• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So... Compared to one month ago how are you feeling about this season?

Jeremy Igo

seeing as how the backup qb's got pulverized behind the line, not too good.  replaced kalil - had to, got rid of kalil, thank god, but the line still sucks as bad as it did.    where have we improved?   a $6mil tackle?   that's 2nd string money.  the ineptness of coaching and gm'ing has killed cam.  i'm not sure how it's not going to continue.   would love to be pleasantly surprised

The only way I feel better is if Jonah Williams falls to 16 and the Panthers take him. There is still not a left tackle on the roster. Moving a pro bowl caliber right tackle to left so D. Williams can get on the field is stupid. On second thought even if that happened we still have no pass rush whatsoever. This is a 9 win team at best.

We're a 9 to 10 win team (if Cam stats healthy). After the 2020 draft, we can make a serious run to the super bowl if we fill our needs properly. 

I said last year the team had too many question marks and too many old heads. Didn't think we were a playoff team. Then we had the injuries and it crippled us. 

39 minutes ago, Growl said:

I said back in January that the team had a lot of hard choices they had to man up and face regarding coaches, player's, and the QB position.

Predictably though, they've had a routine panthers milquetoast response.     .

The general message the team has sent us is that they believe, with full conviction, that the only problem with last season was Cam's shoulder, and the entirety of the blame is being layed on him. No fears, though! They're also fully convinced it was a one off thing, and no preparations for having to move on have been made, which is predictable given that you have a HC and probably GM who wouldn't be here to draft him should the panthers (unfortunately) need to.

So you feel having a good off season rested completely on what..cutting/trading Cam Newton and signing Nick Foles?

Signing Paradis and re-signing Williams is huge. A month ago doing one of these things looked possible. Both? Impossible! I expect that considering the positive reports about their health as well as Cam's shoulder, the groundwork is there for a good season on offense. People complain about the Smith deal, but it was solid, because not only do we now have a cheap, veteran presence that has been to the mountaintop, it was also key to giving us the security and ability to spend all our draft picks (if we desire) on defense in a decidedly strong defensive draft.

So, yeah, things are looking up.

Honestly? Not much better. The offense wasn't our issue last year, but we have gone and made it better overall with the o line signing of paradise and Williams, but that will all be moot if Cam's shoulder isnt better. We've been in this position before and we are only as good as cam is healthy. We're hearing lip service about how he's working out now but that doesn't really mean anything until TC starts and he can get some actual reps in practice leading up to game days.

The defense has only gotten worse on paper. We dropped numerous vet leaders who will be hard to replace in TD, Adams, and pep, and it looks like we might lose love, our best d lineman last year, as well. I understand the draft is stacked with defensive talent but they will be rookies and I would hate to put all my faith in a rookie turning in a pro bowl year to make our d great. Giant holes still at FS, DE and Nickel. Ron's defense only works if you can get pressure on the QB, and on paper we've only gotten worse St it while neglecting to improve the secondary.

I see an 8-8 team right now with no more vet signings on the d.

Our season hinges on Cam's shoulder and our ability to rush the passer. Nothing of those have changed in the last month. 

I expected the team to take care of the oline issues. 

I'm expecting a defensive heavy draft. 

I don't expect anything from Cam at this point. That is very much wait and see. 

1 hour ago, Growl said:

I said back in January that the team had a lot of hard choices they had to man up and face regarding coaches, player's, and the QB position.

Predictably though, they've had a routine panthers milquetoast response.     .

The general message the team has sent us is that they believe, with full conviction, that the only problem with last season was Cam's shoulder, and the entirety of the blame is being layed on him. No fears, though! They're also fully convinced it was a one off thing, and no preparations for having to move on have been made, which is predictable given that you have a HC and probably GM who wouldn't be here to draft him should the panthers (unfortunately) need to.

It’s pretty clear the team saw OL as a huge weakness last year, has made significant moves to fix it, and has also made it known they will continue to make moves there. 

Cautiously optimistic. Very glad to see the OL holes largely get filled(still need more work in that area) and to have one of the safety spots locked down. A month ago I was very worried at being able to fix all the holes in the roster. I am less worried about it now. I think with a couple of more FA signings and a good draft we will be okay. Not great, but okay.

The two lines were my biggest concern for this offseason. I think it can be said with certainty that our offensive line is in much better shape than it was when the season ended. 

There is still work to be done on the defensive line. If we don’t address the dline in the draft, I’ll be very disappointed 

Archived