• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafting an OT in round 1 is by far our best option.

Jeremy Igo

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Feels like this is so often the case with roster moves and depth chart decisions with the Panthers. I had really hoped this poo would change under Tepper, but so far it looks like the same old same old under him on the football side of the house.

Not one person here will know what ideas Tepper has until draft draws closer. He may be involved in who to draft and what positions to be filled first. Hopefully the players picked up aren't projects either.

7 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Good enough for someone to vastly overpay for him-sure. But apparently not so good that NE want to overpay for him. This is a guy that NE acquired in the 49ers trade up for Tarvarius Moore. Who? All I’m saying is Brown was a 7th. Moton wasn’t talked up when he came out. It is possible to get a very good tackle who isn’t the first to come off the board and not only through the draft. I wanted Ramzyck (taken in the late 20s by NO) the year we took CMC. Not saying CMC wasn’t a great pick but they got a franchise LT while we spent a high first rounder on an RB...

NE rarely uses the tag except on Ks. Didn’t on Flowers. They usually trade them before this. Plus they have his replacement waiting in last years 1st rounder Isaiah Wynn. That’s the main thing. 

And your pick is a RT. Not a franchise LT. And he is nowhere near as valuable as CMC. 

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Armstead is their LT. Ramzyck is their RT. I’d much rather have McCaffery. Having Ramzyck wouldn’t make our offense better than having McCaffery. No chance. Play Moton at LT and draft a RT at 47 or in the 3rd. 

Armsted is their starting LT But was occasionally injured and Ramzyck plugged in seamlessly. He is their future LT. Debating CMCs worth was not really my intent. Although I wasn’t a fan of drafting him so high he has surprised me and he is unquestionably the fulcrum of our O. Maybe too much so.

However this thread is about drafting must have LT prospects. My point is good LTs often arent the first guy off the board. I went through the list of top rated T and checked each round where they were drafted and plenty of them were found later than R1.

Patience is key. I reckon red-shirting when possible can have huge benefits as they are slowly brought into a rotation. There are dangers in being a plug and play prospect as an OL. Maybe  taking an OL who has the attributes but needs coaching up has merit. Greg Little/Oli Udoh? I mean it looks like there is a chance Kalil may be kept on. Regardless we do need to draft a tackle.

17 minutes ago, Toomers said:

NE rarely uses the tag except on Ks. Didn’t on Flowers. They usually trade them before this. Plus they have his replacement waiting in last years 1st rounder Isaiah Wynn. That’s the main thing. 

And your pick is a RT. Not a franchise LT. And he is nowhere near as valuable as CMC. 

Wrong. He played mainly RT but like Moton did some spot duty at LT and G. Similarly to Moton they used him in jumbo packages. He will be moved to LT just as many of us would like Moton to be moved to LT. why are we always so keen to put players in a box anyway.

And you missed my point about Brown. My point is NE acquired him for next to nothing and let him go for likely a 3rd R comp. I don’t want to be the victim in that transaction. I want to be the team that emulates this style.

22 minutes ago, rbsponsel52 said:

Not one person here will know what ideas Tepper has until draft draws closer. He may be involved in who to draft and what positions to be filled first. Hopefully the players picked up aren't projects either.

I'm talking about the overall approach to the football side of the organization. Hanging onto the GM who has already tanked the franchise once before. Watching Ron's stubbornness and hesitance to change see the defense flounder helplessly under Washington for the majority of the season. Time and time again watching a young backup come in and play considerably better than the entrenched veteran started but only getting that opportunity due to an injury. Evidently carrying Torrey Smith at a $5M cap hit because he's a nice guy in the locker room. Not freeing up $7.25M in cap space by releasing our subpar, injury prone LT.

From a football approach, it doesn't look like anything at all has changed. It's just more Panthers status quo.

Just now, Seoul_Panther said:

Wrong. He played mainly RT but like Moton did some spot duty at LT. He will be moved to LT just as many of us would like Moton to be moved to LT. why are we always so keen to put players in a box anyway.

And you missed my point about Brown. My point is NE acquired him for next to nothing and let him go for likely a 3rd R comp. I don’t want to be the victim in that transaction. I want to be the team that emulates this style.

