• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafting an OT in round 1 is by far our best option.

Jeremy Igo

29 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You really don’t believe he was hurt last year do you?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I didn't think so...figured they were sitting him for injury/money reasons but everything with this dude is strange.

6 hours ago, Icege said:

Likely to be targeted by GB (his home town) in the 4th or 3rd. I would not be upset about picking him up with one of our 3rd round picks!

I'm not sold on Dillard, and I don't think Williams nor Taylor will be there when we pick. Greg Little is booty trash. Dalton Risner in the 2nd if he is somehow still there would be amazing since he could be like Moton and basically be put anywhere on the line.

I'm actually intrigued by this, so I took a quick glance at his NFL Draft prospect page, and the only real negatives (outside of lower stats at the combine, I'm assuming), were all items that sound like they could be coached out of him.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/max-scharping?id=32195343-4808-3616-ff9b-04768d49e58e

Not much of the way of material out there on him though, so not sure what the game tape would say. I did find a more in-depth analysis, but taken with a grain of salt, since it's not a big name site:

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2019-nfl-draft/2018/12/28/draft-preview-northern-illinois-ol-max-scharping/

Edge in the first, S/C/CB in the second, and this guy in the third coming in as a RT, and shifting Moton back to Left side could work for us. It's worth thinking of, provided he sticks at RT, rather than trying to make him the next LT of the future for us. Nice find and thanks for the head's up Icege!

I believe we could do so much better in the first by sticking with a DE there, with less overall risk, and still getting a position of need filled than any other spot on our roster. Especially when you consider that outside of aging Super Mario, we're pretty anemic in our QB sack and pressures as a team. Football outsiders had us at 22nd ranked for defense efficiency (24th when weighted).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Compare that with our offense, who ranked 11th (weighted 12th ranked) even with Cam's bum shoulder and our terrible second half of the season, we seem to be much better off going with the D-Line direction as an immediate fix to help us win more games. But it's also entirely possible that I am reading too much into this, as well, so just an idea.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I didn't think so...figured they were sitting him for injury/money reasons but everything with this dude is strange.

That’s for sure. 

When was the last time anyone missed 2 months for knee soreness.. Then, never any specific. Meanwhile we know everything about any other knee injuries. DW was specific. 

Then, they didn’t bring him back. He tried to practice on the side around week 8. And the Panthers made him stop. The only reason would be to not risk his 7M salary is guaranteed this year. 

We will know this time next week. And unlike Smith, Kalil has to pass a physical which I’m sure is next week. They have to wait on that. 

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s for sure. 

When was the last time anyone missed 2 months for knee soreness.. Then, never any specific. Meanwhile we know everything about any other knee injuries. DW was specific. 

Then, they didn’t bring him back. He tried to practice on the side around week 8. And the Panthers made him stop. The only reason would be to not risk his 7M salary is guaranteed this year. 

We will know this time next week. And unlike Smith, Kalil has to pass a physical which I’m sure is next week. They have to wait on that. 

One of the more confusing players/contracts/situations I have ever seen in the NFL.

And hell, weren't the Vikes trying to match our deal as well?  Just strange.

I gotta disagree. The options that we have at Lt far and away exceed our options at DE. We could experiment with Moton and Williams, heck even a few free agents, worst case scenario is Matt is back on action which isn’t good. But look over at Defensive end... Mario is there even he isn’t an elite pass rusher, after that there is literally no one. 

The run on pass rushers will come fast and furuious starting with bosa, Sweat, Gary, Allen and so on. Elite pass rushers don’t hit free agency so your better off trying to find a decent tackle option than finding a pass rush. But if I had to take a tackle I would take Dillard.

I believe Dillard, Williams, and Taylor are worthy of being 16. Sure there are questions- arm length, play only RT, no run blocking. Every one of those can be fixed via coaching. If you could coach up Dillards run blocking, he has the biggest upside. Taylor has the best body/size, basically a bigger DJ Humphries. Oooooo if only Williams had .000058028840 longer arm length, he does not have Murphys' Stubs.   

