• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have had a successful free agency period so far.

Jeremy Igo

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have been much more successful this offseason than I would have ever predicted up to this point. Not every move has been a home run but we shored up the OL and appear to be setting the stage for the draft. 

An awful lot of baseball games are won by regular singles and doubles rather than homeruns. I think MH's strategy so far has been excellent in this second tenure of his. There haven't been any massive overreaches, his drafting has been good to solid and he even got Peppers to come back for a couple of victory laps. 

We do need DE and FS now, more than anything in the draft, possibly a solid TE. I'd ride with our backup QBs as they are. If Cam's shoulder is caput, then having an inexperienced backup could either be a spark, or at least be a quick trip to a high draft pick. 

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not saying you're wrong about Cox or Obada, but how many years was Addison a backup before he got his chance to start? People thought that he was just a rotational piece as well, but he developed into a legit starter for a reason..

Addison was terrific as a 3rd down pass rusher and proved he was worthy of a shot at starting, especially with the work he put in playing the run. Right now, Cox and Obada are no where near that and haven’t shown us much of anything outside of a game or two.

12 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

I don’t know the number, but if traded we would not eat the entire 13 mill cap hit. Also like I said,  if it doesn’t work out, we are off the hook and not sitting there next year with a bad bloated contract. Giving up a late rounder isn’t bad when you consider the money these free agent DEs are getting. I’d take Quinn over a guy like Ziggy Ansah.

Quinn is much better than Cox and Obada and we need a starting DE opposite Mario. There is no guarantee we get one in the draft and it’s slim pickings for free agents.

Edit: Just wanted to add for reference, Dante Fowler had 4 sacks last year and got a 14 million dollar deal from the Rams.

There is no dead money on Quinn's contract after he was traded from the Rams.  I like adding Quinn as well, but only if he is cut.

At one point the Dolphins were considering cutting Quinn. Then he would be worth looking at for the right price. We need a veteran DE to rotate our rookie with while he learns/develops. Teams will also be releasing players as they sign new ones, so there will be plenty of chances to address so more needs. Hurney is doing a great job so far. The old Hurney would have made TD the richest LB in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

There is no dead money on Quinn's contract after he was traded from the Rams.  I like adding Quinn as well, but only if he is cut.

He has a roster bonus or something that is around 2 million so if he is traded his cap hit would be like 10 or 11 million from what I’ve read.

14 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

I don’t know the number, but if traded we would not eat the entire 13 mill cap hit. Also like I said,  if it doesn’t work out, we are off the hook and not sitting there next year with a bad bloated contract. Giving up a late rounder isn’t bad when you consider the money these free agent DEs are getting. I’d take Quinn over a guy like Ziggy Ansah.

Quinn is much better than Cox and Obada and we need a starting DE opposite Mario. There is no guarantee we get one in the draft and it’s slim pickings for free agents.

Edit: Just wanted to add for reference, Dante Fowler had 4 sacks last year and got a 14 million dollar deal from the Rams.

Yeah but that is also not the kind of deal(Fowler) I would want us to sign, either. If we could get out eating around half that cap figure maybe I could see some justification for it. That is still a steep price to pay for what would likely be 3-7 sack production.

I think we could probably dumpster dive and get Quinn's level of production from a mid-level FA. Ideally the stars align and one of the better DE prospects slides to 16.

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but that is also not the kind of deal(Fowler) I would want us to sign, either. If we could get out eating around half that cap figure maybe I could see some justification for it. That is still a steep price to pay for what would likely be 3-7 sack production.

I think we could probably dumpster dive and get Quinn's level of production from a mid-level FA. Ideally the stars align and one of the better DE prospects slides to 16.

Yeah the Fowler deal is asinine but that’s the market right now. 3 to 7 sack guys are getting 10+ million. 10 sack guys are getting 15 to 20.

I 100% want a DE in the first but we can’t rely on him to start. A one year insurance policy (even if it is expensive) for our D line would be a smart move. We got lucky with Peppers taking a hometown deal with us for 2 years. If the D line shits the bed like it did last year we’re in for another long season.

Mario, a FA and a first round edge rusher to bring the heat on 3rd down is what I’m hoping for.

1 hour ago, Eazy-E said:

Searcy should have already been cut as I believe he would save us like 1.5 million. At worst he is the back up SS. He’s never been known for his coverage skills. He also couldn’t tackle last year without getting hurt. Just cut your losses.

Obada and Cox are nothing more than depth. If either one is starting we are fuged. I would love to trade like a 5th or 6th for Quinn. He’s a proven starter who could do well if KK and Poe show up this year. He also is a rental so if he doesn’t work out he won’t  fug up our cap. We still need another DT to replace Love. He and Butler both played a decent amount of snaps. You need more than 3 DTs.

Cockrell has never been known as a nickle back and that position is important in Rivera’s defense. If healthy he will be great depth but we need a Munnerlyn replacement.

A real back up QB would be one who has started more than 1 game in their NFL career. A guy like Josh Mccown, RGIII, Bortles, Fitzpatrick, dare I say Kaepernick would fit the bill.

Cameron Artis Payne is a free agent. I think the only HBs signed are CMC and Elijah hood.

Cutting Kalil would free up a nice chunk of change to help fill some holes. Draft picks are complete unknowns. I’m not going to rely on anyone after round 2 to come in and be a day one starter. One of those first two picks has to be an edge rusher.

The backup QB with a name sounds great, but we do not have 10 million dollars a year to throw at a quality, veteran backup.  Thats why the just resigned Talyor Henikie. Personally I think Kyle Allen is much better than Taylor, but i guess that will come out in the wash.

12 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Yeah the Fowler deal is asinine but that’s the market right now. 3 to 7 sack guys are getting 10+ million. 10 sack guys are getting 15 to 20.

I 100% want a DE in the first but we can’t rely on him to start. A one year insurance policy (even if it is expensive) for our D line would be a smart move. We got lucky with Peppers taking a hometown deal with us for 2 years. If the D line shits the bed like it did last year we’re in for another long season.

Mario, a FA and a first round edge rusher to bring the heat on 3rd down is what I’m hoping for.

Possibly so. I think potentially upgrading our secondary(FS, nickel) will also take some heat off the defense. There is also the potential we will be a lot more multiple next season if these 3-4 rumors are true. Perhaps some of our existing guys will be more effective in those looks. 

If we can pick up a solid pass rusher in free agency, I am all for it. I am just reticent to break the bank or trade much in draft capital for a stop gap guy. Hurney has made some pretty good moves so far, so maybe we do get someone in the near future.

57 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

He has a roster bonus or something that is around 2 million so if he is traded his cap hit would be like 10 or 11 million from what I’ve read.

I see it now.  He does have one but it looks like it's just over 1 mil.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/robert-quinn-7729/

I'd still be hoping for a cut and a much lower cap hit than 11.8 mil to minimize risk.

Archived