• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the best case scenerio for the Panthers this season?

Jeremy Igo

Am I the only one who thinks DE is the bigger hole? We 'survived' on offense with a statue on the left side who was signed off the streets. We literally have no one good at DE and our defense lost us several games last year. If a top 2 OT is on the board I'm fine with it at 16. Anything else then we need to go d-line, no questions asked.

33 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Cam's health is paramount. We are taking the right steps to ensure he takes less hits. Paradis is definitely an upgrade over what Ryan was last year. 

Something not mentioned in your post @Jeremy Igo that I believe is very important for us is finding a quality LG. I'd wager if we do end up drafting a tackle, he might start at LG for us this year while we wait for Kalil's deal to come off the books. 

LG fell off whenever Ryan Kalil was not playing. Having a stud center makes things so much easier on the guards. I think we are fine. 

I am starting to  think  that  our first round pick will be an OT (Ford or Little) in the first.  I  think both are solid picks and OT is  very weak.   If Ferrell and Gary are gone, I see this as a smart move.

DTs look like they might go early as well.  I could see us taking a DT in the second  round.

DE in the third?  Not ideal.  Lets see what we do in free agency.\

TO ANSWER THE QUESTION:

This draft will not have as much impact on this season as last year's will.  Jackson, Moore, and Thomas will be  better. If Gaulden does anything, that is a good draft.  I would not rule out Carter and Smith either.   I see us doing well if we can get a pass rusher  and one more starting OL.  Of course, I have no idea what the DT situation will be based on the D  we run.

Super Bowl. What else would any fan say really? We have the potential and it's not like this team needed a complete overhaul. Aside from the offensive line the offense, personnel wise, is fine. The defense needs to be shored up pretty badly along the front seven and FS. Nothing the draft and some key FAs that don't necessary have to break the bank to be role players can't fix.

Signing Paradis is a huge move by Hurney. I’m actually feeling decent about the oline

LT, LG, Paradis, Turner, Moton

let Larsen and Van Roten battle it out for the LG. 

LT was always going to be a issue with Kalil’s contract. Really all we can hope for is that he can step in and play better than Clark did last year. If he can’t, we find someone like Clark and have the same scenario As last year. 

The whole season, in my opinion comes down to two factors:

1.  Can Cam return to form and stay healthy. 

2.  Can we generate a pass rush from the front four. 

If the answer to either of those questions are no, we are not going anywhere this year. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Realistically the best case scenario for the 2019 Carolina Panthers

1. Cam Newton's shoulder holds up.

Far and away the most important thing that could happen to the Panthers this season. If Cam's shoulder goes again, its over.

4. KK Short gets motivated again.

If Short can summon up the stuff he had a few seasons ago it will pay dividends in every aspect of the defense. His play has been in serious decline and he has been relatively healthy. Not good news for someone making so much dough.

Numbers 1 and 4 are the most important points. If KK can return to form, it means that Poe is doing his job better which will matriculate throughout the defense (trick-up defensenomics). If Cam's shoulder is anywhere near where it was in the second half of 2018, the Panthers must sit him. While a 75% Cam is better than the next option, Cam with a bum shoulder is closer to 50% and Kyle Allen or Heinicke would still give us as good of a shot at winning. 

The deep ball is what makes Turner's offense work and we can't have another 6 game stretch where Cam can't throw the ball 30 yards; particularly with Samuel and Moore as the starting receivers. 

The best case scenario for the 2019 Panther's is the following:

1. Cam's Shoulder is 100% Healthy. No dinks, no tweaks, nothing.
  2. We draft a foundational tackle with the 16th pick. We have gone against doing this in the first round for many years and it's time to stop it. We must protect Cam at ALL COST. As evident by all 3 of our quarterbacks suffering season ending injuries, this is by far the most obvious need moving forward as an organization and for getting the most out of the rest of Cam's Career.
  3. We get lucky and find a quality defensive lineman in the 2nd round or a sleeper in FA. Unlikely, but we must try
  4. DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel emerge as one of the top wide receiver duos in the league. In combination with CMC. Very possible.
  5. KK finds himself
  6. Get rid of Grahm Gano.
  7. We find a serviceable safety under the age of 34.

3 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

Something needs to change, that's for sure. Remember when Luke and TD would press the A gap and cause all sorts of habits? Most teams remember and schemed for it effectively. Haven't seen that A gap pressure in some time. The truth is, the Panthers scheme is well-scouted and effectively game planned, particularly by the NFC South. I have no doubt the defense is rooted in a scheme drawn up by Rivera and modified, at some points, by the various DCs that have passed through. As I said, something needs to change. 

Yeah just looked at how the Saints scored at will against us last year.

Archived