48 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Say Taylor is there at 16 (and Williams isn't). Do you grab him and let him and Moton compete for LT? I think that Moton could be pretty good there, and he practiced it last preseason until DW went down. My preference, though would be to keep him at RT where I KNOW he's good.

Yes.....well......depends.

Im still taking the top edge rusher the Sweat's, Burn's, etc.  

I disagree with Igo on this. The Money and scheming excuse can be used as well with edge rushers.  You can scheme offenses  with not so great LT as you can a D with Terrible pass rushers.  We litterally spent the whole last offseason talking excited because people complained Shula was terrible at this.  The Money.  Top edge rushers if they even hit the market (see all the tags this year). Top edge  rushers are making about QB $$$$  while above avg guys are making top OT money.

Back to the original question.

If Taylor is there, I Do draft him at 16 as long as the edge guys and Williams are off the board.

And I do keep him on the Right side.  He's just a natural RT, a big mauler kinda of like Otah or Jwaun James in Miami.  Moton, while a small sample size, has shown he can play the LT.

For those salivating for Williams to fall to 16, are there no concerns with his length and ability to stick at LT? Almost every expert has him moving to guard in the NFL to maximize his talents. Not to mention, Alabama wanted to move him to center last year. If he was such a sure fire LT, I doubt that would have even been in consideration...

19 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

For those salivating for Williams to fall to 16, are there no concerns with his length and ability to stick at LT? Almost every expert has him moving to guard in the NFL to maximize his talents. Not to mention, Alabama wanted to move him to center last year. If he was such a sure fire LT, I doubt that would have even been in consideration...

Some people are but let them.  I see no problem with the length.

For example

Jonah Williams arms were at 33 5/8

Joe Thomas's were 33 3/4

Jordan Gross 33 1/4

Jake Matthew's 33 3/8

Taylor Lewan 33 7/8

Joe Staley 33 1/2

But lets keep saying he's not long enough so he can fall

19 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Some people are but let them.  I see no problem with the length.

For example

Jonah Williams arms were at 33 5/8

Joe Thomas's were 33 3/4

Jordan Gross 33 1/4

Jake Matthew's 33 3/8

Taylor Lewan 33 7/8

Joe Staley 33 1/2

But lets keep saying he's not long enough so he can fall

The more I watch this draft develop it seems like Jonah is falling.  I would love him.  It’s all probably smokescreens because teams want him. 

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I defended Kalil until the aftermath of his very minor knee surgery. He is the worst type of player to have on any team. He was taking social media heat and found an out via scope. I've seen plenty of players come back in days, max two weeks on others. He let down all his teammates and hide behind a simple scope. He's the type of guy if a fight breaks out, hed fake an injury and curl up on the ground without getting touched. Can not believe there is even a discussion about keeping his candy@ss on the roster. Flush the turd!!

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

IMO, you draft bpa at a position of need.  Hopefully the best player available is a DE or a Tackle.  

If your choice is between a first rate linebacker and a second rate tackle, do you still take the tackle?

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If your choice is between a first rate linebacker and a second rate tackle, do you still take the tackle?

Understand that I have a wider definition of position of need than most.  And the choice is rarely that black and white.  

That being said, depends on the circumstances.  If I have a good young group of 3 or 4 starting linebackers,  and I am desperately short of tackles, I take the tackle.   If I have two good young linebackers, and one average guy, I might take the linebacker.  Or maybe I take the defensive end who is rated a little higher than the tackle, but a little lower than the lb.

15 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Pray that one of the top two OT prospects fall to 16 in the draft. It is by far our best case scenerio for this year and the years to come. Take a look around at the money they are getting currently. There is no way the Panthers could afford a decent free agent this season. Drafting a 5 year starter on the relative cheap is the way to go. 

Yes, defensive end is a priority, but there are far more strategic options in pressuring a QB with average defensive ends than protecting a QB with a horrible left tackle. 

In short, please for the love of all that is holy draft a LT. 

Love,

JI

yes...and would love to see 2 drafted...

Archived