• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ravens cut Eric Weddle

ncfan

All safeties have to be interchangeable to a certain degree or your defensive secondary is going to be really predictable. Yeah, every coach would love to have that safety who both except in playing centerfielder and at stepping up in the box and playing g tough against the run, but you actually have to pay those guys.

-sc5J6Qd_bigger.jpgCalvin WatkinsVerified account @calvinwatkins
FollowFollow @calvinwatkins
More

Let’s clear this up now. A source tells @TheAthleticDFW Cowboys have no interest in Earl Thomas or Landon Collins. The financial price is too steep. This isn’t new news. Now Cowboys also have no interest in Eric Weddle either. Price is everything.

6:18 PM - 5 Mar 2019

10 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I'm not saying we will do it, but why are people acting like Weddle is a bum?    He's a top 10 FS and would be a monster upgrade here.   

Agreed. He isn't a long-term solution, but other than Mike Minter, the Panthers really haven't had a long-term solution at safety that I can remember.

Weddle *should* be a good signing at a reasonable price that won't break the salary cap and will allow the Panthers to focus draft picks in other positions of need. 

It also helps resolve part of the linebacker issue. Think about this. When the Panthers play a nickel or dime package on defense, it allows Eric Reid to play a hybrid DB/LB spot with Weddle and Gaulden in the safety spots. And Shaq Thompson isn't asked to do what he can't, which is to cover a TE/WR.

I swear Marty Hurney may be the dumbest GM in the league.

Let your damn players see free agency, unless they are great.  We rushed to sign our SS before the opening of free agency...a free agency period where the S position is both undervalued, and over saturated.

13 hours ago, Waldo said:

That is true but he was a year removed from good when we got him and no where near his best his whole time here. His brains are still amazing but his body was used and old before he ever wore our jersey. 

I can't agree with that at all. He was still playing at a high to above average level until last season. 

13 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Let your damn players see free agency, unless they are great.  We rushed to sign our SS before the opening of free agency...a free agency period where the S position is both undervalued, and over saturated.

Signing Reid early meant they had a better picture of what money they have and where to draft though, so I sort of understand.

18 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Are you aware that free agency doesn't open until next week? We have no idea what the safety market is going to be. Everyone is just sorting through rumors and innuendo. 

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Are you aware that free agency doesn't open until next week? We have no idea what the safety market is going to be. Everyone is just sorting through rumors and innuendo. 

I'm fully aware.

Are you aware of trends, other teams cap casualties, and roster management in general?

The S market was/is being devalued, that started at least 2 years ago, and was certainly evident last off season.  Marty, instead of letting Eric test the free agency market, just decided to sign him "before someone else could".  It's called betting against yourself, and Marty has a history of it.

Think Charles Johnson, Eric Reid, and now I'm petrified that we will do the same with Williams.

Maybe the rest of the S's clean up in Free Agency and the Reid contract will look like a bargain....but I highly doubt it.

Archived