• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the best case scenerio for the Panthers this season?

Jeremy Igo

Realistically the best case scenario for the 2019 Carolina Panthers

1. Cam Newton's shoulder holds up.

Far and away the most important thing that could happen to the Panthers this season. If Cam's shoulder goes again, its over.

2. Find or draft an adequate defensive end.

Currently Addison is the only NFL starting caliber defensive end on the team. They must find another.

3. Find or draft an adequate offensive tackle.

If Kalil starts at left tackle this year, something went wrong. Options include drafting a stud or signing a marginal player which would be an upgrade. Also, I am interested in seeing Moton at LT this spring. He will likely get plenty of looks there. So much easier finding an adequate RT than LT.

4. KK Short gets motivated again.

If Short can summon up the stuff he had a few seasons ago it will pay dividends in every aspect of the defense. His play has been in serious decline and he has been relatively healthy. Not good news for someone making so much dough.

Sure, lots of other positive things could happen, but if these 4 fundamental things transpire I believe the Panthers could be a playoff team again.

1. Shoulder holds up

2. Find that DE

3. KK gets motivated 

4. OT in that order 

Cam's shoulder is important not only for next year but going forward

Finding the DE just because without one we have nothing

KK has been a big reasoning of our defensive success the last few seasons

OT is important, but a Healthy Cam has been solid behind a subpar LT, especially if the rest of the OL is solid.  

We havnt done great when the DL has been terrible

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Realistically the best case scenario for the 2019 Carolina Panthers

4. KK Short gets motivated again.

If Short can summon up the stuff he had a few seasons ago it will pay dividends in every aspect of the defense. His play has been in serious decline and he has been relatively healthy. Not good news for someone making so much dough.

The other three talking points have some fairly binary resolutions to them, but this one...

I'm not sure where KK is going to get the motivation this year. Most of the veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball is gone. Who is going to be the leader who will call KK out when he doesn't show the stuff he had a couple of years back. It certainly won't be Poe. Reid *might* be the guy, but has he been around long enough to take such a role? Kuechly is a leader by example, not necessarily by getting in someone's face.

Couple that with the fact that the defense, for all it's warts, hasn't really changed. Same personnel with maybe a few new wrinkles, but Washington is still the de facto defensive coordinator. 

I'm more concerned about the DLine now than ever and do not think this point is going to be answered satisfactorily, but I'm not sure what the Panthers could do to change this.

5 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

The other three talking points have some fairly binary resolutions to them, but this one...

I'm not sure where KK is going to get the motivation this year. Most of the veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball is gone. Who is going to be the leader who will call KK out when he doesn't show the stuff he had a couple of years back. It certainly won't be Poe. Reid *might* be the guy, but has he been around long enough to take such a role? Kuechly is a leader by example, not necessarily by getting in someone's face.

Couple that with the fact that the defense, for all it's warts, hasn't really changed. Same personnel with maybe a few new wrinkles, but Washington is still the de facto defensive coordinator. 

I'm more concerned about the DLine now than ever and do not think this point is going to be answered satisfactorily, but I'm not sure what the Panthers could do to change this.

Luke goes ape poo. He has no issue getting on people.  I think you will see more with TD gone.

It all takes a back seat to Cam's recovery. Had Cam's arm survived the Pittsburgh game (and it was weak before then, but serviceable), this past season would have turned out very differently.

In 2018 we found: a world-class running back, two game changing receivers, the other DB that we were really needing, a hard-hitting safety and an outstanding OT who was great at RT and might be great at LT. We also saw our kicker win a game with an NFL record-tying kick and a special teams unit that was better on kick and punt coverage than we've seen in years. We also caught glimpses of a pretty good, young TE and some dynamic play calling from our new OC.

That's a lot of huge pluses to carry into the 2019 season. Sure, we have holes to fill, but every team does at this time of year. A good draft class can go a long way towards fixing that.

But man, it all depends on Cam's shoulder. One shoulder.

That's how tough it is to win in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, bull123 said:

KK and Poe went south when they lost Washington and had hoke as coach...this is on Rivera...he fixed it, but was way too late

put a couple of high energy rookies on that DL at the ends and we are good to go

Yes, I've got to agree here. Washington wasn't ready for DC and the DL sure wasn't ready to lose him. Maybe if RR keeps his hand on the wheel for a while, Washington will grow into the role. 

Sucks to have lost two good DCs two years running and it may have been Washington just needed more experience. I hope that's the case. 

More than anything, we need some aggression from the defense, something that had been the hallmark of RR's teams up until now, heck it has been a Panther identity thing throughout our history. 

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Yes, I've got to agree here. Washington wasn't ready for DC and the DL sure wasn't ready to lose him. Maybe if RR keeps his hand on the wheel for a while, Washington will grow into the role. 

Sucks to have lost two good DCs two years running and it may have been Washington just needed more experience. I hope that's the case. 

More than anything, we need some aggression from the defense, something that had been the hallmark of RR's teams up until now, heck it has been a Panther identity thing throughout our history. 

Something needs to change, that's for sure. Remember when Luke and TD would press the A gap and cause all sorts of habits? Most teams remember and schemed for it effectively. Haven't seen that A gap pressure in some time. The truth is, the Panthers scheme is well-scouted and effectively game planned, particularly by the NFC South. I have no doubt the defense is rooted in a scheme drawn up by Rivera and modified, at some points, by the various DCs that have passed through. As I said, something needs to change. 

Cam's health is paramount. We are taking the right steps to ensure he takes less hits. Paradis is definitely an upgrade over what Ryan was last year. 

Something not mentioned in your post @Jeremy Igo that I believe is very important for us is finding a quality LG. I'd wager if we do end up drafting a tackle, he might start at LG for us this year while we wait for Kalil's deal to come off the books. 

Basically the Panthers are in a spot where we need a quality offensive lineman at the tackle or guard position AND a quality defensive end. So if we miss on either or both of our first two picks we're pretty much fuged. 

Archived