• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jags release Tashaun Gipson

TheCasillas

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

No you can't, but Kalil wasn't due to addressing a need.  They WANTED to sign Ryan's brother.  Bad talent evaluation or loyalty to a tenured player ruined that one.

uh, what? LT was the biggest need by far that year. We didn't have joe thomas and decide "hey lets just sign Ryan's bro"

48 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

uh, what? LT was the biggest need by far that year. We didn't have joe thomas and decide "hey lets just sign Ryan's bro"

I know it was a need as it always was since Gettleman ran Gross off...  my point was who they went after was who they wanted, not who we needed.  They signed him bc of who he was, not what he did.  Otherwise, as frugal as Gettleman was, he xouodve almost signed any other LT available that offseason not named Kalil, and we would be better for it today.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:22 PM, TheCasillas said:

The only reason 49ers put Reid at LB was because they wanted to field the best 11. by moving him to LB they were able to putt Tartt on the field, who the coaching staff coveted. 49ers also had no depth at LB with all of the injuries. This only occurred for a short period in 2017 - I am assuming you are referring to this?

Also here is an excerpt from the ninernation website:

What is unfortunate about this move is that it is primarily a result of injury. (Doesn’t that sound familiar?) Reid had been playing well inside the box and until his injury, had the starting position locked up. Tartt came in, made a strong impression, and ultimately took his spot. The 49ers obviously see Reid’s value and want to keep him on the field, but are making him adjust to another role as a result.

One last thing. The highest paid safety in the league is an in the box safety. He is a strong safety. Actually 3 of the 5 top paid safeties in the league are in the box safety's. 

So yes opinions do vary, and I disagree.

So Reid can play SS, linebacker and if pressed into duty can play free safety. No wonder we signed him long term.. Look at that versatility and he is a very good SS to boot. 

Archived