• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just an opinion...

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Are you lost?

If this isn’t proof that our fanbase has become a herd of sheep, mindlessly reciting the favorite talking points of the Huddle’s masses, then I don’t know what is. This is akin to politicians going into a debate with a list of talking points and sticking to it, despite what is actually relevant to the discussion. Ironic, considering that politics are banned from discussion in here but these boards have become the embodiment of the absolute worst parts of partisan politics.

32 minutes ago, Dex said:

I disagree. Look at Matthew Slater. Some players are worth their one dimensional limitations. Not saying it should be the standard but having one special teams ace that can be an emergency back up is fine with me.

Right. The Saints re-signed 29 year old Chris Banjo to a 3 year $9 million dollar deal over the weekend. There are exceptions 

I disagree with you Jeremy.

Some guys carve their role out in ST and are darn good at it, and therefor an asset to the team. With how piss-poor our ST has been for years before Blackburn took over, I'm willing to allocate a few million to the truly good STers and then fill the rest of the ST roles with the young up and coming hungry guys. Those contracts aren't going to kill us in the long run because they are generally structured without a ton of guaranteed money and incentives built in. 

The Poe's, Kalils, and Smith contracts are the troubling ones. 

Just now, hepcat said:

Rivera has been average at best at developing young players so he tends to hang on to veterans past their prime contribution ages. Colin Jones is now a shining example of that failure. 

We knew exactly what Colin Jones was when we traded for him and he's been good at what we he was acquired for. Your statement may be true but using Colin is a bad example.

8 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I disagree with you Jeremy.

Some guys carve their role out in ST and are darn good at it, and therefor an asset to the team. With how piss-poor our ST has been for years before Blackburn took over, I'm willing to allocate a few million to the truly good STers and then fill the rest of the ST roles with the young up and coming hungry guys. Those contracts aren't going to kill us in the long run because they are generally structured without a ton of guaranteed money and incentives built in. 

The Poe's, Kalils, and Smith contracts are the troubling ones. 

This 100%.

Special teams isn't sexy, but it is important. We aren't fielding first stringers on special teams for the most part, so it is going to be filled with young players, bubble players and hopefully a few vets that really have a feel for the special teams game. If you cut a guy like Jones because he isn't starter material on defense, your defense doesn't get better, but your special teams will definitely get worse. 

People seem to hold Jones in the same crappy regard as they did Brenton Bersin and it boils down to this: that's not a star player, so he sucks and is a waste of space on the roster. The truth is that those two, and others on the team, are the lunchpail guys that come in and do their jobs and have maybe one thing they can be relied upon explicitly to do right. Bersin could get you a first down in traffic and take a shot without dropping the ball; he couldn't get YAC, but he could make that one catch and he was willing to play special teams. Jones is willing to play special teams and run headlong at the other team in an effort to collide with the ball carrier; he's a fair to middlin' back up safety who can be a coverage liability, but he's still willing to get stuck in there on special teams and can lead that unit pretty well.

There's such a fetishism on this board of micro-critiquing or micro-hyping guys who are low on the depth charts. Everyone has their favorites to pick on or to declare as the superstar who is being held back by biased coaches. It's all just bullsh!t, though.

A good team has one, maybe two potential HoFers (I think we currently have three on the roster between Cam, Luke and Olsen), a small handful of stars, a few aging vets and some up and comers. The rest of the roster, if you are really lucky, are a bunch of guys who believe in the system, will play their hearts out and come to work every day while never getting their names called on TV broadcasts. If you're unlucky, you've got a bunch of castoffs or unmotivated guys who are just trying to get their paychecks cashed, avoid injury and looking for another round of camp visits as free agents.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If a player has proven himself only ever to be a special teams player and not good enough for defense or offense, he has proven he is a waste of a roster spot.

Special teams should be filled with guys that play well and show the potential to play offense or defense eventually.

Disagree. Pats have forever had dedicated ST guys, particularly Matt Slater, and that’s been a huge part of their success. You can argue Colin Jones or others we’ve had are not that good on ST but if we had someone like a Slater who only plays ST but is elite at it that is well worth a roster spot and even a relative payday.

Archived