• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bye Bye Love

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Sad, but ultimately inconsequential...  our issues on the DL begin and start with overpaying and underperforming Short (and to a lesser degree, Poe).  We can't fix that by overpaying an overachiever. 

Disagree. This one kinda hurts.

I know Rivera tends to overvalue "try hard" guys, but Love is one who was worth it. Those lesser paid guys who actually contribute to winning are gold.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Disagree. This one kinda hurts.

I know Rivera tends to overvalue "try hard" guys, but Love is one who was worth it. Those lesser paid guys who actually contribute to winning are gold.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Most "hard workers" aren't worth their contract but Love was one of the few players who worked really hard and had just enough talent to be successful.

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

We need to cut that dead weight and then roll it over. We have no buffer for comp picks so we aren’t signing anyone but we can’t roll over a handful of millions. Dump Kalil, Smith and Searcy as a start and roll over $20+ for next year. 

As time goes by, it seems more and more like the Panthers are facing a rebuilding year in 2019.  If that is the case, they should definitely be dumping these bloated contracts to underperforming players.

11 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

The fug is wrong with trai? We got lucky to have both Norwell and Turner in the same line. You weren't going to keep both of them. I don't understand why Gettleman gets so much poo for this. 

If he made no effort to extend a n UDFA before he was the top FA at his position he should get blame. Should have been easy to extend him when he was making UDFA money around 2016 with a good but reasonable contract prior to him realizing he could make a killing leaving. I think he was pissed about this.

31 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

If he made no effort to extend a n UDFA before he was the top FA at his position he should get blame. Should have been easy to extend him when he was making UDFA money around 2016 with a good but reasonable contract prior to him realizing he could make a killing leaving. I think he was pissed about this.

Remind me with what money he was supposed to do that when he was cap strapped most of his tenure here. You can't sign everyone and he made the decisions to keep whomever was kept. I clearly remember having to pay Luke, Cam, Olsen, KK, Trai, etc. Norwell wasn't going to take a discount so what exactly is gettleman to blame for? You're not going to have an all star line with so many all pros and expect to keep them all. It's not how it works. About the only thing I blame Gman for now is signing Matt Kalil instead of Witworth. I tried giving him a chance and defended it for a while. Now looking at the body of work.. it was a huge mistake... Makes me wonder sometimes how much influence Ryan had on this signing. But oh well. It's over and done. Hurney dog needs to just cut him and save money. Even that is still in limbo. 

16 hours ago, Pantha-kun said:

The worst thing he could do is overpay FAs with almost no cap to work with imo. Especially because it seems like they are keeping kalil,  torrey, and shaq. We need to somehow get out of being cap strapped every offseason

It wouldn't surprise me if this is what the Panthers are trying to do. The contracts for Torrey Smith, Shaq Thompson and Vernon Butler will come off the books after this season. Kalil will probably stick around this year but his contract should be easier to take off the books next season. This should open up plenty of cap room in 2020.

Kyle Love deserves to get paid. He played well. 

But this is exactly the kind of deal you can't make as the Panthers. We can't keep overpaying average players to tread water and fug our future cap

Panther fans: "Wahhh why don't we ever make any big splashes in free agency???"

After we sign a few big name free agents that don't pan out (Short, Poe, Kalil): "Why don't we have any money?? Why did we sign those guys????" 

Remarkable, really. 

There's a reason why top spenders in free agency rarely make the playoffs. Say what you want about G-man's drafting, he was dam good at filling the roster with inexpensive, adequate talent. Hurney should try it sometime. 

53 minutes ago, Snake said:

Lol people we only have a few draft picks and holes everywhere. I would say Center,DE,RT,FS,and LB trumps DT. We will pick up another scrub.

Yes we have a lot of holes to fill. We do every year as do most teams. But if we start letting good players from other positions walk and not sign them we are creating more holes every year. Which will keep us in cap hell because it's hard to manage the cap that way. And 6 draft picks is more than a few btw. 

Archived