• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jags release Tashaun Gipson

TheCasillas

I wanted this guy before he left Cleveland for the Jags. Perfect fit for the center field role beside Reid. Thoughts?

Now 28-year-old Gipson is forced to join that flooded market. The good news is he gets a slight jump on the competition and is able to sign right away. Gipson remains a strong cover man on the back end as a centerfield-type. His release saves the Jaguars $7.45 million against the cap.

2 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Damn.  With all these safeties hitting the market did we jump too soon on Reid?  And overpay??

I think Reid was a good pickup because he will move to SS and there isn't any S on the market at his size. Basically another LB.

7 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Damn.  With all these safeties hitting the market did we jump too soon on Reid?  And overpay??

Nah, it was a pretty good deal in our favor. His cap hit is very small this year, under 5. It's only 9 guaranteed so it's essentially a 1 year 9 mill deal with 5 mill in dead money if we decide to get rid of him next offseason. We could still sign some better guys (likely won't knowing us) and have him to bolster our depth or another valuable piece in a hybrid defense like a dime linebacker or something. Can never have too many good safeties like that. 

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Elaborate..... how is this a problem?

He stuggles covering any type of space. And in our “interchangeable”(ugh) Safety DEF, he will once again be lined up single high and getting abused. 

I agree. He’s a LB. And I would have offered him less to play LB. But his ability translates well closer to the line. Not in cover 2 or single high. Not using him right is one of the biggest problems I have. 

And you don’t sign Safeties right now. Let this down market set itself. Box Safeties are very cheap. 

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He stuggles covering any type of space. And in our “interchangeable”(ugh) Safety DEF, he will once again be lined up single high and getting abused. 

I agree. He’s a LB. And I would have offered him less to play LB. But his ability translates well closer to the line. Not in cover 2 or single high. Not using him right is one of the biggest problems I have. 

And you don’t sign Safeties right now. Let this down market set itself. Box Safeties are very cheap. 

True points all around. 

Although I don't think we necessarily overpaid, I agree with everything you said. 

23 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I don’t agree. Our most successful defenses under RR utilized SS in the box. I wouldn’t say he struggled in any type of space either. 

He isn’t a LB, but has the size of one. He will be utltilized correctly this year. Add a range safety beside him and we have a tough back line

55 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I don’t agree. Our most successful defenses under RR utilized SS in the box. I wouldn’t say he struggled in any type of space either. 

He isn’t a LB, but has the size of one. He will be utltilized correctly this year. Add a range safety beside him and we have a tough back line

And those DEFs played with the SS high at times as well. But things actually change in the NFL. There’s a reason box Safeties are cheap. Teams isolate and exploit. SF moved him to LB. Do you do that with someone who is strong in space? 

But hey...opinions vary

35 minutes ago, Toomers said:

And those DEFs played with the SS high at times as well. But things actually change in the NFL. There’s a reason box Safeties are cheap. Teams isolate and exploit. SF moved him to LB. Do you do that with someone who is strong in space? 

But hey...opinions vary

The only reason 49ers put Reid at LB was because they wanted to field the best 11. by moving him to LB they were able to putt Tartt on the field, who the coaching staff coveted. 49ers also had no depth at LB with all of the injuries. This only occurred for a short period in 2017 - I am assuming you are referring to this?

Also here is an excerpt from the ninernation website:

What is unfortunate about this move is that it is primarily a result of injury. (Doesn’t that sound familiar?) Reid had been playing well inside the box and until his injury, had the starting position locked up. Tartt came in, made a strong impression, and ultimately took his spot. The 49ers obviously see Reid’s value and want to keep him on the field, but are making him adjust to another role as a result.

One last thing. The highest paid safety in the league is an in the box safety. He is a strong safety. Actually 3 of the 5 top paid safeties in the league are in the box safety's. 

So yes opinions do vary, and I disagree.

Archived