• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jags release Tashaun Gipson

TheCasillas

14 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Did Reid not just set the safety market value? 

A defense needs a rangy FS while the SS takes the tight end out of the game. What answer are you looking for?

Read? Had Had Had. No one HAD set it yet. As it was plain to see I was speaking of before Reid signed. My whole point and problem is we set the market value. 

And when’s the last time we had a “rangy” Safety? 2013? Since he wins with box Safeties why would he change now? You say we need a rangy safety. I agree. I just think it’s because of who we have at SS.

Adrian Amos/Tre Boston would be perfect as interchangeable Safeties. Both can cover and tackle. Not one limited in one phase of the game. Neither would be considered rangy. And we wouldn’t have LB in single high coverage. 

8 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Damn.  With all these safeties hitting the market did we jump too soon on Reid?  And overpay??

We got in a bidding war with ourselves... every other owner was too racist to sign him. Could’ve signed him 3 years 12m. Instead we paid a guy 3/21 when there’s a loaded S class. And to those saying no SS. Ever heard of Landon Collins? 

But at the end of the day I’d rather slightly over pay for Reid and still have him. Should be above average this year with an offseason under his belt. (Anyone saying he was above average last year is a moron). Torrey Smith on the other hand... 5m bc hes a nice guy. Franchise is just handing out money for free left and right 

People are forgetting no one wanted Eric Reid anyways. That means we could have offered a below market offer and it would probably have been the only offer he’d have gotten, but tepper doesn’t do business like that. He wanted to give Reid a fair offer and so he did. I think Reid was a great signing. No regrets here. This Tepper era is like a breath of fresh air. 

1 minute ago, Chosen Newton said:

People are forgetting no one wanted Eric Reid anyways. That means we could have offered a below market offer and it would probably have been the only offer he’d have gotten, but tepper doesn’t do business like that. He wanted to give Reid a fair offer and so he did. I think Reid was a great signing. No regrets here. This Tepper era is like a breath of fresh air. 

He certainly would have received offers. 

4 minutes ago, Chosen Newton said:

Breath of fresh air? From a football perspective, the Tepper era thus far smells like the same old stale fart. 

5 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I disagree. I mean everyone knew Reid could ball when he was released from the 49ers, yet they didn’t sign him prioritizing his off field politics rather than on field playmaking ability, so what makes you think he would have been sought after now? Maybe after he dropped his case, but even then, a lot of these owners and fan bases still don’t like him, which is why he was left unsigned so long. 

9 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Also can someone give me some stuff on TG? That’s why I originally clicked this topic. Should’ve known it’d just be 2 pages of Eric Reid 

After his first contract with the browns he got a huge pay day with the jags. He was a top 5 safety with the browns. He has experienced some injuries over the last two seasons, but still a strong performer. The jags cut him bc it was an easy decision to make, they immediately get back  6 mil. Jags were in win now mode - so they threw a lot of cash at players and now they are in "get back to winning" mode. So that calls for money to pay a big deal QB likes foles. So yesterday they cut some weight. TG being one of them. I think we should bring him in @ weddle money

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Breath of fresh air? From a football perspective, the Tepper era thus far smells like the same old stale fart. 

Tepper is still a rookie, this is his first free agency, lets wait and see if we're on the same merry go round.

If we can get another safety like Gipson for a decent deal (2-3 mil a year), I think we should do it and it takes one more draft pick we don't have to reach for. If a great FS falls in the 2nd or 3rd, sure jump on it, but don't reach. The fact that the market will have many FS's looking for jobs is good for us. Locking Reid up was a real good move. We didn't break the bank and over pay and yeah maybe we could have got it a few dollars cheaper, but it's still not a bad deal.

1 hour ago, musicman said:

If we can get another safety like Gipson for a decent deal (2-3 mil a year), I think we should do it and it takes one more draft pick we don't have to reach for. If a great FS falls in the 2nd or 3rd, sure jump on it, but don't reach. The fact that the market will have many FS's looking for jobs is good for us. Locking Reid up was a real good move. We didn't break the bank and over pay and yeah maybe we could have got it a few dollars cheaper, but it's still not a bad deal.

Agreed.  One thing Gettleman always said that I agreed with, BUT he never came close to doing until the offseason he was fired, was "Sign your needs in FA, so when you draft, it's BPA."  

I really feel we have the chance to do something special this offseason in that regard.  The market is shaking up nicely for everything except pass rushers...  but, if we could come out of FA with something like Barr, Paradis, Gipson, and help at tackle and on the edge, I would be absolutely ecstatic.  Only thing is...  I have a feeling the only place we'll get the edge rushing help will be the draft because FA hasn't even started and the second-tier rushers are already priority.

12 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Just like he’s did a season ago? Oh wait... he wasn’t signed until the season started. Reid played well in SF and went unsigned bc of his protesting. If owners had a problem with that then, why would they not still have a problem with it a year later? 

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Agreed.  One thing Gettleman always said that I agreed with, BUT he never came close to doing until the offseason he was fired, was "Sign your needs in FA, so when you draft, it's BPA."  

I really feel we have the chance to do something special this offseason in that regard.  The market is shaking up nicely for everything except pass rushers...  but, if we could come out of FA with something like Barr, Paradis, Gipson, and help at tackle and on the edge, I would be absolutely ecstatic.  Only thing is...  I have a feeling the only place we'll get the edge rushing help will be the draft because FA hasn't even started and the second-tier rushers are already priority.

Yeah that’s how we ended up with Matt Kalil. Not a realistic strategy to think you can solve all needs in FA

44 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Yeah that’s how we ended up with Matt Kalil. Not a realistic strategy to think you can solve all needs in FA

No you can't, but Kalil wasn't due to addressing a need.  They WANTED to sign Ryan's brother.  Bad talent evaluation or loyalty to a tenured player ruined that one.

Archived