• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have had a successful free agency period so far.

Jeremy Igo

Really solid free agency so far.

Get younger - check

Lose dead weight players - check

Shore up offensive line - check

Allows for the Panthers to focus on defense in the draft filled with defensive talent.

So far, so good folks. If Cam's shoulder holds up we may have a shot. 

While Hurney has made some great moves, we still have quite a bit of dead weight and some major holes to fill.

We still need two DEs, a DT, nickle CB, starting FS, O line depth, backup RB, legitimate back up QB, and maybe a wide receiver over 6ft tall. 

Am I forgetting anything?

Signing a FS and DE before the draft is crucial imo.

11 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

While Hurney has made some great moves, we still have quite a bit of dead weight and some major holes to fill.

We still need two DEs, a DT, nickle CB, starting FS, O line depth, backup RB, legitimate back up QB, and maybe a wide receiver over 6ft tall. 

RB.

I think we will know all we need  to  know  about MH for now if he cuts  Kalil.   Ron needs to stay out of it.

1 hour ago, Eazy-E said:

Not saying that I wouldn't like the Panthers to do these things because it would be great, but I have a slightly different perspective. The first thing of course is that there is limited money, and not necessarily a lot of good options.

Now there are some good options at Safety still. We may just have to play the waiting game and see who is left after all the dust settles, but they'll likely be better than what we have. Moreover, Searcy (no matter what the Negative Nancy says) is at least average if not above average and was playing Free Safety before he was hurt.

As for DE, it is now time for Obada and/or Cox Jr. to piss or get off the pot. Both have shown a flash or two. Trading a sixth or even possibly a 5th for Ogbah would also add to the mix. Quinn is the only other Edge guy I see us being able to.afford.

Like Obada and Cox, it is now time for Butler to prove his worth. Though he appears to be a bust, he still has NFL level talent and could be a great rotational piece. And although most have given up on Poe, I haven't. He looked off last year, but perhaps another offseason will get him going. He still eats up space, if nothing else. 

I think that people have forgotten about Cockrell, but he was an above average corner, who if healthy can provide us some flexibility in the defensive backfield.

As for a QB, a "legit backup" is a matter of definition. Although I want better, we may already have two "legit backup QBs" on the roster. Moreover, all Artis-Payne does is his job when he backs up C-mac.

So yeah, don't get me wrong, I would like upgrades galore, but theses upgrades will likely have to come from the draft.

47 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not saying that I wouldn't like the Panthers to do these things because it would be great, but I have a slightly different perspective. The first thing of course is that there is limited money, and not necessarily a lot of good options.

Now there are some good options at Safety still. We may just have to play the waiting game and see who is left after all the dust settles, but they'll likely be better than what we have. Moreover, Searcy (no matter what the Negative Nancy days) is at least average if not above average and was playing Free Safety before he was hurt.

As for DE, it is now time for Obada and/or Cox Jr. to piss or get off the pot. Both have shown a flash or two. Trading a sixth or even possibly a 5th for Ogbah would also add to the mix. Quinn is the only other Edge guy I see us being able to.afford.

Like Obada and Cox, it is now time for Butler to prove his worth. Though he appears to be a bust, he still has NFL level talent and could be a great rotational piece. And although most have given up on Poe, I haven't. He looked off last year, but perhaps another offseason will get him going. He still eats up space, if nothing else. 

I think that people have forgotten about Cockrell, but he was an above average corner, who if healthy can provide us some flexibility in the defensive backfield.

As for a QB, a "legit backup" is a matter of definition. Although I want better, we may already have two "legit backup QBs" on the roster. Moreover, all Artis-Payne does is his job when he backs up C-mac.

So yeah, don't get me wrong, I would like upgrades galore, but theses upgrades will likely have to come from the draft.

Searcy should have already been cut as I believe he would save us like 1.5 million. At worst he is the back up SS. He’s never been known for his coverage skills. He also couldn’t tackle last year without getting hurt. Just cut your losses.

