• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what is the Panthers single biggest need now?

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, jtm said:

DE bc Irvin will only fill Peppers role.

I know this is the company line, but I don't think it is 100% accurate. Maybe in a sense of veteran leadership. But Irvin and Peppers are completely different players. No way Irvin can do the things asked of Pep.

I'd say FS followed closely by DT and OT. At DT we have Short, Poe, and Butler. Yuck. Assuming Williams stays healthy, it's only him and Moton that we have at OT. At FS though, we don't have anyone we can call a starter.

I would put DE and backup RB ahead of backup QB. After CMC, it's Elijah Hood and Reggie Bonnafon. 

1 minute ago, KillerKat said:

I'd say FS followed closely by DT and OT. At DT we have Short, Poe, and Butler. Yuck. Assuming Williams stays healthy, it's only him and Moton that we have at OT. At FS though, we don't have anyone we can call a starter. I would put backup RB ahead of backup QB. After CMC, it's Elijah Hood and Reggie Bonnafon. 

And if Cam's shoulder gives out again and we only have the guys currently on the roster, does any of that really matter?

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

And if Cam's shoulder gives out again and we only have the guys currently on the roster, does any of that really matter?

Don't think we can put backup QB ahead of so many holes to fill on the roster. It's still a need, but I don't think there is a QB out there that would take us on a playoff run anyway if Cam doesn't hold up. We would just need someone that is safe with the ball and hope for the best. We have that with Allen at least. Anyone that we could pick up or draft I don't see would be a huge improvement.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I know this is the company line, but I don't think it is 100% accurate. Maybe in a sense of veteran leadership. But Irvin and Peppers are completely different players. No way Irvin can do the things asked of Pep.

Agree but I meant this from the standpoint that Irvin will be a situational player.

The biggest flaw on the team last year was Cam's shoulder. For all the complaints about lousy defense we would have made the playoffs with a healthy Cam. 

I don't really want to invest in a "good" backup QB though. Sink or swim with Cam. Back him up with somebody young, even trade a 3 for Josh Rosen. 

Biggest need I see is still pass rusher. I'm glad Bruce Irvin gives us a veteran presence but we need someone young and long term to rush the passer. OT and Safety are still concerns for me. Eric Reid is slow. We need speed back there.

We have so many holes to fill, everyone's answer will be correct. If you try to create a 53 man roster right now, you'll see our glaring holes. This is why I keep up with one year round. You can make a case for just about any position.

OFFENSE:
WR1: D.J. Moore - Torrey Smith
LT: Taylor Moton 
LG: Greg Van Roten - Taylor Hearn
C: #Matt Paradis#- Tyler Larsen
RG: Trai Turner - Brendan Mahon
RT: Daryl Williams - Dorian Johnson 
TE: Greg Olsen - Ian Thomas  - Chris Manhertz - Jason Vander Laan
WR2: Curtis Samuel - Jarius Wright - Mose Frazier
QB: Cam Newton - Kyle Allen - Taylor Heinicke
FB: Alex Armah
RB: Christian McCaffrey - Elijah Hood - Reggie Bonnafon

DEFENSE:
LE: #Bruce Irvin# - Bryan Cox Jr. - Efe Obada 
UT: Kawann Short - Vernon Butler 
NT: Dontari Poe - #Elijah Qualls#
RE: Mario Addison - Marquis Haynes
SLB: Shaq Thompson - #Jonathan Celestin#
MLB: Luke Kuechly - Andre Smith
WLB: Jermaine Carter Jr. - Jared Norris
LCB: James Bradberry - Ross Cockrell
RCB: Donte Jackson - Corn Elder - Lorenzo Doss
SS: Eric Reid - Colin Jones - Damian Parms
FS: Da'Norris Searcy - Rashaan Gaulden

SPECIAL TEAMS: 
K/KO: Graham Gano
P/H: Michael Palardy
KR: Curtis Samuel - D.J. Moore - Christian McCaffrey
PR: D.J. Moore - Christian McCaffrey - Corn Elder
LS: J.J. Jansen 

* = Draft Pick
# = Free Agent
() = Undrafted Free Agent

Just looking on paper, I'd say a free safety, but that wouldn't stop me from picking BPA in the first and second. 

On an off note, If this draft is as deep at DL as the Huddle believes, then we can wait until after the first to pick up quality D-linemen.

Backup QB is a massive need. The people on this forum saying the Panthers don’t need a backup QB for Cam are the same people who would be blowing up the Huddle after games with “Why didn’t they sign a backup QB” threads if Cam’s shoulder can’t hold up for a full season. You prepare for the worst and hope for the best, not the other way around.

Archived