vet QB starter or allow a high enough draft pick to get a young gun to lead the franchise into the next era. 

This may seem harsh, but it's the reality of the NFL. Many players have been mismanaged and damaged beyond repair by inept coaching. Hopefully that's not the case with Cam - I actually really like him, but you can't deny the possibility. He is human. 

6 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I'm in the no new backup QB camp. Allen can play if Cam's shoulder goes to hell. Heinicke or whatever his name is got an extension as well. Trying to struggle to 8-8 with a better backup who isn't going to lead us to the SB will ruin our draft. Dropping like a stone down a draft where we'll need a new franchise QB is insane. If Cam's shoulder is shot, then I want to lose as many games a possible to draft his replacement. If Cam misses games early, middle, or late in this season due to his shoulder, then I'm done with Cam. We need to move on at that point and draft a QB at the end of the season.

I know this would stink during the season, but NBA teams tank all the time to go for the star player. I don't prefer this route, but sometimes it pays off in the long run (ex. Cam). 

Archived