Obada and Cox are nothing more than depth. If either one is starting we are fuged. I would love to trade like a 5th or 6th for Quinn. He’s a proven starter who could do well if KK and Poe show up this year. He also is a rental so if he doesn’t work out he won’t  fug up our cap. We still need another DT to replace Love. He and Butler both played a decent amount of snaps. You need more than 3 DTs.

Cockrell has never been known as a nickle back and that position is important in Rivera’s defense. If healthy he will be great depth but we need a Munnerlyn replacement.

A real back up QB would be one who has started more than 1 game in their NFL career. A guy like Josh Mccown, RGIII, Bortles, Fitzpatrick, dare I say Kaepernick would fit the bill.

Cameron Artis Payne is a free agent. I think the only HBs signed are CMC and Elijah hood.

Cutting Kalil would free up a nice chunk of change to help fill some holes. Draft picks are complete unknowns. I’m not going to rely on anyone after round 2 to come in and be a day one starter. One of those first two picks has to be an edge rusher.

6 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Obada and Cox are nothing more than depth. If either one is starting we are fuged. I would love to trade like a 5th or 6th for Quinn. He’s a proven starter who could do well if KK and Poe show up this year. He also is a rental so if he doesn’t work out he won’t  fug up our cap. We still need another DT to replace Love. He and Butler both played a decent amount of snaps. You need more than 3 DTs.

Quinn is on the last year of a deal that has a $13 mil cap figure. Why would we want to trade for that? He will be openly available as a free agent next season. Furthermore, although he has had some stellar seasons, he has been paid $50 mil over the past four seasons to produce a mere 24 sacks. I think we can do a lot better than that.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Really solid free agency so far.

Get younger - check

Lose dead weight players - check

Shore up offensive line - check

Allows for the Panthers to focus on defense in the draft filled with defensive talent.

So far, so good folks. If Cam's shoulder holds up we may have a shot. 

MK is still with us

23 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Searcy should have already been cut as I believe he would save us like 1.5 million. At worst he is the back up SS. He’s never been known for his coverage skills. He also couldn’t tackle last year without getting hurt. Just cut your losses.

Cockrell has never been known as a nickle back and that position is important in Rivera’s defense. If healthy he will be great depth but we need a Munnerlyn replacement.

A real back up QB would be one who has started more than 1 game in their NFL career. A guy like Josh Mccown, RGIII, Bortles, Fitzpatrick, dare I say Kaepernick would fit the bill.

Searcy has been average to slightly above throughout  his career. Sure his first year or so was rocky in coverage, but by the time he got to the Titans, he had respectable skills. The value is there if we choose to keep him.

I know that Cockrell isn't known as a nickel back, but there are people who think that Jackson may be a beast playing the nickel. 

Not saying you're wrong about Cox or Obada, but how many years was Addison a backup before he got his chance to start? People thought that he was just a rotational piece as well, but he developed into a legit starter for a reason.

Not saying you're wrong, but there's always more ways to look at things, and team building on a budget has to be done thoughtfully and while seeing the big picture. Moreover, sometimes you have to wait and let opportunities arise. In the meantime, you have to CYA the best way you can.

All that being said, I fully expect more moves before the draft.

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Quinn is on the last year of a deal that has a $13 mil cap figure. Why would we want to trade for that? He will be openly available as a free agent next season. Furthermore, although he has had some stellar seasons, he has been paid $50 mil over the past four seasons to produce a mere 24 sacks. I think we can do a lot better than that.

I don’t know the number, but if traded we would not eat the entire 13 mill cap hit. Also like I said,  if it doesn’t work out, we are off the hook and not sitting there next year with a bad bloated contract. Giving up a late rounder isn’t bad when you consider the money these free agent DEs are getting. I’d take Quinn over a guy like Ziggy Ansah.

Quinn is much better than Cox and Obada and we need a starting DE opposite Mario. There is no guarantee we get one in the draft and it’s slim pickings for free agents.

Edit: Just wanted to add for reference, Dante Fowler had 4 sacks last year and got a 14 million dollar deal from the Rams.

Archived