He played 4 games at LT at the beginning of his rookie year. And hasn’t played there since. Through numerous injuries to Armstead, Peat was the choice at LT since then. That doesn’t make anyone close to a franchise LT. 

And what’s that plan. You planning on finding a LT on a teams bench. The 49ers messed up. Plain and simple. They wanted a better run blocker at RT. Something less important at LT. He’s been great  in pass- blocking for two years on both sides. 

And all for just cutting Kalil and Smith. What choice of options do you take. Or we can play draft a LT roulette with a weak LT class. 

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He played 4 games at LT at the beginning of his rookie year. And hasn’t played there since. Through numerous injuries to Armstead, Peat was the choice at LT since then. That doesn’t make anyone close to a franchise LT. 

And what’s that plan. You planning on finding a LT on a teams bench. The 49ers messed up. Plain and simple. They wanted a better run blocker at RT. Something less important at LT. He’s been great  in pass- blocking for two years on both sides. 

And all for just cutting Kalil and Smith. What choice of options do you take. Or we can play draft a LT roulette with a weak LT class. 

Theres no sense in arguing about it. It’s just my opinion versus yours and I’m well aware from previous discussions with you that you dont respect my thoughts. I’m not gutted by this.

All drafting is ultimately a roulette.

Tell me this- who do you like as an LT prospect? Also do you think Williams or Taylor can be LTs?

We're not a top DE away from winning the SB. We are a poop o-line away from losing Cam and going into long term rebuilding mode. Now if you are sick of Cam, then yeah hope that we go DE in the draft. That will bring the Cam era to a close, and we can painfully rebuild. Want to turn your tv off on Sundays and get some chores done next season? Then draft defensive players and leave the o-line alone.

Likely to be targeted by GB (his home town) in the 4th or 3rd. I would not be upset about picking him up with one of our 3rd round picks!

I'm not sold on Dillard, and I don't think Williams nor Taylor will be there when we pick. Greg Little is booty trash. Dalton Risner in the 2nd if he is somehow still there would be amazing since he could be like Moton and basically be put anywhere on the line.

1 minute ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Theres no sense in arguing about it. It’s just my opinion versus yours and I’m well aware from previous discussions with you that you dont respect my thoughts. I’m not gutted by this.

All drafting is ultimately a roulette.

Tell me this- who do you like as an LT prospect? Also do you think Williams or Taylor can be LTs?

Sorry. You made, and repeated misleading information. I put some context to it. Anything I said false or not a fact about Ramcyck. 

None. Taylor is intriguing, but I can’t risk a 1st on a guy who may be only able  play the one position I got  covered.  Not taking a RT that high even if we move Moton. And I’ve said for months their isn’t a NFL average LT in this class. I got blasted. Williams is not a LT. Littlei is lazy. Taylor is an unknown. Now, that’s the question posed about all of them. Dillard will get thrown into QBs. Literally. 

It’s harder to find a competent QB than a competent LT. 

When actual good LTs start negotiating. 15/yr  will seem cheap. IfI had a team with a good LT, whose contract is close to up, I broke many things in my office yesterday. 

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

Problem is 

The top 2 OTs

Jonah Williams- can play LT

And

Jawaan Taylor- only experienced RT, and people question him even being able to move to LT.  As LT at Florida was not good and they left Taylor on the RT.

After that its a huge drop off

Not a chance in he11 im putting Cam out there with Dillard at LT

Hopefully and its a good possibility, Jonah Williams fall to our laps at 16

I know you watched Dillard in person at the senior bowl.  I watched the practices online and he wasn’t that bad.  What’s your overall take on Dillard not being worthy?  

I know you keep posting this one clip.  But in the same regard I could post the Ferrell clip of him pancaking Jonah in the championship game.  

Both of these are just one play. 

I really believe either Jonah Williams or Clelin Ferrel will unexpectedly fall to 16 and they will be our pick.

I actually have a lot of faith in Hurney when drafting top tier OT talent. Gross speaks for himself. Also Jeff Otah, who was a beast, but just couldn't stay healthy and had some motivation issues. 

Archived