• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Bortles as backup.

top dawg

18 minutes ago, t96 said:

Ok but we've seen enough from Bortles over the years. Outside of one season he's shown he can't even win with an elite defense and great wide receivers. An unknown who may suck but may be okay is way better than someone we know sucks.

"Great" wide receivers? Remember, his receivers couldn't stay on the field. 

The main reason that I asked this question is because of this:

"There’s no question Bortles deserves much of the criticism for the Jaguars return to irrelevance this season. And, believe me, I get the fact that he’s been maddeningly inconsistent during his five seasons in Jacksonville. He’s 24-48 as a starter, he’s not an accurate passer and he’s been a turnover machine throughout his career with 74 interceptions and 19 lost fumbles in 73 games.

Still, I blame the Jaguars for Bortles becoming the train wreck he has become. This is what happens when you draft a young quarterback into a bad organization. If no-nonsense Tom Coughlin had been in charge of the Jags when Bortles was drafted, I firmly believe Blake would be a winning quarterback today.

Instead, Bortles was drafted by the previous Jaguars regime and played for one of the worst organizations in football. He’s been beaten up and criticized for so long that his confidence appears to be shot.

Bortles has been through three different offensive coordinators — four now if you count Hackett’s firing and the promotion of Scott Milanovich — during his five years in Jacksonville. He played for Gus Bradley, who statistically is the worst head coach in NFLhistory. Upon his dismissal, Bradley was 14-48 and had the worst winning percentage (.223) of any NFL coach who has coached at least 60 games.

In addition, Bortles’ offensive line has stunk for much of his time in Jacksonville, his receivers have been pedestrian and the running game has been sporadic. Running back Leonard Fournette was drafted in the first round last season, but he has been fragile and injury prone.

And can we talk about how disappointing the Jags’ once-dominant defense has been this season? Bortles is what he is, but the defense has totally fallen apart this season.

Also, let’s not forget that Bortles has been saddled with a bunch of knuckleheads — on and off the field. And, for this, I blame Coughlin and Marrone. This year’s team is clearly undisciplined and badly coached."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-blake-bortles-jaguars-ucf-1129-story,amp.html

Now I know Bortles has had his ups and downs---mostly down, but who's to say that a change of scenery won't do wonders for him? And we are talking about him being nothing more than a backup while being taught presumably by some of the better minds in the game. That's all I was wondering. He was obviously more talented than any of our backups coming out, so I don't think that it's a huge leap to think that he has more to work with, thereby ultimately putting us in a better position to carry on, than they would. That's if he's not irreparably damaged. 

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

If Bortles is as bad as the Huddle says that he is, then he's either headed to the couch, or to the vet minimum.

As for our backups, I simply am anything but sold. Gilbert? That would be like some kind of---I don't know---reverse overkill.

Like I said, there's no growth potential with Bortles and little confidence should he have to come in. Our young guys aren't ready to set the league on fire, and probably won't, but there's still room for their growth along with a low cap hit.

And if we have to, have to get a veteran player, there are others out there that would inspire more confidence than Bortles and at a lesser pay rate. Trust me, someone will overpay for Bortles in the $6-7 million range.

Archived