• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Around the league FA moves

ncfan

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m starting to come to the conclusion that we will be mediocre next year so I’d rather go with rookies and dump Kalil, Smith and Searcy and save as much money as we can. 

I'm starting to feel the same way.

No, I don't believe in spending stupid money like gas been thrown around today, but we desperately needed a starter or two out of FA at a fair price...  but, the market has kind of made that a near impossibility at this point.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

We had a chance If we made cuts. I’m still going to be really pissed if we go frugal but still spend $15m on Kalil, Smith and Searcy. Roll it all over. Kalil will be sitting on his couch in June. Either spend it or save it, but don’t half ass it and think that because starting caliber players sign for $11m that Kalil as a crappy backup is worth $7m. The stars/top couple FAs at each position get paid, but backup speed bumps should get very minimums. 

Who exactly do we cut to make room for a center?  All we do is tie up more money in center, and open up a bigger position of need somewhere else.

Right now, even though Shaq is 9m, for example.  He is completely untouchable.  Have you seen our LB group?  Are we expecting Luke to play all 3-4 spots by himself?  All we have left are some ST'ers that fill in at LB occasionally/rarely.

Even with Kalil, we still need other positions on the line.  If we cut Kalil, and spend even more money on Center..did we really gain anything?  Since now we have to replace Kalil's position with even less cap room.

Your only real argument could be Smith.  And I don't see only his 5m being enough to make us use up our entire cap space on Paradis.

We just aren't in position to go after a big name.  I would rather wait till this initial push happens, things calm down, and we see who is left and get some solid players.  

3 hours ago, bull123 said:

Skins let Jamison Crowder walk

he gets $28m for 3 yrs with the jets...$17m guaranteed 

good to see a local kid make good...even if it’s with the jets

guess the skins need the $$ to pay their new safety

josh gonna be available?

I wish. Time for a free safety switch for him like Hall did. He would be a natural, has the frame, spends most of the time watching the QB, good ball skills. You wouldn’t have to hide him from the shifty type wrs.

3 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Who exactly do we cut to make room for a center?  All we do is tie up more money in center, and open up a bigger position of need somewhere else.

Right now, even though Shaq is 9m, for example.  He is completely untouchable.  Have you seen our LB group?  Are we expecting Luke to play all 3-4 spots by himself?  All we have left are some ST'ers that fill in at LB occasionally/rarely.

Even with Kalil, we still need other positions on the line.  If we cut Kalil, and spend even more money on Center..did we really gain anything?  Since now we have to replace Kalil's position with even less cap room.

Your only real argument could be Smith.  And I don't see only his 5m being enough to make us use up our entire cap space on Paradis.

We just aren't in position to go after a big name.  I would rather wait till this initial push happens, things calm down, and we see who is left and get some solid players.  

I mean this basically nails it, hold on to smith just in case a fa we want is in our price range and if so cut smith then, but as of right now that’s just how things have to go,

21 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Kalil’s position was bench, he wasn’t a starter. Cut him and Morse’s deal is $3.75m this year and you gain a net starter (I prefer Paradis or a S like Weddle, but just an example). We can replace Kalil with post early FA crazy deals.

Right now we need a T and a C. Keeping Kalil doesn’t really mean we filled anything. He sucked when he started and he’ll suck again but with him we couldn’t spend just $3.75 to get a starting C.

If Kalil is being brought back with no intention of starting, I will concede that could have worked.But that is something you can't do unless you know for sure it will work.

The teams beating us right now on Centers..(Bills, Jets, etc)..have a blank check to work with (figuratively, they have so much cap space).  If we had offered that deal to Morse, Bills could have just one upped us, easily.  We offer 11/year.  Bills offer 12.  When you have 70+, you typically get who you want when you are bidding against cap strapped teams.  The only factor would be if Morse, Paradis, whoever *WANT* to play in Charlotte, and we basically end up getting a discount.

Even cutting Kalil I would not want us in an arms race for who will be the person to pay a Center the highest salary in the NFL.  The people getting the top position money are very rarely worth it in the long run.

Archived