• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So... Compared to one month ago how are you feeling about this season?

Jeremy Igo

Feeling better. Many of the things that I said we needed to do we did. And Hurney did better than I expected. I figured we would have to wait until the draft for a center and we get a top notch center who called protections for Peyton Manning. Imagine what he learned. Then I figure that Williams is gone and we snatch him on a prove it deal for only 6 million. Hurney is taking risks with injured guys but guys who apparently the medical staff feel good about. If both guys and Cam are healthy, this offense is geared for success. With what we had to spend this was great cap management. Yeah I am ignoring Smith's non guaranteed contract for now.

2 hours ago, t96 said:

It’s pretty clear the team saw OL as a huge weakness last year, has made significant moves to fix it, and has also made it known they will continue to make moves there. 

this team has done nothing but make a slew of lateral moves on the OL. Paradis isn't adding a single win to the panthers win total over what Ryan kalil gave them last season. 

This team can't chase this fantasy of five fantastic OL just because they're resistant to modernizing their approach to offense as a whole. Team's don't feel pressed to have elite lineman when the ball is coming as fast as it is and Ron Rivera's offensive philosophy has just reached the early 2000s.

That also, isn't, largely, what I was even talking about.

Just now, hepcat said:

Lack of attention to the backup QB position has me still concerned. If Cam’s shoulder gives out again it’s going to be a rough season and beyond

lack of "attention" is the one thing that has me encouraged that the team has some form of plan beyond the immediate season.

Now if they can just resist the urge to blow a draft pick on a QB and ship some off for better picks next season, I actually will feel better about this offseason .

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

lack of "attention" is the one thing that has me encouraged that the team has some form of plan beyond the immediate season.

Now if they can just resist the urge to blow a draft pick on a QB and ship some off for better picks next season, I actually will feel better about this offseason .

I mean I disagree 100%. Kyle Allen is a big unknown but probably at best he’s Matt Moore 2.0. Heineke is just a camp arm. The Patriots made a habit of developing a quality backup behind Brady and getting value from it. Given Cam’s shoulder problems they need to take a hard look at either bringing in a vet QB that could start in a pinch or invest a draft pick in a backup. At best the drafted QB never plays and gets traded, at worst that QB gets significant starting time of Cam’s shoulder gives out. There is literally no negative to either scenario. 

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I mean I disagree 100%. Kyle Allen is a big unknown but probably at best he’s Matt Moore 2.0. Heineke is just a camp arm. The Patriots made a habit of developing a quality backup behind Brady and getting value from it. Given Cam’s shoulder problems they need to take a hard look at either bringing in a vet QB that could start in a pinch or invest a draft pick in a backup. At best the drafted QB never plays and gets traded, at worst that QB gets significant starting time of Cam’s shoulder gives out. There is literally no negative to either scenario. 

I mean for all you know that’s the plan and we’re about to blow something like a second rounder on a QB. (although I think that is highly unlikely)

I don’t think any kind of reliable backup QB will be looked at until after the draft.

This team cannot afford to rely on a rookie DE and FS to be day one starters and produce at an above average level. If they do great, but you still need a backup plan.

Even if it’s after the draft we need to address those positions in free agency.

27 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Lack of attention to the backup QB position has me still concerned. If Cam’s shoulder gives out again it’s going to be a rough season and beyond

That's going to be the case no matter who our backup QB is. There's no one out there who's going to be able to step in and do what Cam does. We could also potentially add a QB in the draft. There's a lot of offseason to go.

Honestly, I'm fine with not addressing the backup QB position. If Cam's shoulder gives out again, it's probably rebuild time anyway. 

Archived