• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jags release Tashaun Gipson

TheCasillas

2 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Damn.  With all these safeties hitting the market did we jump too soon on Reid?  And overpay??

Yes, which is what I said as soon as the deal was inked. Safeties are plummeting in value across the league. You can get Reid types for peanuts.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes, which is what I said as soon as the deal was inked. Safeties are plummeting in value across the league. You can get Reid types for peanuts.

ESPN (NFL Live) projected Earl Thomas was going to get around 55mil with 22 guaranteed today.

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

ESPN (NFL Live) projected Earl Thomas was going to get around 55mil with 22 guaranteed today.

I'd be surprised, but then again, Thomas is probably the best safety of his generation. If you're going to roll the dice on a guy, that's the type of guy you do it on.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd be surprised, but then again, Thomas is probably the best safety of his generation. If you're going to roll the dice on a guy, that's the type of guy you do it on.

I'll agree here. Him and Berry (maybe consider the honey badger). Amazing they both came out of the same draft.

24 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

The only reason 49ers put Reid at LB was because they wanted to field the best 11. by moving him to LB they were able to putt Tartt on the field, who the coaching staff coveted. 49ers also had no depth at LB with all of the injuries. This only occurred for a short period in 2017 - I am assuming you are referring to this?

Also here is an excerpt from the ninernation website:

What is unfortunate about this move is that it is primarily a result of injury. (Doesn’t that sound familiar?) Reid had been playing well inside the box and until his injury, had the starting position locked up. Tartt came in, made a strong impression, and ultimately took his spot. The 49ers obviously see Reid’s value and want to keep him on the field, but are making him adjust to another role as a result.

One last thing. The highest paid safety in the league is an in the box safety. He is a strong safety. Actually 3 of the 5 top paid safeties in the league are in the box safety's. 

So yes opinions do vary, and I disagree.

First thing on your last thing. Any of those deals signed in the last two years. Sure wasn’t last year. And sure isn’t yet this year. That’s what changing means. I repeatedly said down safety market on a daily basis. 

Who did they move? And I hardly think they are going to come out and say his play caused it. But it was the best. thing that happened to him. 2017 was a good year for him. We made him move backwards and it showed. If you don’t see issues in deep coverage...yep they vary

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

First thing on your last thing. Any of those deals signed in the last two years. Sure wasn’t last year. And sure isn’t yet this year. That’s what changing means. I repeatedly said down safety market on a daily basis. 

Eric Berry

Rashad Jones

Malcom Jenkins

All within the last two years.

If a starting quality safety gets released by the Browns (when they were still really struggling) and the Jags (when they're just screwed again) and can't justify a $7 million salary, maybe, just maybe, he's not that good anymore.

Just sayin' that when you wash out at the bottom of the league like that, it might mean something.

15 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Eric Berry

Rashad Jones

Malcom Jenkins

All within the last two years.

I just said last year and this year. Specifically. The market fell out last year. When the highest given was 7M to a better player than Reid.  

And all those players have extensive time at FS and CB(Jenkins) No coverage limitations. Much different than SS who has to have a rangy safety to help him. Those are your words. If he is good in coverage? Why does he need a rangy FS? Like everyone says when talking about him. SS who are good in coverage don’t have to have a FS to cover for them. 

10 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I just said last year and this year. Specifically. The market fell out last year. When the highest given was 7M to a better player than Reid.  

And all those players have extensive time at FS and CB(Jenkins) No coverage limitations. Much different than SS who has to have a rangy safety to help him. Those are your words. If he is good in coverage? Why does he need a rangy FS? Like everyone says when talking about him. SS who are good in coverage don’t have to have a FS to cover for them. 

I’m sorry man, but I’m not following what you are saying. So we will just agree to disagree. 

I can’t give you this year’s safety numbers because they haven’t happened yet considering free agency hasnt started. However, I will tell you this last year is the only year that safety numbers were down. 

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I’m sorry man, but I’m not following what you are saying. So we will just agree to disagree. 

I can’t give you this year’s safety numbers because they haven’t happened yet considering free agency hasnt started. However, I will tell you this last year is the only year that safety numbers were down. 

And no one had set it yet. So it’s still down. Tre Boston has played as well for peanuts. 

It’s simple, why does a SS who is good in coverage, need a rangy FS. If he’s good in coverage why does he need one to be good? 

And it just started. 

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

And no one had set it yet. So it’s still down. Tre Boston has played as well for peanuts. 

It’s simple, why does a SS who is good in coverage, need a rangy FS. If he’s good in coverage why does he need one to be good? 

And it just started. 

Did Reid not just set the safety market value?  Also, Weddle just set the floor at 6.25mil for safeties... so it appears you are incorrect about Safety pay being down. Last year was an anomaly 

A defense needs a rangy FS while the SS takes the tight end out of the game. What answer are you looking for?

I just went back and read our back and forth, and man you ate your words more than once. I've determined that you are stuck in a way that I do not agree with. At this point let's just move on.

Archived