• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Bortles as backup.

top dawg

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Now before you dismiss the thought out of hand, listen (and hold your nose if you must). This is one of my outside the box thoughts.

Assuming that the rumors are right and the Jags go all-in on and acquire Nick Foles, once they release Blake Bottles (I don't see anyone sane taking on his insane cap number), how would you guys feel about making a run at him as a backup for Cam?  Mind you, he is not the ideal option, but I don't necessarily see any ideal options, but he has plenty of experience being the guy, and he has had a certain amount of success. Perhaps both Turners could help him become more consistent, and Bottles does have some mobility. Perhaps there wouldn't have to be as drastic a change if Cam can't play.

Serious replies are encouraged.

The upside to bortles is that he has started 70+ games. There is an upside to having experience like that and he would be able to step in pretty quickly. But if Cam goes down he doesn't have the resume to suggest he could be a starter for half a season or whatever. He will go somewhere if the Jags get rid of him. Certainly doesn't get me excited.

22 minutes ago, t96 said:

I’m happier with either Allen or Heinicke getting the #2 reps, preferably Allen. And frankly, if Cam isn’t ready would we have a better shot at winning with Bortles than Allen?

Well, I don't know. I do know that I'm not sold on Allen. He hasn't given me any real reason to be comfortable. Very little, pretty much meaningless sample as far as I'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

The upside to bortles is that he has started 70+ games. There is an upside to having experience like that and he would be able to step in pretty quickly. But if Cam goes down he doesn't have the resume to suggest he could be a starter for half a season or whatever. He will go somewhere if the Jags get rid of him. Certainly doesn't get me excited.

Well, to be fair, backups aren't necessarily going to garner excitement when behind franchise guys. Going from a healthy Cam to most is akin to hearing a whoosh out of a balloon (the balloon representing hope and excitement).

Honestly, there's just no upside to Bortles. We saw him at his peak and we saw the climb and rapid fall. He's got some experience, but the skillset doesn't match up. I don't think there's a leadership assist there, either. And then, there's the cost, which will not be vet minimum. 

We'd be better off sticking with our current back-ups, who may still have quite a bit of upside (especially if we can lure Gilbert back) and relatively low price tags, with a year of experience in Norv's system. 

If we have to, have to get a really experienced veteran back-up, I'd give a call to Fitzmagic. He's probably still got some fuel in the tank, he's a great locker room presence and he knows our opponents in the NFC South inside and out by now. He won't be cheap, but he's a better bench rental than Bortles.

Just my opinion, of course.

8 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

And then, there's the cost, which will not be vet minimum. 

If Bortles is as bad as the Huddle says that he is, then he's either headed to the couch, or to the vet minimum.

As for our backups, I simply am anything but sold. Gilbert? That would be like some kind of---I don't know---reverse overkill.

There’s definitely worst. Not everyone has the advantage of having the backup quarterback be Nick Foles with the perfect coaching situation. 

Bortles would be a good backup option, has won some games, was talked about positively in the league, held excitement for Jax when he first came out etc.

26 minutes ago, Trill OG said:

The moment you realize this thread was a bad idea.

No, just because you say this thread was a bad idea doesn't make it so. I don't believe that @Jeremy Igo thinks it was a bad idea. He may think of Bortles in a Panthers uniform as a bad idea, but not the thread. You're going way overboard. There have even been some more thoughtful responses after the first page. That happens a lot.

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

Well, I don't know. I do know that I'm not sold on Allen. He hasn't given me any real reason to be comfortable. Very little, pretty much meaningless sample as far as I'm concerned.

Ok but we've seen enough from Bortles over the years. Outside of one season he's shown he can't even win with an elite defense and great wide receivers. An unknown who may suck but may be okay is way better than someone we know sucks.

Archived